There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
BODY SIZE AND MASS OF NGORONGORO CRATER LIONS

United States GrizzlyClaws Offline
Canine Expert
Moderators

(09-16-2016, 11:11 AM)Pckts Wrote: Another interesting note is that the crater has 4-5 different prides yet they all interact with each other, even roam from pride to pride with no violence between them.

Because they are East African lions who would not often resort the tribal violence like the South African lions.
4 users Like GrizzlyClaws's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

I wonder why?
In the Serengeti you'd be amazed how close the prides are to each other, we would drive and I couldn't believe how quickly we'd leave one prides territory and enter another's.
6 users Like Pckts's post

United States Polar Offline
Polar Bear Enthusiast

(09-16-2016, 08:14 PM)GrizzlyClaws Wrote:
(09-16-2016, 11:11 AM)Pckts Wrote: Another interesting note is that the crater has 4-5 different prides yet they all interact with each other, even roam from pride to pride with no violence between them.

Because they are East African lions who would not often resort the tribal violence like the South African lions.

So lions in different geological areas of Africa have different pride relations?

Interesting...lot like human ethnic groups, in a way.
4 users Like Polar's post

United States GrizzlyClaws Offline
Canine Expert
Moderators

@Polar Yep, they do have different tribal culture.
3 users Like GrizzlyClaws's post

Polar Bear Enthusiast

Also, how would the size of Crater Lions be compared to the size of the rest of the Serengeti Lions?

I heard that the ones from Crater have a bigger chest girth at similar weights than the ones from the rest of Serengeti (and rest of lion population). From the pictures I saw, Crater Lions are definitely among the most robust lions.

Can anyone clarify this?
3 users Like Polar's post

Polar Bear Enthusiast

Crater Lions (note their chest girths):

5 users Like Polar's post

Polar Bear Enthusiast

I've also noticed that these Crater Lions also have the most vibrant eyes and largest manes.
3 users Like Polar's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

(09-16-2016, 09:04 PM)Polar Wrote: Also, how would the size of Crater Lions be compared to the size of the rest of the Serengeti Lions?

I heard that the ones from Crater have a bigger chest girth at similar weights than the ones from the rest of Serengeti (and rest of lion population). From the pictures I saw, Crater Lions are definitely among the most robust lions.

Can anyone clarify this?

The lions I saw were not as large as the males I saw in the Serengeti, in any way. You'll see when I post the images, that being said.
My guide who is extremely knowledgeable, he worked in the crater for 5 years says that the largest lion he ever saw was from the crater but most of the time the lions in the Serengeti and the crater are very similar in size. He also says the crater lions have a larger mane usually but remember that the crater is usually 10-15degrees colder than the Serengeti at all times.
10 users Like Pckts's post

Rishi Offline
Moderators

(09-16-2016, 09:35 PM)Pckts Wrote: He also says the crater lions have a larger mane usually but remember that the crater is usually 10-15degrees colder than the Serengeti at all times.

Is mane like this pretty common there?

The inbreeding doesn't seem to have had much detrimental effect. Maybe due to the high competition in the crater...
1 user Likes Rishi's post

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

@Rishi :

About #176: These lions seem in good health, because there is plenty food. Perhaps the temperatures are also fresh during the night and therefore there is a great temperature differential, a big range of temperature, between night and day which would provoke that. . So what's amazing these lions have such plentiful mane here ?

The Crater lions were always famous as concerns their body size and their luxuriant big mane... This place is an apparent "oasis" for those lions ?
1 user Likes Spalea's post

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 02-22-2019, 12:02 PM by Pckts )

Yes @Rishi 
The shoulder covered by the mane is a trait commonly seen in the crater. The crater is extremely unique, quite a few characteristics are common there that aren't common in the neighboring reserves.
2 users Like Pckts's post

Canada Charan Singh Offline

This is a big lion, quite impressive lioness as well.
3 users Like Charan Singh's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

(02-22-2019, 11:59 AM)Pckts Wrote: Yes @Rishi 
The shoulder covered by the mane is a trait commonly seen in the crater. The crater is extremely unique, quite a few characteristics are common there that aren't common in the neighboring reserves.

The "Crater Mane"
4 users Like Pckts's post

Canada Charan Singh Offline

(02-25-2019, 10:28 PM)Pckts Wrote:
(02-22-2019, 11:59 AM)Pckts Wrote: Yes @Rishi 

The "Crater Mane"

Nice specimen!

Bigcat Enthusiast

Great Info on Ngorongoro Lion individuals 

https://kopelion.org/ngorongoro-lions/

I'm also going to contact them to try and get some weights if possible

*This image is copyright of its original author

*This image is copyright of its original author
6 users Like Pckts's post