There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
Coalitions of Kruger National Park

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Singita KNP October update

• Lion sightings have continued to be phenomenal during October. The summer rains have not yet arrived, and as such the N’wanetsi and Sweni Rivers along with the Gudzane drainage system attract large concentrations of animals to the concession, resulting in abundant prey for the lions.
 • The Mananga Pride have made at least six confirmed buffalo kills, and probably a few more that we did not find. Both portions of the pride have been seen virtually daily, sometimes together, when the feeding frenzies are taking place. The two Shishangaan males are still the rulers of their domain and are regularly seen with the pride. Seeing over 25 lions lying sprawled out near their kills remains an aweinspiring sight. 
• The Shishangaan Pride of seven females has also provided countless hours of viewing this month, often accompanied by the two Trichard males who are the dominant territorial males in the southern parts of the concession. For weeks the speculation as to the location of a den-site has been a talking point between the guides and, on the 24th of October, we managed to get the first view of the three new additions to the pride. This is a very vulnerable time for the survival of the cubs, and we can only hope that they become part of the 20% of lions that reach adulthood. The hope of their survival has become even greater because one cub is a white lion, and there are currently only three, wild, free-roaming white lions in Africa.
 • For a week during the month, two lionesses from the Mountain Pride were viewed moving around a valley that still has rocky pools of trapped water. The young Mountain Pride male was also seen alone a few times. Late in the month, the remaining six Mountain Pride females made an appearance and were found a few hundred meters from where the Mananga Pride was feeding on a freshly killed buffalo bull. 
• A coalition of five large males is being seen more often in the north, and this could spell some trouble for the aging Shishangaan males who, at over 15 years of age, are well past their prime. 
• Members from the reported coalition of seven males in the south are also frequently making their appearances in the concession. When not seen attempting to increase their territorial range into the concession, these males have been found regularly with a large pride we have been calling the Southern Pride along the H6 road leading from our airstrip to the lodge. • The Maputo male has been found a handful of times, without his coalition partner the Kumana male, who we last saw in poor condition in September. His absence may indicate that age caught up with him, and he may no longer be alive. 
• A big surprise was the reappearance of the Xirombe male lion who has been missing for several months. He was viewed for a few days feeding on a kudu kill, and for a good while afterward, as he rested and digested his meal.

Also some pictures in full raport:
https://assets.ctfassets.net/wds1hqrprqxb/6emqf96doqwOtmKbpvdY7D/eba65fa115c7fd4d0f63e2f3bb00084d/SKNP_Wildlife_Journal_October_2022_JH.pdf
9 users Like Potato's post

BigLion39 Offline

Oh no Kumana male might not be with us anymore. Good for him if he was able to go out with old age.
7 users Like BigLion39's post

Brahim Offline
Moderators

I heard that white cub hasn't been seen in a while, hope its alive
5 users Like Brahim's post

Brahim Offline
Moderators

Second biggest Lower Sabie male
Credit: Peter Dittrich

Attached Files Image(s)

10 users Like Brahim's post

Venezuela Cunaguaro Offline

A beautiful day with three of Kruger’s most recognizable stars at the moment, The Gomondwane males , “The Tank, Blondie , and the Slit-nose” while patrolling their new lands acquired after the expulsion of the old Shishangeni males from it.

Kruger National Park, South Africa.
Photographer Credit: @foxycrocodilebushretreat
8 users Like Cunaguaro's post

United States kobe8jf1234 Online

(11-15-2022, 08:45 AM)Cunaguaro Wrote: A beautiful day with three of Kruger’s most recognizable stars at the moment, The Gomondwane males , “The Tank, Blondie , and the Slit-nose” while patrolling their new lands acquired after the expulsion of the old Shishangeni males from it.

Kruger National Park, South Africa.
Photographer Credit: @foxycrocodilebushretreat

so there other 3 brother are at there old terrority ?
3 users Like kobe8jf1234's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(11-15-2022, 09:39 PM)kobe8jf1234 Wrote: so there other 3 brother are at there old terrority ?

Yea, they are further east.
6 users Like Tr1x24's post

BigLion39 Offline

There are the other 3 Gomo brothers who basically stay in Shishangeni Concession while these 3 move around in KNP. If im not mistaken the big brother with the scar nose visits the 3 in Shishangeni Concession and comes back to these 2 brothers, back and forth?
3 users Like BigLion39's post

DARK MANE Offline
Banned

1/6 gomondwane male.
10 users Like DARK MANE's post

Brahim Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 11-17-2022, 02:12 PM by Brahim )

There's those 3 Gomondwane always seen, oldest, slit nose and smallest mane. Other 2 brothers one eye and lazy eye hang together in Shishangeni concession. Then the 6th comes and goes, rarely seen with one eye and lazy eyed one. Comes back and forth from the concession to the east. Be cool if someone made a film on these guys and followed each of their paths. Mfundo the guide down there when I was showing him the 6th Gomondwane male, he said he had a crazy encounter few months back.

"On my return back from the north this year mid, I saw the 3 around Crocodile bridge meeting another 4 at the S28/Shishangeni junction, in my thought ? I was like they gonna fight but they rubbed faces and for few minutes then went going West the 3 Goms and the other went back in the Concession of Shishangeni.

So it could be they have decided to rule the area West and East."
7 users Like Brahim's post

Brahim Offline
Moderators

1/2 Southern Avoca Males. Seen yesterday with his brother and 2 lioness near Skukuza. 
Credit: Ubi & Daja

Attached Files Image(s)

7 users Like Brahim's post

Brahim Offline
Moderators

Mjejane male
Credit: Sharing wildlife photos

Attached Files Image(s)

11 users Like Brahim's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(11-17-2022, 01:30 PM)Brahimlegend Wrote: "On my return back from the north this year mid, I saw the 3 around Crocodile bridge meeting another 4 at the S28/Shishangeni junction, in my thought ? I was like they gonna fight but they rubbed faces and for few minutes then went going West the 3 Goms and the other went back in the Concession of Shishangeni.

So all 7 still alive?
5 users Like Tr1x24's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Any idea where those 4 skukuza males ended up?
1 user Likes Tonpa's post

United States kobe8jf1234 Online

(11-17-2022, 02:39 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(11-17-2022, 01:30 PM)Brahimlegend Wrote: "On my return back from the north this year mid, I saw the 3 around Crocodile bridge meeting another 4 at the S28/Shishangeni junction, in my thought ? I was like they gonna fight but they rubbed faces and for few minutes then went going West the 3 Goms and the other went back in the Concession of Shishangeni.

So all 7 still alive?

wow any pic or videos encounter that would be awesome i would like see number 7
1 user Likes kobe8jf1234's post