There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
Coalitions of Kruger National Park

Brahim Offline
Moderators

Snip-Tail Mpondo !
“mating pair" S65, 1.5km S of S1
Tinged by Thuli M - *Kruger Shalati*

Attached Files Image(s)

7 users Like Brahim's post

Brahim Offline
Moderators

Southern Avocas
@Moosa Varachia

Attached Files Image(s)

7 users Like Brahim's post

Brahim Offline
Moderators

Son of jocks and old lubyelubye lioness today 
Credit: Natalia Davel

Attached Files Image(s)

6 users Like Brahim's post

Venezuela titose Offline

Masorini males vs. young male challengers... Dynamics in the letaba area interesting! 

"The calm before the storm. One of two male lions resting this morning minutes before they where in a big fight with younger intruding males. I spotted the second male lion, brother of the one in the photos standing in the bush when one young male lion walked up behind him and a big fight between them broke out, another young intruding male also got involved in the fight. His brother that is in the photo came to help him shortly after the fight broke out and they managed to fight the younger males off and chased them into the bush. With the chaos that broke out and the thicket after all the rain it's difficult to determine how many young intruding males attacked the two males I definitely saw two but I think there was more than two. This afternoon I found one of the two males contact calling his brother, with the chaos that broke out and chasing after this younger intruding males the two brothers lost each other in the thicket. Hopefully they will reunite during the night. They sustained some minor injuries during the fight but nothing serious according to lion standards. The two brothers are definitely a force to be reckoned with and the dominant males of the area."
#Phalaborwa #KNP #Masorinimalecoaliion 
By: Clinton Delport

*This image is copyright of its original author

6 users Like titose's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 03-11-2021, 12:07 AM by Tr1x24 )

Snip Tailed Mpondo near Nwaswitshaka Dam on s65 with a pride :

Photo Credits : Candice Watermeyer

This is exact spot where was Charleston Big Boy last seen in November 2020 with a pride:

It seems that Snip Tailed Mpondo establish himself in that area around s65 and sired cubs, if Big Boy is still alive, he prob moved further west..
6 users Like Tr1x24's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

Some recent sightings of the Masorini males after of the territorial fight with other lions at Phalaborwa in Northern Kruger!
Fresh scars visible on his hind legs after a hectic fight with another coalition earlier today
PC: Rene vd Schyff Wildlife Photography

7 users Like T I N O's post

Brahim Offline
Moderators

Throwback Trichardt Coalition and pride younger. Credit: Graeme Mitchley

Attached Files Image(s)

6 users Like Brahim's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

A lot of activity today on s65 on Kruger Sightings , younger male seen mating with a lioness just north of H1-1 on s65 , this guy was seen regulary mating in this area in the past weeks, he has 1 younger partner (maybe 2) with lesser to no mane:

Also, Mpondo male was seen mating further north on s65 near Nwaswitshaka Dam, i think it might be the Orange Eyed Mpondo male, @Brahimlegend is it him or his brother Snip Tail who was seen regulary in that area ? :

From this, it looks like Mpondos completely abandoned their territory in south and even around Renosterkoppies, and are now in area around s65 and DeLaporte Dam..

I made a little map of this area,from recent sightings, so we can see more clearly what is happening there approx :

Also, Renosterkoppies males where seen around S1/S3/S4, Dreadlocks from DeLaporte and Byamiti young males around Mpondos territory..

In this situation, its hard to tell where is Charleston Big Boy, if he is alive, he must be in the area between Phabenis and Mpondos.. 

This area for me is the most interesting to follow atm, because in the past months to half a year, in this area there was biggest territory shifts, so its really hard to tell what is going on there atm..
6 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States kobe8jf1234 Offline

(03-11-2021, 08:59 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: A lot of activity today on s65 on Kruger Sightings , younger male seen mating with a lioness just north of H1-1 on s65 , this guy was seen regulary mating in this area in the past weeks, he has 1 younger partner (maybe 2) with lesser to no mane:

Also, Mpondo male was seen mating further north on s65 near Nwaswitshaka Dam, i think it might be the Orange Eyed Mpondo male, @Brahimlegend is it him or his brother Snip Tail who was seen regulary in that area ? :

From this, it looks like Mpondos completely abandoned their territory in south and even around Renosterkoppies, and are now in area around s65 and DeLaporte Dam..

I made a little map of this area,from recent sightings, so we can see more clearly what is happening there approx :

Also, Renosterkoppies males where seen around S1/S3/S4, Dreadlocks from DeLaporte and Byamiti young males around Mpondos territory..

In this situation, its hard to tell where is Charleston Big Boy, if he is alive, he must be in the area between Phabenis and Mpondos.. 

This area for me is the most interesting to follow atm, because in the past months to half a year, in this area there was biggest territory shifts, so its really hard to tell what is going on there atm..
where is the Talamati male (in coalition with the two older Mangheni males) are they alive ? there too many coalition in that area 
1 user Likes kobe8jf1234's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(03-12-2021, 01:41 AM)kobe8jf1234 Wrote: where is the Talamati male (in coalition with the two older Mangheni males) are they alive ? there too many coalition in that area

That Talamati hasn't been seen since late 2019,and then he was not with 2 Mhangenis..

United States kobe8jf1234 Offline

(03-12-2021, 01:58 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(03-12-2021, 01:41 AM)kobe8jf1234 Wrote: where is the Talamati male (in coalition with the two older Mangheni males) are they alive ? there too many coalition in that area

That Talamati hasn't been seen since late 2019,and then he was not with 2 Mhangenis..

are the 2 mhangenis alive then where are they did they form another coalition with other males ?

Venezuela titose Offline

1/2 Sable Dam/Masorini males, the warriors! 
Starting the morning with a beautiful male lion on the move south down the H14, just 10.5km from Phalaborwa Gate 

Tinged by Alberto - Matimba Bush Lodge

4 users Like titose's post

Brahim Offline
Moderators

@Tr1x24 Looks like Snip tail still. Yeah if big boys alive he has to be in his old spot around s4. But yeah I’m constantly keeping an eye on this area too very interesting right now. I love Charleston males and Mpondo so if they have fought and some have died it would be sad. But yeah we have to wait and see hopefully we get a sighting of one of those other two Mpondo or Charleston Male or Big boy jr, it would help figure out what the deal is.
4 users Like Brahim's post

Brahim Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 03-12-2021, 03:43 PM by Brahim )

@kobe8jf1234 That place where mhangeni and Talamati were last seen has a high concentration of poaching a lot of young males caught in snares during lockdown around there.
3 users Like Brahim's post

Brahim Offline
Moderators

But doesn’t mean there isn’t hope for mhangeni and Talamati. Recently some male who grew up west of h1-1 have pictures of him with his pride young. Wasn’t seen for years then recently he turned up looking good around the area they should be
3 users Like Brahim's post