There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
Coalitions of Kruger National Park

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(03-06-2023, 07:36 PM)Wyld@Heart Wrote: Mo Vurhami was relocated up there wasn't he? Or was it another male from the south, my memory is a little hazy. Could it be..., it's in the right region...

It was Snip Tail Mpondo and 1 of younger HP males.

Speaking of Mo, any info?
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Hairy tummy Offline

5 users Like Hairy tummy's post

South Africa Wyld@Heart Offline

(03-06-2023, 08:26 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: It was Snip Tail Mpondo and 1 of younger HP males.
Ah yeah, thanks bud. Indeed. Likely to be one of them I'd imagine. It's considerably less busy than the south so updates and sightings like this are few and far between, if it can be considered an update so let's go with speculation.

I've not heard tell of Mo in ages either. Who knows, eh? I like to imagine him lounging in a comfy dry riverbed in the shade of an ancient jackelberry with a full belly and couple of contented lionesses and cubs close at hand.
2 users Like Wyld@Heart's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Who controls the Maroela pride that are seen by the guys at  Rhino Post Lodge? 

5 users Like Tonpa's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(03-07-2023, 07:33 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Who controls the Maroela pride that are seen by the guys at  Rhino Post Lodge? 

Depends who are "Maroela pride" and where they hang, as this is first time i hear that pride name.

Around Rhino Post you usually find Plains Camp pride in wester areas, and Matimahle/S36/Kruger tablets pride (yea they have many names) further east .

Plains Camps are in control of S.Avocas, while 3 Imbalis and 3 Mazithi/Tshokwanes are apperantly still fighting for Mantimahles.

Is Maroela pride just another name for some of those prides, or completly new pride, idk. 

Maybe somebody knows.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor

(03-07-2023, 07:48 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Is Maroela pride just another name for some of those prides, or completly new pride, idk. 

Maybe somebody knows.
 Maroela pride is another name for the Plains Camp pride. James Smith, guide, gave that name. 
5 users Like lionuk's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor

(03-07-2023, 07:33 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Who controls the Maroela pride that are seen by the guys at  Rhino Post Lodge? 
Another name for Plains Camp pride
4 users Like lionuk's post

Brahim Offline
Moderators

Fourways Blondie seen with a Phabeni, some lioness and youngsters 
Credit: BCH Photography

Attached Files Image(s)

12 users Like Brahim's post

Brahim Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 03-09-2023, 02:18 PM by Brahim )

So those 3 by Letaba maybe weren't sired by Mingerhout I couldn't find any proof they are the fathers. But spoke to some guys up there and we think maybe the Old Ngobeni males sired them, a lady thinks she saw them as cubs with Ngobenis. But anyway still not 100percent, but this one of the 3 does share strong similarities to the bigger Ngobeni. First 2 pics of 1/3 young males, last 2 are old pics of Ngobeni male

Attached Files Image(s)

7 users Like Brahim's post

Brahim Offline
Moderators
Smile 

1 Lion sleeping on Monday
"Male, under a bush with leftovers of a zebra kill."
S63 sand, at the Pafuri Picnic Site junction
Near Wilderness Safari Lodge
Tinged by Friedrich von Hörsten

So saw this must be Hippo pools no other males there but I spoke to Friedrich anyway and he confirmed the male had a collar. So good Hippo is alive even though Sniptail was poached.

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(03-09-2023, 03:21 PM)Brahimlegend Wrote: So good Hippo is alive even though Sniptail was poached.

What?
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Brahim Offline
Moderators

I spoke to someone there Sniptail Mpondo was poached they just didn't release the whole story before and don't intend to from what I heard

lionuk Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 03-09-2023, 04:49 PM by lionuk )

(03-09-2023, 04:08 PM)Brahimlegend Wrote: I spoke to someone there Sniptail Mpondo was poached they just didn't release the whole story before and don't intend to from what I heard

Very shameful! He was in his prime. It was the officials who sent him to his death. They knew they were sending him and Hippo Pool to their death when they relocated them to unsuitable place with a bad history of poisonings and poaching!  

Now I worry for Hippo Pool male. It's not too late to take him out of there. So sad for him, he doesn't have a partner anymore.
6 users Like lionuk's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Yea, they relocated few lions north, only to leave them "unprotected" in "suspicious" enviroment..

Better to leave them south, and leave them to destiny and nature, then move them north, "saving" them ,only to be killed by humans..

Sad end for legendary Snip Tail Mpondo.
9 users Like Tr1x24's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(03-09-2023, 04:08 PM)Brahimlegend Wrote: I spoke to someone there Sniptail Mpondo was poached they just didn't release the whole story before and don't intend to from what I heard

OMG! That's really sad. Snip-tail was such a good looking specimen, one of the darkest maned male lions i've ever seen in recent times. Shameful!!!
6 users Like Timbavati's post