There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---
We have upgraded the system, and this might cause some weird issues. If you face such issues, please report here.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bovidae family Information, Pics and Videos

Sanju Offline
( This post was last modified: 05-02-2020, 09:30 AM by Rishi )

Thread for posting on Bovines & Antelopes who got no specific thread. 

The view!

Photo by @ragulankathirnathan
I went to india without any expectation except capturing a nilgiri tahr standing on the cliff, got it and this nilgiritahr tahr just had the deep valley in front stil he was courageous to stand on the cliff.
Ps. White spots on the pics are rain drops.

The Nilgiri tahr (Nilgiritragus hylocrius) known locally as the Nilgiri ibex or simply ibex, is an ungulate that is endemic to the Nilgiri Hills and the southern portion of the Western Ghats in the states of Tamil Nadu and Kerala in Southern India. It is the state animal of Tamil Nadu. Despite its local name, it is more closely related to the sheep of the genus Ovis than the ibex and wild goats of the genus Capra.

Post stuff, pics and vids about Bovids......
6 users Like Sanju's post

Sanju Offline

The incredible ibex climbs a dam - Forces of Nature with Brian Cox: Episode 3 - BBC One

The spectacular sight of mountain goats defying gravity on a vertical dam wall in Italy, and all because they are have a craving for some of Earth's elements essential to life.
4 users Like Sanju's post

Sanju Offline
( This post was last modified: 03-03-2019, 04:35 PM by Sanju )

Musk Ox roaming the land

Photo by @stiannorum
6 users Like Sanju's post

United States brobear Offline

Question for those in the know. Historically, during the Holocene, were bison ever native to California?

Sanju Offline

The most beautiful antelope on the planet imo. Excellent video capturing their behavior. Delightful to watch.
3 users Like Sanju's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

marlondutoit

It’s not all that often you come across a buffalo bull of this size & stature. And his still a relatively young bull at that.
Young bulls are distinguished from the older boys by their less impressive boss (the top of the horns). Once the two horns start to grow into one another you can start to tell that it’s an older buffalo.
I love buffalo’s! Full of attitude & character!

5 users Like Pckts's post

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

Heartnosed dik-dik: certainly the smallest antelope extant on Earth... Very cute isn't it ? 30-43 centimeters at the shoulder, 3-5 kilos... this antelope's nose allows it to keep its brain temperature down while the body temperature can rise to as much as 43 degrees Celsius, something that would be fatal for a great majority of mammals.

5 users Like Spalea's post

Wildanimal Lover

Impressive musk ox !

3 users Like Spalea's post

Wildanimal Lover

When the snow is falling...

2 users Like Spalea's post

Wildanimal Lover

Beverly Joubert: " A lone gerenuk cranes her distinctive neck to scope the landscape for looming dangers. These odd-looking antelope are typically confined to thornbush thickets, so it's unusual to see one full exposed on an open plain. When she's not using her stretched neck to pluck shoots and leaves from the higher branches of thorn trees, this gerenuk stands out like a badly photoshopped impala! The curious antelope get their name from a Somali word meaning “giraffe-necked” and they use their extra height to dine on vegetation that's out of reach for other gazelle species. It's not uncommon to see gerenuks rear up on their hind legs in search of the best browsing. Populations are declining across their range in East Africa, making sightings like this one extra special. "

3 users Like Spalea's post

Wildanimal Lover

Amir Eshel: " From last week trip to Norway. The light and colors in the north county at this time of the year can be amazing and sometimes you get lucky to have the wildlife’s the right spot at the right time. "

2 users Like Spalea's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

pralaylahiry.mywildindiadotcom

This alpha male Asiatic Water Buffalo is an old friend of mine. I have been regularly meeting him at close quarters for the last 10 years and found him to be much reasonably disposed than others of his kind who take umbrage without provocation sometimes. Hope he lords over the vast wetlands and grasslands of Maguri Beel, Dibru Saikhowa National Park, Assam, India with his harem in peace and glory.

4 users Like Pckts's post

Virgin Islands, U.S. Rage2277 Offline
animal enthusiast

first footage i've seen of kouprey this is from 1951
6 users Like Rage2277's post

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

Let's discuss/share data on bovines (Bovinae subfamily)

I'll start with eland, the data on them is rather scarce, so any information I have access to regarding them will be posted here.
Cape eland weight and measurements divided by age and sex of 9 individuals:

*This image is copyright of its original author

"Adult Cape  eland  cows  have  a mass of 400-560 kg and a mean shoulder height of 150 cm, compared to adult bulls at 650-940 kg and a shoulder height of 160-180 cm.  The forequarters of the body are notably larger and heavier than the hind and as a result, the front feet are larger.  A large dewlap descends from  the  throat  of  adult  bulls."

*This image is copyright of its original author

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/312231892_Eland_Tragelaphus_oryx
3 users Like Balam's post

United States Styx38 Offline
Banned

Quote:The liveweights of the bulls in Table I were heavier than those recorded in Zambia (Robinette, 1963 : 3 bulls) but lighter than those recorded in Rhodesia (Posselt, 1963: I bull) Malawi and Tanzania (Meinertzhagen, 1938: 4 bulls; Lamprey, 1964: I bull), where the average weights varied from 720 to 840 kg

https://www.ajol.info/index.php/sajas/a ... 501/130246
2 users Like Styx38's post