There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
Coalitions of Kruger National Park

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(08-24-2023, 05:54 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Also here i found photo of 2 males from 2016, named Nkaya Pan males:

*This image is copyright of its original author
A good photo of the Sweni male photographed in mid 2020 by Hanno Erasmus. 
(Same male in the left side of the post by @Tr1x24)

5 users Like T I N O's post

United States widmerk Offline

Timbavati, 
Thanks in advance for updating the map; if complete will use it for a trip in Oct.

Man look at the drooping jaw on the Sweni Male, he must be up there in years.
Looks very similar to the S100 Sweni Male below (man there's quite a couple "Sweni" males.......)

8 users Like widmerk's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(08-24-2023, 11:08 PM)widmerk Wrote: Tr1- Yep the Lubyelubye father and son were mine (my pics have a little K in lower right), from June 2021 on H4-2 just South of H5. Had for an hour or so, lots of pics. Stunning males both.

That June 2021 trip was crazy productive, had Western Gomondwanes two times, Lubyelubye father and son for an hour, then the S79/Mazithi males posted earlier, 2 YM on the S21 posted earlier, 2 Ratelpan males below Olifants, Sweni/Nkaya male (?) mating on S126 posted earlier, S100 Sweni male posted earlier, 2 old Nsemani males for an hour who walked beside my bakkie, and a big gent on the H7 2km West of Orpen below.

I'll stop posting throwbacks assuming you guys have had enough but have others if interested.....

We never tire of photos of lions around here, feel free to post as many as you like. Your images are incredible, thank you very much for sharing them with us!

This is another beautiful image, the black and white image really shows the countless scars on the old Lubyelubye male. What a fantastic specimen of a male lion he was.
2 users Like BA0701's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(08-25-2023, 12:07 AM)widmerk Wrote: Timbavati, 
Thanks in advance for updating the map; if complete will use it for a trip in Oct.

Man look at the drooping jaw on the Sweni Male, he must be up there in years.
Looks very similar to the S100 Sweni Male below (man there's quite a couple "Sweni" males.......)

Always a pleasure my friend.

Great shot!! Actually, the Sweni male in the picture above is the brother of the male that I've posted.
2 users Like T I N O's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

@widmerk I can't disagree with this, I suffer from the same issue when comparing domestic cats out here lol.

@Tr1x24 I'm pretty sure when people say HB was the biggest, they mean the heaviest. He is definitely not any taller than the above average males we see everywhere. Avocas, RR, or even the famous lions of HB's time like Mapogos and Majingis, all probably the same height or some even taller than HB, and you can see this by comparing Mapogos, Majingis and Matimbas with Tsalalas and other females they all controlled at some point.

But Matimbas seems to be somehow long lions, and more importantly very bulky, which is what made them impressive to the eye. To give an example Mabande and Ximpoko looked to be the same height, but Ximpoko weighed 33kg more, because he had much more mass than his unrelated partner.

Or maybe a more recent example, are PCM taller than NK? I don't think so, NK might even be taller if we compare them in the same video and with Ximhungwes, but height aside, when PCM chased him, they looked much more impressive because they had longer bodies and much more mass despite being potentially shorter.

RR was said to have weighed 200-210 with an empty stomach, so he's above average, around the same of what Mapogos weighed ( 230kg with stomach content ), but aren't close to that of a real beast like Ximpoko who was 253kg, even though Ximpoko may not be much taller than them.
1 user Likes Mapokser's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

Leeubrons in 2020:

9 users Like Mapokser's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

1/2 Leeubron male back in the day, credits to Hanno Erasmus:

9 users Like Mapokser's post

Brahim Offline
Moderators

(08-24-2023, 04:23 AM)widmerk Wrote: June 2021, found these two on the S21, about 1.5 km below the H4-1. Not sure if they have gone on to bigger things? Pretty good scarring for their age.

Sons of S21 males, not sure if they alive. The fathers also vanished but they were seen recently on s28 after ages.
3 users Like Brahim's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(08-25-2023, 11:20 AM)Mapokser Wrote: 1/2 Leeubron male back in the day, credits to Hanno Erasmus:

Was this male branded? That scar seems awfully symmetrical.
1 user Likes BA0701's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 08-25-2023, 07:18 PM by Tr1x24 )

(08-25-2023, 06:20 PM)BA0701 Wrote: Was this male branded? That scar seems awfully symmetrical.

Yes, if im not mistaken these guys where darted and weighted/observed back in the day, from that comes rumors of them being "biggest lions in Kruger".

But i dont think that info was ever released in public, atleast i didnt find any, maybe there is.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor

Throwback: Sataras in 2021

4 users Like Mdz123's post

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor

1/3 Mazithi/Tshokwane

4 users Like Mdz123's post

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor

The Biyamitis