There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bone and muscle strength or density

India parvez Offline
Tiger enthusiast

@Spalea Whenever i come across density of muscle, there is always a value called p value. I do not understand it. Do you have any idea about it?

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

@parvez :

About #16: It's the first time I read this term "p value"... But after getting the facts it means "probability (p) value"... After validating a zero probability you can use it to justify a statistic signification... Whether you take a very low probability level (arbitrarily 5%), or you take the probability you obtained.

Here is the wikipedia link (in english):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P-value

But this concerns the probability study, what's the matter with the density ?

If you want I will come later to try looking more closely this question.
1 user Likes Spalea's post

India parvez Offline
Tiger enthusiast

(10-13-2018, 08:55 PM)Spalea Wrote: @parvez :

About #16: It's the first time I read this term "p value"... But after getting the facts it means "probability (p) value"... After validating a zero probability you can use it to justify a statistic signification... Whether you take a very low probability level (arbitrarily 5%), or you take the probability you obtained.

No actually whenever i come across studies that say the density of muscle, samples always are represented using p value. The density value is estimated in p values. There is no gm/cc or gm/cm2 values to density. Just they say or express the density in p values. I will give the examples for this. I am just interested in density of big cat bone and muscles as to how strong they are. I think the main density is irrelevant here. We want numeric density as to how many number of muscle fibers and what kind of muscle fibers are present in which part of tiger to estimate the tiger's true strength. Also i have an idea to measure the density of tiger bones from samples of bones if anyone has. I contacted peter for this. After i get the reply, I will post here if any info on density i get from these data.

Canada HyperNova Offline

(10-13-2018, 09:02 PM)parvez Wrote:
(10-13-2018, 08:55 PM)Spalea Wrote: @parvez :

No actually whenever i come across studies that say the density of muscle, samples always are represented using p value. The density value is estimated in p values. There is no gm/cc or gm/cm2 values to density. Just they say or express the density in p values. I will give the examples for this. I am just interested in density of big cat bone and muscles as to how strong they are. I think the main density is irrelevant here. We want numeric density as to how many number of muscle fibers and what kind of muscle fibers are present in which part of tiger to estimate the tiger's true strength. Also i have an idea to measure the density of tiger bones from samples of bones if anyone has. I contacted peter for this. After i get the reply, I will post here if any info on density i get from these data.
Not too sure about this but I don't think muscle density mean mass divided by volume. I think what they are referring to is related to muscle fibers, some muscle fibers type are smaller than other. So if you pick two muscles of similar volume, one (A) primarly composed of smaller muscle fibers and the other (B) primarly composed of bigger muscle fibers, A would be denser. Thats because for the same volume you would be able to fit a lot more of those small muscle fibers inside sais volume. At least thats what I think they mean.
2 users Like HyperNova's post

India parvez Offline
Tiger enthusiast

Order of animal bone mineral densities from lowest to highest,

*This image is copyright of its original author

Courtesy: an article made available by tiger liver.
1 user Likes parvez's post

India parvez Offline
Tiger enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 10-15-2018, 01:29 PM by parvez )

Amazing article by tiger luver, 

India brotherbear Offline
Grizzly Enthusiast

https://wildfact.com/forum/attachment.php?aid=292
2 users Like brotherbear's post

India brotherbear Offline
Grizzly Enthusiast

https://wildfact.com/forum/attachment.php?aid=293
3 users Like brotherbear's post

India parvez Offline
Tiger enthusiast

I am sorry I was wrong in calculations. Will delete the wrong posts.

India parvez Offline
Tiger enthusiast

Now I understand there is intramuscular fat and collagen in the muscles. That is why there was varying amount of density among muscles in camels. We must wait for proper study regarding this.
2 users Like parvez's post

India parvez Offline
Tiger enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 10-16-2018, 01:31 PM by parvez )

Bone mineral density of subjects from india.

2 users Like parvez's post

India parvez Offline
Tiger enthusiast

I took a piece of mutton, made sure it is atleast mostly muscle as it still has micro tiny white colour indicating intramuscular fat. I weighed it, it weighed 6gms. Now measuring it's volume was tough. It was triangular shaped at the side and when i tried to multiply area of triangle from measuring its dimensions and then multiply it with length whose measurements i took numbered 13 as it was irregular shaped. I took the mean length and multiplied I got the value 3.5-4. Its weight is excluding cover weight 5.5 or 5gms. So, the density of mutton muscle is roughly around 1.2-1.6gm/cc. Wild specimens have even more higher density as the fat content is minimal. We can imagine around atleast double this density in wild tigers who patrol almost atleast 50km2 per day.

India parvez Offline
Tiger enthusiast

Percent of intramuscular fat in subjects,

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4575231/

India parvez Offline
Tiger enthusiast

It seems it is less in pork. Maximum percentage was around 8.5 . That may be the reason why pigs are so strong. It is interesting to see tigers.

India parvez Offline
Tiger enthusiast

https://www.e-sciencecentral.org/articles/SC000005014
Intramuscular fat percent was lowest in ribs and leg cuts. Interesting...