There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
Coalitions of Kruger National Park

United States BA0701 Online
Super Moderator

(10-02-2023, 11:14 PM)Brahimlegend Wrote: Kambula #1 seen this afternoon on S1 with a snare on him. Its been reported hopefully they find him. His 2 partners were there also.
Credit: Madeleen

I can't say on here what I'd really like to say. Other than to say that I hope a similar outcome befalls the person who set that up.
11 users Like BA0701's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(10-02-2023, 11:14 PM)Brahimlegend Wrote: Kambula #1 seen this afternoon on S1 with a snare on him. Its been reported hopefully they find him. His 2 partners were there also.
Credit: Madeleen

Looks fresh, good that they found him so early, hopefully they will react quick.

As we already know, this area is one of the most dangerous parts in Kruger.
7 users Like Tr1x24's post

Mwk85 Offline

Zigzag Mbiri and two of his cubs feeding 

7 users Like Mwk85's post

BigLion39 Offline

(10-02-2023, 11:23 PM)BA0701 Wrote: I can't say on here what I'd really like to say. Other than to say that I hope a similar outcome befalls the person who set that up.

I'm with ya my friend! So frustrating. I'm curious, do they set these snares to actually catch lions? Or are they traps for other animals and sometimes lions, leapords, predetors accidentally get snared?
2 users Like BigLion39's post

Duco Ndona Online
Contributor

The latter. The set them at bushes around watering holes and such to catch food. But the larger predators get caught in them aswell.

There are special collars they can outfit them with that burn through the snares. But I dont think they are available for lions.
3 users Like Duco Ndona's post

United States BA0701 Online
Super Moderator

(10-03-2023, 01:25 PM)BigLion39 Wrote:
(10-02-2023, 11:23 PM)BA0701 Wrote: I can't say on here what I'd really like to say. Other than to say that I hope a similar outcome befalls the person who set that up.

I'm with ya my friend! So frustrating. I'm curious, do they set these snares to actually catch lions? Or are they traps for other animals and sometimes lions, leapords, predetors accidentally get snared?

While I've not heard of the collars @Duco Ndona mentioned, it is also my understanding that they set them for random animals, and they sometimes catch lions, and other big cats, in them.
1 user Likes BA0701's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Leeubrons on s36, famous long faced male apperantly in not so great condition, besides his injury on the face, he has some on his body aswell:

Photo credits: couple on safari

*This image is copyright of its original author
12 users Like Tr1x24's post

Brahim Offline
Moderators

Kinkytail Lubyelubye laying with his pride yesterday.
Credit: Jessica Montague

Attached Files Image(s)

10 users Like Brahim's post

Brahim Offline
Moderators

Darkmane Mazithi with his cubs.
Credit: Marnus Van Wyk

Attached Files Image(s)

Brahim Offline
Moderators

Beautiful sighting of Mantimahles with Torchwood pride & cubs.
Graeme Mitchley - Wildlife Photographer

Attached Files Image(s)

9 users Like Brahim's post

Brahim Offline
Moderators

Torchwood pride.

Attached Files Image(s)

9 users Like Brahim's post

Brahim Offline
Moderators

Blonde from 7 Sataras.
Credit: Graeme Mitchley

Attached Files Image(s)

Brahim Offline
Moderators

Looks like the Darkmaned Pretoriuskop male was also snared early last month.

"There were 3 male lions at Nyamundwa Dam on Doispane road late this afternoon. 5pm ish.  One kept rubbing his neck and head in the grass a lot.  I could not get a clear shot of him at all but in this blurred pic it looks like he may have a collar or a snare around his neck.  Can anyone verify either in case this needs attention..??" 4th September.
Credit: Carol Ann Gillespie

Attached Files Image(s)

11 users Like Brahim's post

BigLion39 Offline

(10-04-2023, 05:02 PM)Brahimlegend Wrote: 4th September

Wow thats a month ago. Hope they were helped.
3 users Like BigLion39's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Singita KNP update
  • Lions It has been a great month for lion viewing and we have had multiple sightings of at least four coalitions as well as our resident Shish Pride and Mananga Pride.
  • The Satara/H6 male coalition was sighted once this month, but remain in the far northern reaches of our concession, not venturing further south than Gudzane North area.
  • The Trichardt males have been well fed this month and were first sighted in the eastern hills with full bellies. The next day they were found feeding on the remains of a giraffe carcass in the N’wanetsi River. They spent a good portion of the beginning of the month around Ntsibistane first crossing with the Shish Pride.
  • On the 10th the Shish female with the limp introduced us to her three new cubs, who we believe had been denning in the drainage line nearby. Just one week before we had brief sightings of another two new additions to the Shish Pride in a den-site amid a rocky ridge, bringing the total number of cubs up to 15. After feeding on a zebra carcass near Xingwenyana crossing, the Shish Pride headed west and the Trichardt males patrolled the northern reaches of their territory.
  • Near the end of the month the Trichardt males encountered a portion of the Mananga Pride, and were seen mating with two of the females and chasing the two sub-adult males around the Central Depression.
5 users Like Potato's post