There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
Coalitions of Kruger National Park

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Mohawk Tshokwane male:

*This image is copyright of its original author
5 users Like Tr1x24's post

239Pu Offline

(07-20-2020, 12:02 AM)TinoArmando Wrote: A huge and intimidating looking of 1/2 S28 males taken during a rain day at the Kruger National Park
Credit: Diressh Parbhoo

is this the same Lion ?

Quote:Tr1x24
Vurhami/H4 male :
He comes from Vurhami pride, i dont know for sure but hes fathers are most likely Old Gomondwane males. 
He and his unrelated partner hold a territory around H4-2 and s28 road, north of Shishangeni and east of Lubyelubye males territory.
2 users Like 239Pu's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(07-20-2020, 06:28 AM)239Pu Wrote:
(07-20-2020, 12:02 AM)TinoArmando Wrote: A huge and intimidating looking of 1/2 S28 males taken during a rain day at the Kruger National Park
Credit: Diressh Parbhoo

is this the same Lion ?

Quote:Tr1x24
Vurhami/H4 male :
He comes from Vurhami pride, i dont know for sure but hes fathers are most likely Old Gomondwane males. 
He and his unrelated partner hold a territory around H4-2 and s28 road, north of Shishangeni and east of Lubyelubye males territory.

Yes.
Are the same males, his partner have a mohawk mane.
A very recognizable duo.
2 users Like T I N O's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

A stunning male lion in the green vegetation!
Image date: January 2019
Credit: Naygiva

4 users Like T I N O's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

One of the mantimahle males (3-tooth)
Credit: Sebastianlindel nature

5 users Like T I N O's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

Another picture that i've post a couple of days ago but from a different perspective.
1/2 Leeubron males taken in the S126 Sweni road.
the short tailed Leeubron, Looking in perfect condition to be on their seniors years
Credit: Emily Whiting

6 users Like T I N O's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 07-20-2020, 09:31 PM by T I N O Edit Reason: More words. )

The three Mjejane males at Kruger National Park 
Both males have do a very great job in defend their territory against the six young males.
However the six males are still to young to be dominant by themselves, At the age of 2.5 and 3 years need gain more confidece.
The three Mjejane are 6.5 years old and much bigger and even have more confidence and experience in those territorial fights.
Credit: Matthew Uys

7 users Like T I N O's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

So it seems that 5 young Gomondwane males takeover Vurhami pride from Shishangeni males, report from month ago:

"Happy Father's Day to all the dedicated Dad's out there!

We had an amazing week out in the Southern Kruger Park and got to catch up with so many male lions and dads from different coalitions! So we thought it was appropriate to share another image of a magnificent male lion.

This battle scarred male is 1 of the Gomondwane coalition of 5 who have taken over the Vurhami Pride from the Shishangeni males. His scars are most likely from fighting with one of his brothers as he was following a Vurhami Lioness around and they were probably mating."

By Leo Vantage Private Guided Safaris

Also comment that their 2 brothers split :

Shishangenis are stil dominant around s25.
7 users Like Tr1x24's post

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

Pierre Jonqueres: " Wake up! "

2 users Like Spalea's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(07-20-2020, 11:39 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: So it seems that 5 young Gomondwane males takeover Vurhami pride from Shishangeni males, report from month ago:

"Happy Father's Day to all the dedicated Dad's out there!

We had an amazing week out in the Southern Kruger Park and got to catch up with so many male lions and dads from different coalitions! So we thought it was appropriate to share another image of a magnificent male lion.

This battle scarred male is 1 of the Gomondwane coalition of 5 who have taken over the Vurhami Pride from the Shishangeni males. His scars are most likely from fighting with one of his brothers as he was following a Vurhami Lioness around and they were probably mating."

By Leo Vantage Private Guided Safaris

Also comment that their 2 brothers split :

Shishangenis are stil dominant around s25.

One of the most powerful coalition in the Southern parts of the Kruger National Park.
The old Gomondwane were very successful with their offsprings!

A bit off-topic but are lot of strong coalitions currently, But the Mantimahle males have demonstrated how hold a big territory even more bigger than Sabi Sands for 5/6 years! and with the five members alive.

I hope they can raise all the cubs/sub-adults of the Nkuhlu pride well.
4 users Like T I N O's post

Hairy tummy Offline

Are the young gomondwane males related to the sishangeni males?
1 user Likes Hairy tummy's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(07-21-2020, 12:51 AM)TinoArmando Wrote: One of the most powerful coalition in the Southern parts of the Kruger National Park.

A bit off-topic but are lot of strong coalitions currently, But the Mantimahle males have demonstrated how hold a big territory even more bigger than Sabi Sands for 5/6 years! and with the five members alive.

Yes, Mantimahles are definetly one of the most dominant and strongest coalition in recent times, shame that because they are in Kruger we couldn't follow them closer, but from what we do know, they hold vast territory for about 5 yrs, killing many adult and subadult males thru the years, some of which we know of, and some we dont. 

And to all 5 members reach 10 yrs old is just unbelievable, very strong genes..
5 users Like Tr1x24's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(07-21-2020, 01:34 AM)Hairy tummy Wrote: Are the young gomondwane males related to the sishangeni males?

They are half-brothers.
Both coalitions were sired by the same fathers :)
3 users Like T I N O's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 07-21-2020, 01:53 AM by T I N O Edit Reason: A bit mistake with a word. )

(07-21-2020, 01:37 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(07-21-2020, 12:51 AM)TinoArmando Wrote: One of the most powerful coalition in the Southern parts of the Kruger National Park.

Yes, Mantimahles are definetly one of the most dominant and strongest coalition in recent times, shame that because they are in Kruger we couldn't follow them closer, but from what we do know, they hold vast territory for about 5 yrs, killing many adult and subadult males thru the years, some of which we know of, and some we dont. 

And to all 5 members reach 10 yrs old is just unbelievable, very strong genes..
Very agree with you.
i know that the Mpondo or Gomondwane or even Shishangeni are very strong males.
But the Mantimahle are just the perfect coalition to follow by close and understand the lion behavior and their dynamics!
Originally as seven brothers only five have reached up the adulthood. (Exist rumours that the 6th is alive but i don't believe it.)

if i remember correctly, they currently are holding almost big part of Skukuza and Lower sabie, Basically one of the most famous parts of the Kruger National Park, The mighty Skukuza area!
2 users Like T I N O's post

United States Matimbalani Offline

(07-20-2020, 11:39 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Shishangeni males
Are the Shishangeni still three? The Gomondwane seem to be following them.
1 user Likes Matimbalani's post