There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Canids and Ursids Interactions

peter Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
Moderators

Male brown bear and wolf. They had been playing. Wild animals (L. Rautiainen):

*This image is copyright of its original author

1 user Likes peter's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Crazy. I wonder how many other odd friendships occur in the wild. You always hear about them and get to see them occasionally.
1 user Likes Pckts's post

United States GrizzlyClaws Offline
Canine Expert
Moderators

This is a rare picture in sight, since bear and wolf are usually the born enemies and hated each other deeply.

Good to see them live peacefully with each other.
1 user Likes GrizzlyClaws's post

United Kingdom IrishWarrior Offline

I think this is a case of the bear tracking the wolves in order to steal their kill. Cracking photo though.
1 user Likes IrishWarrior's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 10-30-2017, 05:56 PM by Ngala )

7 users Like Pckts's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

This is very unusual.. TFS
1 user Likes sanjay's post

Argentina Tshokwane Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

I agree guys. Quite unusual, but who can know with what wild animals will surprise us next time. This was observed by finnish photographer Lassi Rautiainen, who saw the female grey wolf and the male brown bear for ten days straight, with the pair playing together, and even sharing food. I wonder if their closeness was due to being alone and scared when they were young, but it's still remarcable this happened. 
Great story.
7 users Like Tshokwane's post

India brotherbear Offline
Grizzly Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 11-23-2015, 11:29 AM by sanjay )

5 users Like brotherbear's post

United States malikc6 Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 11-23-2015, 11:30 AM by sanjay )

That bear and wolf playing around sort of reminds me of the documentary of a lioness and a leopardess who were "friends", but over time, the lioness started getting hostile and the behavior continued, until she joined a pride. It was almost as if instinct had kicked in despite their friendship because of humans. 

Here's the documentary.

3 users Like malikc6's post

India brotherbear Offline
Grizzly Enthusiast

In Finland, there are two very unlikely friends, a wolf and a grizzly. They are now famous, especially popular with photographers. 

3 users Like brotherbear's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Credits to Deby Dixon.

Witnessing the relationship between one wolf pack and one grizzly bear, that have been sleeping, eating and traveling together

The New Lamar Canyon pack with their Grizzly Bear

This video was taken very early in the morning when it was so dark we couldn't immediately tell that the howls were coming from a grizzly bear, instead of wolves! I'll explain. Due to lack of light I placed my camera on the beanbag, instead of tripod, to hold it steadier and so the filming wasn't smooth. My whole intent was just to capture an incredible scene that I knew people would want to see, bad video quality or not.

It was early early and just a few of us stood at Footbridge pullout in Soda Butte Valley. Howling came from very close but try as we might, we could not see the wolves. They sounded like they were standing right in front of us. And then a large black object appeared from behind some willows and I hollered, "there they are." But, to our surprise, once we could focus, it was a bear. A bear right where the wolves were howling. And then a big black wolf with white cheeks appeared, followed by Little T. They were following the bear! The big black, later identified as 949 of the Beartooth pack, threw me off and I did not know who we were watching. Two more black wolves eventually emerged from the sage, lacking much enthusiasm for the cold morning. Turned out to be another male from the Beartooth pack. Strangely enough, 926 slowly brought up the rear. They were all following the bear and it was one big happy family.
I grabbed the camera and did my best to record the moments, even though I did not know what exactly was happening.

This was our first view of the two Lamar females with these two new males from the Beartooth. We suspected something had taken place because 965 had been injured and there were sightings of multiple blacks and descriptions of chaos and a possible chase. And, so we had been waiting to see these wolves to find out what was going on.
Well, our Lamar girls are smart. They not only got themselves 3 big men (another black male has since joined them), they got a bear to go with them.

As you will see in this video, 949 was sticking close to the bear, as if they were old pals. And, he was limping at that time. Little T had an interaction with the bear but it didn't deter her too much. The bear and the wolves made their way across the sage and up onto dead puppy hill where they hung out for awhile, with the bear going from wolf to wolf, as if telling them that it was time to go hunt. Eventually, the wolves ditched the bear, crossed the road (that was when 926 came close to me) and headed west where they made a kill.

Definitely an exciting time in Wolf World that morning. But, a little sad to see how quickly 965 was forgotten. He only had his girls for a very short time. Hoping he is safe somewhere.

5 users Like Tshokwane's post

United States Polar Offline
Polar Bear Enthusiast

(10-30-2016, 06:46 AM)Majingilane Wrote: Credits to Deby Dixon.

Witnessing the relationship between one wolf pack and one grizzly bear, that have been sleeping, eating and traveling together

The New Lamar Canyon pack with their Grizzly Bear

This video was taken very early in the morning when it was so dark we couldn't immediately tell that the howls were coming from a grizzly bear, instead of wolves! I'll explain. Due to lack of light I placed my camera on the beanbag, instead of tripod, to hold it steadier and so the filming wasn't smooth. My whole intent was just to capture an incredible scene that I knew people would want to see, bad video quality or not.

It was early early and just a few of us stood at Footbridge pullout in Soda Butte Valley. Howling came from very close but try as we might, we could not see the wolves. They sounded like they were standing right in front of us. And then a large black object appeared from behind some willows and I hollered, "there they are." But, to our surprise, once we could focus, it was a bear. A bear right where the wolves were howling. And then a big black wolf with white cheeks appeared, followed by Little T. They were following the bear! The big black, later identified as 949 of the Beartooth pack, threw me off and I did not know who we were watching. Two more black wolves eventually emerged from the sage, lacking much enthusiasm for the cold morning. Turned out to be another male from the Beartooth pack. Strangely enough, 926 slowly brought up the rear. They were all following the bear and it was one big happy family.
I grabbed the camera and did my best to record the moments, even though I did not know what exactly was happening.

This was our first view of the two Lamar females with these two new males from the Beartooth. We suspected something had taken place because 965 had been injured and there were sightings of multiple blacks and descriptions of chaos and a possible chase. And, so we had been waiting to see these wolves to find out what was going on.
Well, our Lamar girls are smart. They not only got themselves 3 big men (another black male has since joined them), they got a bear to go with them.

As you will see in this video, 949 was sticking close to the bear, as if they were old pals. And, he was limping at that time. Little T had an interaction with the bear but it didn't deter her too much. The bear and the wolves made their way across the sage and up onto dead puppy hill where they hung out for awhile, with the bear going from wolf to wolf, as if telling them that it was time to go hunt. Eventually, the wolves ditched the bear, crossed the road (that was when 926 came close to me) and headed west where they made a kill.

Definitely an exciting time in Wolf World that morning. But, a little sad to see how quickly 965 was forgotten. He only had his girls for a very short time. Hoping he is safe somewhere.

If only we humans can be like that....
2 users Like Polar's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Credits to YNP wildlife.

On April 23rd 2017 the Lamar Canyon wolf pack briefly chased of an incoming grizzly bear. The bear eventually got the carcass.

2 users Like Tshokwane's post

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

" Grizzly defends its kill from a pack of wolves. "

1 user Likes Spalea's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 12-10-2020, 02:13 AM by Shadow )

This is quite funny video to watch from Romania. Two male brown bears and a wolf in same place and even though in description is said, that this wolf tries to provoke the bears, it looks like that this wolf is more playing around and having some fun. It isn´t interested of food and it has no hurry to leave the place either :)

At 1:10 it shows that it is cautious naturally, but then again it´s right back when it sees that bear didn´t really chase it. Then at 1:45 bear shows how relaxed it is and at 2:20 watch how that wolf waves its tail and acts just like a dog inviting another dog to play. 3:05 again it can be seen how it waves its tail playfully. Right after 4:10 bear again relaxes and rolls on the ground. And right after 4:40 it looks like the wolf would be considering if snapping other bears backside a bit :) 

This wolf, imo, was cautious but also playful and looks like that bears also understood it pretty much.

2 users Like Shadow's post