There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
Coalitions of Kruger National Park

Brahim Offline
Moderators

@lionuk Hopefully Sanparks will do something about it
5 users Like Brahim's post

South Africa Wyld@Heart Offline

(06-04-2022, 02:43 PM)Duco Ndona Wrote: Thats a lot easier and safely said than done. Especially on bigger more dangerous animals like lions. 

They probably will try first. But if all alternatives are exhousted and he doesnt move on to a nature reserve on his own. It will have to be done as they cant risk another Tsavo turning public opinion against the reserves.
Sanparks will send a team to try and relocate the animals in a case like this. As for hosting a Buffalo breeding farm right next to the Kruger. I don't know it and I haven't heard of it but it's a silly idea in my honest opinion. Buffalo are natural prey animals so it's not like they're off in a surrounding community posing a risk to life, limb and livestock like in other cases; they see buffalo and they see food so it would only have been a matter of time before a large predator got in there. There might be a valid conservation reason for the breeding facility, maybe to do with Bovine TB but the location is still dumb, and if anything happens the wildlife pays the price as it always does. 

I don't know anything of it except what I've read on here but if it's been reported then a relocation effort is probably already under way. They will typically try to track the animal and sedate it safely. Tranqs don't work immediately and it the animal is likely to injure or kill someone then unfortunately it will be destroyed. Then there is also the question of where exactly to relocate them to. Putting a single male lion in a territory where he might be killed by a larger coalition won't be done and neither will he be put where he might in turn pose a takeover risk to kill cubs and Sanparks is unlikely to advertise where they've put him even if they've managed a successful relocation. All things told, I doubt we're going to see this lion in an area anywhere close to where we've seen him before.
8 users Like Wyld@Heart's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(06-05-2022, 01:16 AM)Wyld@Heart Wrote: I don't know anything of it except what I've read on here but if it's been reported then a relocation effort is probably already under way. They will typically try to track the animal and sedate it safely. Tranqs don't work immediately and it the animal is likely to injure or kill someone then unfortunately it will be destroyed. Then there is also the question of where exactly to relocate them to. Putting a single male lion in a territory where he might be killed by a larger coalition won't be done and neither will he be put where he might in turn pose a takeover risk to kill cubs and Sanparks is unlikely to advertise where they've put him even if they've managed a successful relocation. All things told, I doubt we're going to see this lion in an area anywhere close to where we've seen him before.

Similar thing happened in 2017 with famous S. Shishangeni male (now Afsaal male).

After he and his brother/partner got ousted, he, in a similar way, escaped Kruger near his former territory near Crocodile Bridge. Luckly he was returned back, but in different area, near Malelane Gate. Dont know how they made decision to relocate him there, maybe lack of territorial males there or something.

As you said, returning him in the area from where he got ousted might not be good idea, as he probably would escaped again, especially as they said that he already killed a cattle outside of reserve. 

So, hope they find a similar solution for Mo, it would be shame to just kill beautiful specimen like him.
5 users Like Tr1x24's post

Netherlands Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

What about the lioness though? They typically aren't nomadic and if she was ousted from her pride its going to be tough to relocate her.
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post

BigLion39 Offline
( This post was last modified: 06-05-2022, 11:12 AM by BigLion39 )

What a cluster-fukc with Mo this sounds like. If such smart people want to open up a "lion prey" farm right on the heels of a huge lion population they should expect this to happen and be prepared for it. It shouldn't be this difficult a decision to relocate him instead of killing him. These animals need more room to live.
1 user Likes BigLion39's post

(06-05-2022, 04:12 AM)Duco Ndona Wrote: What about the lioness though? They typically aren't nomadic and if she was ousted from her pride its going to be tough to relocate her.Reply

You're right and I honestly don't know. It's going to be a tough one for officials as they're into conserving the area as a whole, not individual lions. Putting the two of them in an area vacant of dominant males but with a resident pride is close to a death sentence to her as well. In this case though, and this is an assumption on my part, it's likely she is part of the pride in the park adjacent to this facility and they'd likely accept her back if she  relocated there while Mo's journey is likely to continue to parts as yet unknown.
4 users Like Wyld@Heart's post

Brahim Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 06-05-2022, 03:21 PM by Brahim )

Its been reported to sanparks and MPTA but no update given. People have reached out yesteday to Sanparks for an update but idk if they will get it.
6 users Like Brahim's post

Brahim Offline
Moderators

2/5 Trichardt males @Singita Lebombo
Credit: reginafug

Attached Files Image(s)

9 users Like Brahim's post

Brahim Offline
Moderators

4/6 Myambula males seen yesterday.
Credit: Renier Wessels

Attached Files Image(s)

11 users Like Brahim's post

Brahim Offline
Moderators

1/3 Lower Sabie males
Credit: Grant Koen

Attached Files Image(s)

10 users Like Brahim's post

Italy Gabriele Offline

Kruger is a huge park, it's just a matter of willingness to put it back somewhere. Of course, killing him is easier, the problem is solved, as someone is covertly suggesting. As for the lioness, they are nomads together, they will continue together. If the male hadn't left the park, but had acquired a pride, the lioness would have faced the same problems. I don't see all these moral problems.
2 users Like Gabriele's post

(06-05-2022, 02:03 PM)Brahimlegend Wrote: Its been reported to sanparks and MPTA but no update given. People have reached out yesteday to Sanparks for an update but idk if they will get it.
There is a subsection on the Forum on the Sanparks website. They sometimes make announcements regarding relocation on their. Nothing now, though. Just checked.

In other news, it appears the Satara Central pride is down from six cubs to four:

https://youtu.be/_ouIFz22Tpw

One of the brothers as part of a mating pair with one of the lionesses, possibly the mother of the lost cubs come into oestrus:

https://youtu.be/M4PNYwllxds
4 users Like Wyld@Heart's post

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

(06-04-2022, 06:07 PM)Brahimlegend Wrote: @criollo2mil That's S28 male mohawk, the partner of Vurhami s28 male. And with Hippo pools male, Shishangeni son

Got it,,,thnx @"Brahimlegend" .  I can’t keep up with all these HP boys lol
3 users Like criollo2mil's post

Brahim Offline
Moderators

2/4 Phabeni males recently
8 users Like Brahim's post

Brahim Offline
Moderators

Renosterkoppie male
Credit: Ursula Celliers

Attached Files Image(s)

9 users Like Brahim's post