There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
Coalitions of Kruger National Park

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(07-28-2021, 03:07 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(07-28-2021, 02:37 PM)Brahimlegend Wrote: @Tr1x24 You see this picture a friend thinks it’s southern boy. The whisker is close but it don’t line up right for me, what you think?

I think he is right, whiskers and left ear look to match, also these 3 dots on his nose match:

*This image is copyright of its original author

Where was this photo taken ??

This is one of the Albasini males. Their names comes from the S3 Albasini road near Pretoriuskop
5 users Like Timbavati's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(07-28-2021, 06:15 PM)Brahimlegend Wrote: @Tr1x24 this guy is apparently 1/2 Albasini males, pictures are old. Never heard of them before, but Tino recognised him

Their appareances are really similar with Kinky Tail and Mr T. Isn't it? haha
4 users Like Timbavati's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(07-28-2021, 06:17 PM)Timbavati Wrote: This is one of the Albasini males. Their names comes from the S3 Albasini road near Pretoriuskop

How old are those pictures?
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 07-28-2021, 07:05 PM by Timbavati )

(07-27-2021, 10:11 PM)BA0701 Wrote:
(07-27-2021, 08:16 PM)Timbavati Wrote:
(07-27-2021, 07:49 PM)Brahimlegend Wrote: Cool pic of Snip Tail Mpondo.
Credit: Garry Mills.

A true beast of male lion

When I first began learning about lions, the Mpondos were one of the first coalitions that I saw a lot of images of, outside of the Mapogos of course, and at the time I remember thinking how massive and serious they all looked, like total destroyers, as if they were like the next Mapogo, or the Mjejane before the Mjejane. Nothing I have read about them since, has told me anything different. The only thing that has changed for me, is I have learned that the majority of male lions behave in a similar fashion to those lions, some just appear a little more proficient at it. Outside of killing a submissive lioness, mating with her corpse, and then consuming her, of course. Thankfully that is one behavior I have only heard of the Mapogos doing, though I am sure it has happened before, and will again, unfortunately.
The Mpondo males often were called by photographers as the new Mapogos by the simply fact of being five males as well. Of course, the Mpondo males controlled  a vast territory in Kruger. I'll dare to say much bigger or similar as Sabi Sands at one point. They were one of the most strong coalitions for a numbers of years. The old Jock males in their prime were one of the biggest lions and strong coalitions among the Kruger National Park. But without any doubt, the Mantimahle males were one of the most successful and strong coalitions over the last years or decade, They controlled such a big area extending to Tshokwane, Sabi Sands and Skukuza and surroundings. They also dominated hundred of prides over their long reing in Kruger. They're still dominanting despite being almost 11 years old. It is something else...
2 users Like Timbavati's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(07-28-2021, 06:39 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(07-28-2021, 06:17 PM)Timbavati Wrote: This is one of the Albasini males. Their names comes from the S3 Albasini road near Pretoriuskop

How old are those pictures?

These pics were posted in early/mid 2019 as far I could remember
3 users Like Timbavati's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

The five old Jock males back in early 2017

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 07-28-2021, 06:45 PM by Tr1x24 )

(07-28-2021, 06:15 PM)Brahimlegend Wrote: @Tr1x24 this guy is apparently 1/2 Albasini males, pictures are old. Never heard of them before, but Tino recognised him

Then this is not Southern male on the right,because those are clearly the same lions, it was false ID then, right picture was taken around Pretoriuskop 1 year ago:

*This image is copyright of its original author
4 users Like Tr1x24's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

I wouldn't say false ID as the ear and whiskers pattern looked similar at first glance. Which often we tend to mistake trying to ID a lion. Definitely isn't the Southern male, It was a slight mistake by the friend of Brahim

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(07-28-2021, 06:39 PM)Timbavati Wrote: The Mpondo males often were called by photographers as the new Mapogos by the simply fact of being six males as well. Of course, the Mpondo males controlled  a vast territory in Kruger. I'll dare to say much bigger or similar as Sabi Sands at one point. They were one of the most strong coalitions for a numbers of years. The old Jock males in their prime were one of the biggest lions and strong coalitions among the Kruger National Park. But without any doubt, the Mantimahle males were one of the most successful and strong coalitions over the last years or decade, They controlled such a big area extending to Tshokwane, Sabi Sands and Skukuza and surroundings. They also dominated hundred of prides over their long reing in Kruger. They're still dominanting despite being almost 11 years old. It is something else...

Mpondo's where 5*.

Agree.. Mantimahles, Mpondos and Old Jocks where definitely large coalitions which marked this decade in Kruger (not counting SS, Manyeleti, Timbavati etc.) 

In the same category i would also add Old Gomondwanes, Shishangenis and Shishangaan males.. 

Because they where in Kruger, we dont have much info about them to judge who was most successful out of them (unlike coalitions in SS/Timbavati/Manyeleti like Mapogos, Majingilanes, Matimbas, Avoca/Giraffes etc.) so its hard to tell.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(07-28-2021, 06:59 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(07-28-2021, 06:39 PM)Timbavati Wrote: The Mpondo males often were called by photographers as the new Mapogos by the simply fact of being six males as well. Of course, the Mpondo males controlled  a vast territory in Kruger. I'll dare to say much bigger or similar as Sabi Sands at one point. They were one of the most strong coalitions for a numbers of years. The old Jock males in their prime were one of the biggest lions and strong coalitions among the Kruger National Park. But without any doubt, the Mantimahle males were one of the most successful and strong coalitions over the last years or decade, They controlled such a big area extending to Tshokwane, Sabi Sands and Skukuza and surroundings. They also dominated hundred of prides over their long reing in Kruger. They're still dominanting despite being almost 11 years old. It is something else...

Mpondo's where 5*.

Agree.. Mantimahles, Mpondos and Old Jocks where definitely large coalitions which marked this decade in Kruger (not counting SS, Manyeleti, Timbavati etc.) 

In the same category i would also add Old Gomondwanes, Shishangenis and Shishangaan males.. 

Because they where in Kruger, we dont have much info about them to judge who was most successful out of them (unlike coalitions in SS/Timbavati/Manyeleti like Mapogos, Majingilanes, Matimbas, Avoca/Giraffes etc.) so its hard to tell.

That's true, there are a lot of  coalitions that aren't known as the Mpondo or Mantimahles for example. The Mantimahle males provided us a lot of sightings over the years. We've seen them with the massive Nkuhlu pride, Plains Camp pride, Sand River pride, the fourways pride etc. Then, we could count them as one of the most successful coalitions in KNP. Going to Timbavati, the Mbiri males are being a very successful coalitions as well. At least, the Mayambula sub-adults survived the first stage.
2 users Like Timbavati's post

Brahim Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 07-29-2021, 02:20 PM by Brahim )

All these coalitions had a powerful feeling that made Kruger more exciting, all left their mark. Mpondo were the last Boss Coalition, it’s sad as we are in the times of most these coalitions downfalls now. But new ones will rise to fill the gap.
3 users Like Brahim's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor

Doesn't Mantimahle coalition have any more male lions that made to adulthood apart from Plains Camp males and 2 other that were seen with their Dad/uncle (when they were in MalaMala months' ago)? 
2 users Like lionuk's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(07-29-2021, 12:40 AM)lionuk Wrote: Doesn't Mantimahle coalition have any more male lions that made to adulthood apart from Plains Camp males and 2 other that were seen with their Dad/uncle (when they were in MalaMala months' ago)? 

2 Sand River young males.
4 users Like Tr1x24's post

Venezuela Cunaguaro Offline

Breathtaking shot of the impressive Mpondo - Snip Tail.

The last one of the five Mpondo males who are not related by blood but joined together to support each other! This coaltion was once a force known only to possess, dominate, expel and fight? A week ago, he was seen returning alone to his old territory at @jocksafari and took over the Buffalo kill from the Windmill pride but It didn't last long until the new dominant males “ South Shishangeni and Eastern Bank “ came into the kill and chased him away and he was not seen again. Updates by @louis_strauss .

Kruger National Park, South Africa.
Photographer Credit:
To follow and for print: @millsgarry

8 users Like Cunaguaro's post

Brahim Offline
Moderators

Mantimahle have a lot of subs with Nkhulu pride that will be getting pushed out now that prides getting taken over by Mazithi/Tshokwane males
6 users Like Brahim's post