There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
Coalitions of Kruger National Park

Brahim Offline
Moderators

@titose Those pictures just look weird because of the sun and light makes them look like gomondwanes. Kerry Kruger’s pride Safari messaged me she was at same sighting they were all black maned just light makes them look blonde and Kyle Smith has a video on IG of the sighting shows it’s 3 shishangeni
2 users Like Brahim's post

Brahim Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 11-25-2020, 01:00 PM by Brahim )

(11-25-2020, 02:54 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Can we talk about who sired which Mpondo?

5th was born around 2007 in Vurhami Pride, i think thats too early to be sired by old Gomondwanes and is he related to this current Vurhami/H4 male? :

*This image is copyright of its original author

Snip Tail and his brother:

This 2 brutes where born in Jock Pride around 2011, after Old Jock and his 5 sons was ousted, so this 2 are sired by 4 Mlambane males..

Blonde male and Sharp Eyes:

This 2 brothers where born around 2011 in Lukimbi pride, its hard to find who sired them because Lukimbi dont name their lions for some reason..

But i found that from 2010 there where 6 new lions in that area, and later on in 2012/13 there where sightings of 4,5 of them regulary.. So i assume those lions might be old Gomondwane males, especially because 1 male had blind eye, just as 1 of the Gomondwanes:

If anybody have some more insight, or opinions pls share..

5th isn’t that old. He was born 2009 vurhami pride had to be gomondwanes he shares too many similarities to them and the Shishangeni. Two jock pride ones were Mlambane males. And the Lukimbi pride didn’t used to be in Mjejane right they moved their 2015. But were ruled by the two old Lukimbi males probably the fathers of the two Lukimbi. They vanished 2017 at 12 years old. Then two croc bridge males ruled the pride for a year before 3 year old Mjejane males came in 2018. That s28 male was probably sired by old gomondwanes too

South Africa Gerhard Offline

(11-25-2020, 01:39 AM)2019 Feb: Renosterkoppies dam U1 Pckts Wrote:
(11-25-2020, 01:37 AM)TinoArmando Wrote: The fallen king of the Mpondo coalition!
The 5th Mpondo male in all his glory!
KNP,-02/05/2014
Photo credit to: Stef Botha

MAJESTIC KING

MPONDO MALE
5TH MALE aka BRANDED MALE-Legend
Yesterday morning the team found the remains of a male lion,it was only a 50 meters away from where the oldest and injured MPONDO had been laying for a few days(last tuesday).
The vultures and hyenas made good work at cleaning the carcass, so we are unable to identify with absolute confidence, but are assuming that the remains are of the older 'BRANDED' MPONDO MALE.

NOTE
?
He was the Solo Male who used to stay with the pride and was not seen with other 4 brothers on patrol.He was the oldest among other 4 males and he was father of ew cubs in his pride recently.

He was engaged in a fight with other males a week ago probably with the 3 MJEJANE MALES or the 4 S26 MALES.Not sure of his killer.He was injured mainly on his back and leg and yesterday a carcass was found which is presumed to be his carcass.

Once a mighty force of 5 males now probably is going down to 3 because BLONDE the smallest male among the remaining 4 has TB and in very bad shape.

Pic 1- MPONDO MALE known as the 5th MALE or BRANDED one looking handsome which was taken on last month 28th October 2020.
Pic 2- MPONDO MALE known as the 5th MALE or BRANDED one before the confrontation looking fit and fine.
Pic 3- MPONDO MALE known as the 5th MALE or BRANDED one after the confrontation.
Pic 4- MPONDO MALE known as the 5th MALE or BRANDED one.Carcass is presumed of the 5th MPONDO MALE.
Film 5-MPONDO MALE known as the 5th MALE ot the BRANDED one after the confrontation

?RIP?
?5th MPONDO MALE or BRANDED MALE?

? Credits-
Pic 1,3- @wildlifehuibs
Pic 2-Nadav
Pic 4 & ? 5-Louis Strauss @jocksafari
KNP
1 user Likes Gerhard's post

T I N O Online
Moderators

(11-25-2020, 12:59 PM)Brahimlegend Wrote:

5th was born around 2007 in Vurhami Pride, i think thats too early to be sired by old Gomondwanes and is he related to this current Vurhami/H4 male? :

This 2 brutes where born in Jock Pride around 2011, after Old Jock and his 5 sons was ousted, so this 2 are sired by 4 Mlambane males..

This 2 brothers where born around 2011 in Lukimbi pride, its hard to find who sired them because Lukimbi dont name their lions for some reason..

But i found that from 2010 there where 6 new lions in that area, and later on in 2012/13 there where sightings of 4,5 of them regulary.. So i assume those lions might be old Gomondwane males, especially because 1 male had blind eye, just as 1 of the Gomondwanes:

5th isn’t that old. He was born 2009 vurhami pride had to be gomondwanes he shares too many similarities to them and the Shishangeni. Two jock pride ones were Mlambane males. And the Lukimbi pride didn’t used to be in Mjejane right they moved their 2015. But were ruled by the two old Lukimbi males probably the fathers of the two Lukimbi. They vanished 2017 at 12 years old. Then two croc bridge males ruled the pride for a year before 3 year old Mjejane males came in 2018. That s28 male was probably sired by old gomondwanes too

Hey bro. The 5th Mpondo born in 2007.
1 user Likes T I N O's post

T I N O Online
Moderators

(11-25-2020, 12:59 PM)Brahimlegend Wrote:

The 5th Mpondo male with a lioness in 2017
Photo credit to: Liezl Lewis

2 users Like T I N O's post

Brahim Offline
Moderators

Everyone goes by 11. It was that William Ellsworth or something that made up the 13 thing.(didn’t know him heard from friends) But apparently he claimed a lot of wrong things. Big on wild Hanno go by 11. Even jock lodge said yesterday he died 11
3 users Like Brahim's post

T I N O Online
Moderators

A great pic of the 5 Mpondo males at Mjejane Game Reserve in May 2014. the 5 males had already left Mjejane end 2015 sometime.
Photo credit to: Dave Pusey

3 users Like T I N O's post

T I N O Online
Moderators

Another great photo of the 5th Mpondo male in 2013. 
He was branded with U1 in August 19,2013 on his back left leg. Here the brand seems fresh.
Photo credit to: Stef Botha

4 users Like T I N O's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(11-25-2020, 12:59 PM)Brahimlegend Wrote: 5th isn’t that old. He was born 2009 vurhami pride had to be gomondwanes he shares too many similarities to them and the Shishangeni. Two jock pride ones were Mlambane males. And the Lukimbi pride didn’t used to be in Mjejane right they moved their 2015. But were ruled by the two old Lukimbi males probably the fathers of the two Lukimbi. They vanished 2017 at 12 years old. Then two croc bridge males ruled the pride for a year before 3 year old Mjejane males came in 2018. That s28 male was probably sired by old gomondwanes too

Yeah, 5th Mpondo is prob younger as you said, born in 2009, and on that photo which @TinoArmando posted from 2013,he certaintly looks like 4 yrs old male and not 6.. So he is prob brother or cousin of H4 Vurhami male, both sired by Old Gomondwanes.. 

For 2 Lukimbi brothers, yes i know about 2 Lukimbi males, but where they dominant over that pride that early, in 2011 already? 

From pictures i found its clear that Old Gomondwanes where in that area in 2010-2013/14..
4 users Like Tr1x24's post

Brahim Offline
Moderators

@Tr1x24 yeah that’s the issue couldn’t find anything to confirm how long they ruled for even If they did die at 12 they may have only ruled some of those years there. But couldn’t find much with Gomondwanes and the Lukimbi pride. So has to be one of these two coalitions

T I N O Online
Moderators

Thank you guys @Tr1x24 and @"Brahimlegend" Both of you were right. Stef Botha confirmed me now that he died at the age of 11. Sorry for the mistaken.

T I N O Online
Moderators

Stef Botha: Hi Tino, I saw him for the 1st time Sep 2013. He was about 4 years old at that stage. So I guess he was about 11 years old.
2 users Like T I N O's post

Brahim Offline
Moderators

@Tr1x24 maybe rob the ranger could answer the question he was at Lukimbi lodge 2011. Il ask him
3 users Like Brahim's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Mpondos patroling, prob around 1 year ago:

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CH_-0r3gAtg...is26f3e3la
4 users Like Tr1x24's post

T I N O Online
Moderators

(11-25-2020, 07:10 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Mpondos patroling, prob around 1 year ago:

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CH_-0r3gAtg...is26f3e3la

Yes,It was a 1 year ago as we can seen Blondie(Mpondo male) is walking fine