There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Cheetah (Acinonyx jubatus)- Data, Pictures & Videos

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 12-25-2018, 10:47 AM by Rishi )

Cheetah, Acinonyx Jubatus
This is a thread where you can post all information, videos and pictures of cheetahs. 

*This image is copyright of its original author
2 users Like Pantherinae's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Okavango Cheetahs, the biggest cheetahs in the world

Some time ago I came accross these impressive looking cheethas from Okavang, I found measurements done on them, and the results are impressive. One of the males from this project is acctually a record breaker! Here are som pictures and results from the project done by cheetah conservation botswana. 

Here are the results so far in this project, The New group is the botswana cheethas, the old group is cheethas from Serengeti, Masai Mara, etc. The size difference is pretty big, the Okavango Cheethas were on average 20 kgs heavier, 5-7 cm taller and 17 cm longer. The smallest cheetah from this project was impressivly a little above 54 kgs, which is almost the size of a max cheetah in The Mara.  And the biggest one was impressiv 72 kgs, what is thought to be the biggest wild cheetah ever recorded. 

This is one of the biggest cheethas from the project Legolas, he weighed 71 kgs, and had an imense chestgirth of 101 cm (I Thought it  would be 80-85 cm tops!) 

He even broke a trap that was designed to hold animals of up to 60kgs. Legolas is in mabye the greatest cheetah coalition in Africa, The Lord of the Rings coalition of Botswana, where all the cheetahs are above 60 kgs, (One out of four is not weighed yet, but by looking at the photos of him compared to the other cheetahs that has been weighed, it woulden`t surprise me if he was over 60 kgs too) 

Here they are

And here some of the other impressive cheethas they`ve caught

This is Basher, he weighed an impressive 68,5 kgs. 

Another Cheetah that I coulden`t find the measurements on. 

6 users Like Pantherinae's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Not much difference between cheetah and leopard weight.

Its hard to find a lot of info on Cheetah weight though, I dont see very much. I would assume that leopards are probably slightly larger at maximums but it seems they are relatively close just built completely different.
2 users Like Pckts's post

Norway Jubatus Offline

Hey Pantherinae, great thread! A lot of fantastic info! :-)

Here is some other info on cheetah weights from botswana 

3 users Like Jubatus's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

Nice work @Pantherinae , But I think it should not be in Big Cat forum, I leave it to other moderators to decide,

Sri Lanka Apollo Away
Bigcat Enthusiast

(02-06-2015, 05:07 AM)'Pantherinae' Wrote: Okavango Cheetahs, the biggest cheetahs in the world

Some time ago I came accross these impressive looking cheethas from Okavang, I found measurements done on them, and the results are impressive. One of the males from this project is acctually a record breaker! Here are som pictures and results from the project done by cheetah conservation botswana. 

Here are the results so far in this project, The New group is the botswana cheethas, the old group is cheethas from Serengeti, Masai Mara, etc. The size difference is pretty big, the Okavango Cheethas were on average 20 kgs heavier, 5-7 cm taller and 17 cm longer. The smallest cheetah from this project was impressivly a little above 54 kgs, which is almost the size of a max cheetah in The Mara.  And the biggest one was impressiv 72 kgs, what is thought to be the biggest wild cheetah ever recorded. 

Hi Pantherinae Nice info.
Regarding the weight, height and length difference you mentioned, as per the table the old group consisted of both males and females (34 males and 23 females) and the new group consisted of only males (7 males).
I think that was the reason for that large difference in size.

1 user Likes Apollo's post

Australia Richardrli Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 02-10-2015, 06:43 AM by Richardrli )

Legolas is the biggest cheetah on record. All of these big ones were captured on farmland I believe? So what are the possibilities of them stocking up on easy livestock hence their incredible weight?
1 user Likes Richardrli's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

'Richardrli dateline='' Wrote: Legolas is the biggest cheetah on record. All of these big ones were captured on farmland I believe? So what are the possibilities of them stocking up on easy livestock hence their incredible weight?

Still look at The framing! Aswell as they do not look fat at all! 

Australia Richardrli Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 02-11-2015, 05:38 AM by Richardrli )

Pantherinae, where did you get the chest girth (101cm) for Legolas? Also, it's likely they were baited?

Bigcat Enthusiast

(02-06-2015, 03:05 PM)'Apollo' Wrote:
(02-06-2015, 05:07 AM)'Pantherinae' Wrote: Okavango Cheetahs, the biggest cheetahs in the world

Hi Pantherinae Nice info.
Regarding the weight, height and length difference you mentioned, as per the table the old group consisted of both males and females (34 males and 23 females) and the new group consisted of only males (7 males).
I think that was the reason for that large difference in size.

Bingo!

1 user Likes Pckts's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

(02-06-2015, 06:42 AM)'Jubatus' Wrote: Hey Pantherinae, great thread! A lot of fantastic info! :-)

Here is some other info on cheetah weights from botswana 

Okavango Cheetah fit right into the normal range for Cheetahs measured by Smuts and others.

1 user Likes Pckts's post

United Kingdom Sully Offline
Ecology & Rewilding

Cheetah prey chart

3 users Like Sully's post

Ecology & Rewilding

Diet preference

http://www.ibs.bialowieza.pl/g2/pdf/1597.pdf
3 users Like Sully's post

Ecology & Rewilding

One of the highlights of my trip to Masai Mara was the time I spent watching this playful family of Cheetah with her three cubs

Two of these cubs were later predated by Eagles

Cheetah hunts an Impala in Masai Mara, Kenya. This is probably the best picture I made this year
6 users Like Sully's post

Ecology & Rewilding

Our pic of the week:
This week our pic of the week is this Cheetah hunt we photographed at Ndutu in Feb this year.
We had non-stop cheetah action almost everyday.
Imagine photographing Cheetahs on the hunt on the worlds biggest Golf Course :)

2 users Like Sully's post