There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
Coalitions of Kruger National Park

Gijima Offline

Berg en Dal, Nov 2018
Credit: Our Life in Kruger 

*This image is copyright of its original author
5 users Like Gijima's post

Venezuela titose Offline

Watch the next generation "Lion Kings" of the Nwaswitsontso Pride in Kruger National Park.

3 users Like titose's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Singita KNP update
  • The Shishangaan Pride has been seen frequently on the concession. They are in good condition and have been sighted with full bellies. One of the cubs who was previously struggling with mange, has now sustained additional injuries of unknown origin which has left it with a missing eye and injured/tattered ear, however, when sighted, the little cub has not let its condition get the better of him and was still managing to keep up with the rest of the pride.
  • The Mananga Pride has been maintaining their stronghold around the north-western parts of our concession, predominantly around Gudzane Dam. The two Shishangaan males were also seen with the Mananga Pride on a few occasions.
  • The Mountain Pride has also been seen on the property accompanied by Xihamham (Shish male) on a couple of those occasions.
  • An unknown coalition of two males were seen steadily heading in a northly direction around N’wanetsi through territories that have been actively defended by the likes of the Kumana male and Shishangaan males, leaving nothing but tracks as evidence of their presence.
  • Another unknown coalition of four adult male lions were seen feeding on a buffalo in the central parts of our concession.
5 users Like Potato's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

The three Mopani males on the move at Letaba in the H14
Image credits: Kobus of Beer

6 users Like T I N O's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

Beautiful male lion photographed today near Lower Sabie in the Kruger National Park
One of the two SLS/Tshokwane males
Photo credits: Ruan Minnaar
KNP-Lower Sabie-12.05.20
6 users Like T I N O's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(12-05-2020, 05:08 AM)BA0701 Wrote: First thing I thought of as soon as I saw the picture. Clearly there is something going on. I know that AIDS causes sores on people, not sure if it affects cats in the same way, I'm also not sure of the exact affects of TB in cats either, as it seems to affect them differently than it does people. This is all very troubling, to say the least.

Thats muscle eating TB.. As far as I understand, not all TB's are dangerous (same as cancer to humans).. This one is and occurs on back legs of lion (mosty after injury, its some kind of a trigger) and eats whole muscle to the point that even bones are visible, example of Sizanani:

Exact thing happened to Nsuku and prob Hip Scar Majingilane..

Buddy and DeLaporte Talamati prob have exact thing.. 

It seems that most males in Kruger has TB, but not all have this one which is dangerous..
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(12-06-2020, 02:21 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(12-05-2020, 05:08 AM)BA0701 Wrote: First thing I thought of as soon as I saw the picture. Clearly there is something going on. I know that AIDS causes sores on people, not sure if it affects cats in the same way, I'm also not sure of the exact affects of TB in cats either, as it seems to affect them differently than it does people. This is all very troubling, to say the least.

Thats muscle eating TB.. As far as I understand, not all TB's are dangerous (same as cancer to humans).. This one is and occurs on back legs of lion (mosty after injury, its some kind of a trigger) and eats whole muscle to the point that even bones are visible, example of Sizanani:

Exact thing happened to Nsuku and prob Hip Scar Majingilane..

Buddy and DeLaporte Talamati prob have exact thing.. 

It seems that most males in Kruger has TB, but not all have this one which is dangerous..

I wish they were able to inoculate these animals. Not like there are so many that the losses in such numbers aren't detrimental to the species. Not to mention how heartbreaking it is watching them deteriorate in such a way.
2 users Like BA0701's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

" Not like there are so many that the losses in such numbers aren't detrimental to the species."

The lion population in the KNP is as healty as it can be. Moreover even one, single male without a competition can cover females even from multiple big prides so low amount of males bassicly never can be an issue. On the any dying pride or ageing male there are always few young males for which it is great opportunity. 

"Not to mention how heartbreaking it is watching them deteriorate in such a way."

You can not just think of pain of those dirrect lions, but also on consequences that helping lions brings up, like for example lifes of prey animals. Helping lion means also death sentence for a multiple species this lion would kill through his life and that is just a one of many issues helping lions would bring.  I am myself great supported of KNP's no intreferance policy. Of course it is sad to see lions we are following and getting attached to die, but unforturetly that is exactly how wildlife works. There are constantly some animals suffering and dying from various reasons like since or just being killed by another animal. The only way to cut such suffering would be to destroy wildlife and close up all the reserves, but would it be what should have been done. I definitelly do not think so. Seeing some lions in wildlife died is just rough reality we have to live with.
3 users Like Potato's post

Super Moderator

(12-06-2020, 03:02 AM)Potato Wrote: " Not like there are so many that the losses in such numbers aren't detrimental to the species."

The lion population in the KNP is as healty as it can be. Moreover even one, single male without a competition can cover females even from multiple big prides so low amount of males bassicly never can be an issue. On the any dying pride or ageing male there are always few young males for which it is great opportunity. 

"Not to mention how heartbreaking it is watching them deteriorate in such a way."

You can not just think of pain of those dirrect lions, but also on consequences that helping lions brings up, like for example lifes of prey animals. Helping lion means also death sentence for a multiple species this lion would kill through his life and that is just a one of many issues helping lions would bring.  I am myself great supported of KNP's no intreferance policy. Of course it is sad to see lions we are following and getting attached to die, but unforturetly that is exactly how wildlife works. There are constantly some animals suffering and dying from various reasons like since or just being killed by another animal. The only way to cut such suffering would be to destroy wildlife and close up all the reserves, but would it be what should have been done. I definitelly do not think so. Seeing some lions in wildlife died is just rough reality we have to live with.

Are you implying that the loss of an antelope or buffalo could have the same impact the loss of a lion would have? For starters the numbers of lions is but a small fraction of the numbers of the animals they prey upon. Just as we have seen with sea lions, whitetail deer, or any countless other examples, if the shark population decreases drastically the sea lion population increases beyond the capabilities of the surrounding food sources often leading to starving animals, or if certain areas minimize or eliminate hunting of whitetail deer, the numbers of these animals increases exponentially, and such increases have been proven to be detrimental to the area's population of the species as a whole. Whereas the loss of a single male lion can quite directly lead to the loss of many cubs and even some lionesses, and given the much smaller numbers of the lions this could have a much more detrimental impact on so many others in the surrounding areas. Comparing the two is quite simply apples and oranges. The loss of a single lion is far more consequential than the prey he may take as a result of prolonging his life.
5 users Like BA0701's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 12-06-2020, 04:01 AM by Tr1x24 )

(12-06-2020, 03:02 AM)Potato Wrote: You can not just think of pain of those dirrect lions, but also on consequences that helping lions brings up, like for example lifes of prey animals. Helping lion means also death sentence for a multiple species this lion would kill through his life and that is just a one of many issues helping lions would bring.  I am myself great supported of KNP's no intreferance policy. Of course it is sad to see lions we are following and getting attached to die, but unforturetly that is exactly how wildlife works. There are constantly some animals suffering and dying from various reasons like since or just being killed by another animal. The only way to cut such suffering would be to destroy wildlife and close up all the reserves, but would it be what should have been done. I definitelly do not think so. Seeing some lions in wildlife died is just rough reality we have to live with.

Agree with @Potato on this one.. Its sad to see lions die of disease's and injuries.. But thats balance of nature... Saving lions in Kruger would prob trigger effect of lack of prey for them in long run, which would mean more compatitions, starving and dying of lions..

Overpopulation of lions is not good because of that..

I think Mara has problem with that.. Too many lions in that area, young males cant get an chance, they get ousted from that area and roam into villages where they get killed by locals in search for prey..

Kruger is fine as it is..

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 12-06-2020, 04:06 AM by Tr1x24 )

(12-06-2020, 03:50 AM)BA0701 Wrote: Whereas the loss of a single male lion can quite directly lead to the loss of many cubs and even some lionesses, and given the much smaller numbers of the lions this could have a much more detrimental impact on so many others in the surrounding areas. Comparing the two is quite simply apples and oranges. The loss of a single lion is far more consequential than the prey he may take as a result of prolonging his life.

Male lion will always get replaced by others.. And even if his cubs will get killed, new coalition will sire new ones.. Thats how it is..

Just look how many lions Majingilanes killed, but they sired more.

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(12-06-2020, 03:59 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(12-06-2020, 03:50 AM)BA0701 Wrote: Whereas the loss of a single male lion can quite directly lead to the loss of many cubs and even some lionesses, and given the much smaller numbers of the lions this could have a much more detrimental impact on so many others in the surrounding areas. Comparing the two is quite simply apples and oranges. The loss of a single lion is far more consequential than the prey he may take as a result of prolonging his life.

Male lion will always get replaced by others.. And even if his cubs will get killed, new coalition will sire new ones.. Thats how it is..

I would also add to this that:

1. Gene poll gets better when new males switch old ones as a rulers of the pride. I fact he very rarely can see  inbreading in lions prides in Kruger.
2. In the long run younger males have better chance to live long enoght to carry protection for his cubs all thir way to adulthood.
3. Argument of a lost of single male leading to loss of many cubs works also in opposite way as this saved lion can kill cubs of other male from other pride.
1 user Likes Potato's post

Super Moderator

Single lion will always get replaced by others.. And even if his cubs will get killed, new coalition will sire new ones.. Thats how it is..

Using that example, the Majingilanes, and since we have not heard specific numbers claimed as we have with the 100 reportedly killed by the Mapogos, the Mapogos absolutely did not sire 100 cubs, and I somehow doubt that the Majingilanes "History's most brutal killers" sired more cubs than the numbers they killed as well. 

I was simply stating my personal desires, no more than so many others have recently stated in regards to the wish that someone had intervened with Junior. People are free to their own opinions, and if those opinions differ from mine that is perfectly fine and acceptable. However, to imply that the act of prolonging a lion's life will have the same negative impact on prey species, that the death of said lion will have on the lion population is simply not true. In fact, the deaths of too many lions will have a greater negative impact on prey species due to the increase in those populations and the inability for the surrounding lands to maintain proper levels of food sources for them. That has been shown to lead to starvation and disease. The effects of a lions death reverberates through the surrounding areas, and to the lion population in general, whereas the death of an antelope or buffalo is not nearly as consequential to that species as a whole. To desire nature to carry on as it always has with no human involvement, is a perfectly acceptable and justifiable opinion to have, but to use the negligible impact that prolonging that lions life on the surrounding prey species is off the mark in my opinion.
4 users Like BA0701's post

Super Moderator

(12-06-2020, 04:17 AM)Potato Wrote:

"Argument of a lost of single male leading to loss of many cubs works also in opposite way as this saved lion can kill cubs of other male from other pride."

Good point
1 user Likes BA0701's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

"Are you implying that the loss of an antelope or buffalo could have the same impact the loss of a lion would have"

I am implying that other animals suffer, feel pain the same way lions do and I do not see reason why should I feel more compassion for the suffering lion than a suffering buffalo. What is the logic behind supporting lions and no any other animals?

" For starters the numbers of lions is but a small fraction of the numbers of the animals they prey upon. Just as we have seen with sea lions, whitetail deer, or any countless other examples, if the shark population decreases drastically the sea lion population increases beyond the capabilities of the surrounding food sources often leading to starving animals, or if certain areas minimize or eliminate hunting of whitetail deer, the numbers of these animals increases exponentially, and such increases have been proven to be detrimental to the area's population of the species as a whole."

That is exactly why we should leave nature to balance it self. Nature was balancing itself perfectly for a milions of years before humans appeared and will do perfectly fine in that regard without human. Human interventions can just broke it. 

"Whereas the loss of a single male lion can quite directly lead to the loss of many cubs and even some lionesses, and given the much smaller numbers of the lions this could have a much more detrimental impact on so many others in the surrounding areas. Comparing the two is quite simply apples and oranges. The loss of a single lion is far more consequential than the prey he may take as a result of prolonging his life."

Well... Kruger has already quite long history and you can see how the lion population is doing under it policy and that is perfectly healty.

"Using that example, the Majingilanes, and since we have not heard specific numbers claimed as we have with the 100 reportedly killed by the Mapogos, the Mapogos absolutely did not sire 100 cubs"

I do not understand what has that got to do with Kruger's policy. Such big, overpowered coalitions, killing what gets in their way will appear here and there from time to time no matter what policy Kruger would use.

" and I somehow doubt that the Majingilanes "History's most brutal killers" sired more cubs than the numbers they killed as well. "

I think they did. They did not killed that much cubs and sired cubs in 7 different prides.

"However, to imply that the act of prolonging a lion's life will have the same negative impact on prey species, that the death of said lion will have on the lion population is simply not true. In fact, the deaths of too many lions will have a greater negative impact on prey species due to the increase in those populations and the inability for the surrounding lands to maintain proper levels of food sources for them. That has been shown to lead to starvation and disease. The effects of a lions death reverberates through the surrounding areas, and to the lion population in general, whereas the death of an antelope or buffalo is not nearly as consequential to that species as a whole."

Through Magopo era 60% of lion population in Sabi Sands disappeared and what came out of it? Nature will balance itself perfectly fine and human involvement can only cause problems.
2 users Like Potato's post