There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 5 Vote(s) - 4.2 Average
Bigcats News

Roflcopters Offline
Modern Tiger Expert

Leopards are harder to spot in Central India though, Kabini is a really decent spot in the South and most of my friends recommend Kabini over any parts of India for leopard sightings.  Joking
1 user Likes Roflcopters's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

Hey @packts, I have requested you earlier and now I am repeating again, Please do little formatting of text before copy and pasting it from facebook, at least remove unnecessary links, like reply and like. Please make post which is readable in correct format

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(11-04-2015, 02:52 AM)sanjay Wrote: Hey @packts, I have requested you earlier and now I am repeating again, Please do little formatting of text before copy and pasting it from facebook, at least remove unnecessary links, like reply and like. Please make post which is readable in correct format

I just copy and past them as is so the person responsible for it + the page its located on get the credit.

Bigcat Enthusiast

The U.S. government has stepped up its fight against wildlife trafficking.
On Monday, the U.S. House of Representatives passed the Global Anti-Poaching Act, which aims to “support global anti-poaching efforts, strengthen the capacity of partner countries to counter wildlife trafficking, and designate major wildlife trafficking countries.” The anti-poaching bill was co-sponsored by 43 Republicans and 64 Democrats.
“This legislation is a significant step forward in the fight against wildlife crime and demonstrates the continued leadership that the US Congress is taking on this issue,” Ginette Hemley, Senior Vice President of Wildlife Conservation at World Wildlife Fund (WWF), said in a statement.
“Wildlife crime has traditionally been extremely high profit and very low risk. By officially designating wildlife trafficking as a serious crime, the risk may finally outweigh the potential reward. This could be a real game changer for the conservation of elephants, rhinos, and countless species illegally killed and traded around the world,” she added.

The legislation notes that the same international gangs and criminals that smuggle weapons and drugs are involved in poaching and trafficking wildlife. So it puts wildlife trafficking in the same category as weapons and drug-trafficking, “making it a liable offense for money laundering and racketeering.”
To support global anti-poaching efforts, the legislation aims to label countries that are found to be a “major source, transit point or consumer of wildlife trafficking products”. It also calls for a special designation for countries that have failed to adhere to international agreements on endangered or threatened species.
The legislation recognizes that in most protected areas, park rangers are often outnumbered by poachers, and presses the U.S. government to “provide security assistance to appropriate African security forces to counter wildlife trafficking and poaching.”
The legislation also supports “professionalization of partner countries’ wildlife law enforcement rangers on the front lines of the fight against poachers, who are often armed with night-vision goggles, heavy weaponry, and even helicopters.”
Moreover, the legislation supports expansion and strengthening of regional wildlife enforcement networks (WENs), which are “government-led, regionally-focused platforms that help countries strengthen coordination and promote intelligence sharing.”
“This vital legislation holds foreign governments accountable by ‘naming and shaming’ the worst violators and adds greater consequences for traffickers in this illicit trade,” Edward Randall Royce, Chairman of the Foreign Affairs Committee and author of the Global Anti-Poaching Act, said in a statement. “And it presses the Administration to continue to provide important security assistance to African park rangers.”
Article published by Shreya Dasgupta on November 3, 2015.
http://news.mongabay.com/2015/11/u-s-hou...afficking/
1 user Likes Pckts's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

A big news is coming from India, Credit to @Vijay Rajan for this information

Please note, Bamera was tranquillized & sent to the Bahera enclosure located in Magdhi on the late afternoon of 2nd November. Although I got the news from my local sources on the same evening, you could perhaps check the Facebook timeline of Satyendra Tiwari for confirmation on the news.

Apparently, it seems that the Chief Wildlife Warden was left with no other option due to the immense pressure by the villagers of Thauni who were agitated with Bamera due to his frequent cattle kills. The fact that the Forest Department normally pays only around Rs.6,000 - 8,000 /- (nearly $100)per cow didn't suffice for the villagers since the market rate of Bulls used for plowing land are usually in the price range of Rs. 22,000 - 25,000 /-. (nearly $400)

Another one down.

Bigcat Enthusiast

TFS sanjay, do you know who was involved in the capture?
Maybe we can ask if he was measured and weighed?

United Kingdom Sully Offline
Ecology & Rewilding

(11-05-2015, 10:41 PM)Pckts Wrote: TFS sanjay, do you know who was involved in the capture?

That would be good. What is your estimate on his weight now?

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 11-05-2015, 10:58 PM by Pckts )

(11-05-2015, 10:56 PM)SVTIGRIS Wrote:
(11-05-2015, 10:41 PM)Pckts Wrote: TFS sanjay, do you know who was involved in the capture?

This is how we get in trouble haha

Just a pure guess, he wasn't the longest tiger but he was muscle packed and thick. Taking that in to account, I would estimate him between 200kg-230kg but now, he is old and far past his prime. I would be surprised if he was over the 200kg mark.
1 user Likes Pckts's post

Ecology & Rewilding

(11-05-2015, 10:57 PM)Pckts Wrote:
(11-05-2015, 10:56 PM)SVTIGRIS Wrote:

This is how we get in trouble haha

Just a pure guess, he wasn't the longest tiger but he was muscle packed and thick. Taking that in to account, I would estimate him between 200kg-230kg but now, he is old and far past his prime. I would be surprised if he was over the 200kg mark.

Haha

I would push 250kg at his prime, but now 190kg

Bigcat Enthusiast

It sounds nice to say 250kg but that is huge, he very well could be but I prefer to keep my estimations much more modest. Considering Waghdoh is said to be easily larger than bamera by many who had seen both in their prime, if big bam was 250kg lets say, you would be talking about 300kg for waghdoh and I don't think that is likely for him. Kaziranga/Terai Arc/Corbett then you're talking, those are the monsters I want to see weighed.

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

@Pckts , I get this info from Vijay Rajan, will try to get the requested information
1 user Likes sanjay's post

Ecology & Rewilding

(11-05-2015, 11:10 PM)Pckts Wrote: It sounds nice to say 250kg but that is huge, he very well could be but I prefer to keep my estimations much more modest. Considering Waghdoh is said to be easily larger than bamera by many who had seen both in their prime, if big bam was 250kg lets say, you would be talking about 300kg for waghdoh and I don't think that is likely for him. Kaziranga/Terai Arc/Corbett then you're talking, those are the monsters I want to see weighed.

That's true, I heard Khali was weighed.

"I can confirm that this individual Tiger has been weighed, and is around 650-750 pounds (295-340 kg). this is just an amazing cat! I did not think that tigers these days did grow to that size, but this is just a super cat! 30% bigger than an average tiger! probably biggest cat alive! Khali"

not sure where this was from. I posted it way back.

Imo Kaziranga and Orang are the biggest populations.

Concerning wagdoh he is a beast, I like to be optomistic and say he is 270kg but that might be far fetched.

Bigcat Enthusiast

To my knowledge, khali from Corbett was never weighed.

Bigcat Enthusiast

(11-05-2015, 11:20 PM)sanjay Wrote: @Pckts , I get this info from Vijay Rajan, will try to get the requested information

Great work sanjay, hopefully he can give you the name of the vets and FD involved. Good luck...

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

This is horrible news from china -
An estimated 5,000 to 6,000 tigers are being farmed today in China, their bones steeped in alcohol to make tiger bone wine, their meat sold, and their skins turned into rugs for members of China’s wealthy elite.

*This image is copyright of its original author

*This image is copyright of its original author

credit to: United for the Wild