There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Best Manes

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Corbett Tigers
ID unknown

*This image is copyright of its original author

Tyson

4 users Like Pckts's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 04-15-2015, 03:58 AM by Pantherinae )

scarface male lion: masai mara, Kenya
male from Phinda game reserve, south Africa
male lion from queen Elisabeth's park.

1 user Likes Pantherinae's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 04-15-2015, 04:13 AM by Pantherinae )

Renoka from Moremi game reserve in Botswana
stunning unkown male from ngorogoro crater
Notch: masai mara, Kenya
Belly hair from The matimba coalition: Sabi Sands game reserve, South Africa
the same male as the picture above from the crater.

6 users Like Pantherinae's post

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

@Pantherinae : This is the first time I see an asiatic lion, obviously in wild, with such a mane ! Black and generous...

Argentina Tshokwane Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 04-26-2015, 08:19 PM by Tshokwane )

Scar/Scarface from the Musketeers Coalition in the Masai Mara

Sikio from the Musketeers Coalition in the Masai Mara

3 users Like Tshokwane's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

@"Majingilane" , Scarface is one of my favorite Lion
1 user Likes sanjay's post

Wildanimal Lover

Asiatic lion roaring:

African lion: as you see I don't want to dissociate the mane from the body. In other words, if the mane is too voluminous in terms of volume, the whole of body/mane
isn't the best one. If we can see the muscle structure like below (Masai Mara lions), perfect !

5 users Like Spalea's post

Rishi Offline
Moderators
Lightbulb  ( This post was last modified: 08-15-2018, 07:12 AM by Rishi )

Let's rekindle this thread, shall we?!..

7 users Like Rishi's post

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 03-13-2018, 12:22 PM by Rishi )

The newcomer Balaghat male of Kanha Tiger Reserve! (from ToK)

6 users Like Rishi's post

Rishi Offline
Moderators

6 users Like Rishi's post

United States Polar Offline
Polar Bear Enthusiast

Seems to me that the more ancient Asian/Persian lions had the best manes...even more so in colder weather.

Wildanimal Lover

(04-23-2018, 02:09 AM)Polar Wrote: Seems to me that the more ancient Asian/Persian lions had the best manes...even more so in colder weather.
Yes probably, but the Cape lion and the Barbary lion were also told to have magnificent manes. Barbary lion because of the altitude within the chain Atlas. And what about Cape lion ? He was told to have the longest hair belly till the hind limbs...
1 user Likes Spalea's post

United States Polar Offline
Polar Bear Enthusiast

(04-23-2018, 04:20 AM)Spalea Wrote:
(04-23-2018, 02:09 AM)Polar Wrote: Seems to me that the more ancient Asian/Persian lions had the best manes...even more so in colder weather.
Yes probably, but the Cape lion and the Barbary lion were also told to have magnificent manes. Barbary lion because of the altitude within the chain Atlas. And what about Cape lion ? He was told to have the longest hair belly till the hind limbs...

Asian lions had the same belly mane before widespread hunting.
1 user Likes Polar's post

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 05-20-2018, 10:58 AM by Rishi )

(04-23-2018, 04:20 AM)Spalea Wrote:

(04-23-2018, 06:15 AM)Polar Wrote: Asian lions had the same belly mane before widespread hunting.

See how similar this "Barbary" is maned to the Asiatic in the next video. Comparing that Asiatic lion to its wild cousins, i'd say wild Barbarys looked equally different!

It's just not physiologically possible to have such mane & survive the barren North Africa, or Atlas Range...or Middle East.

As per contemporary documentation of natural history (the accurate ones) the Indian ones looked exactly same (#292) & only the Persian ones showed some winter adaptations (#301), but not like ^those two!

The painting & engravings point towards a modest look, like these modern generation of captive Asiatic lions in temperate countries, that probably get force-fed fewer nutritional supplements then their parents.

And Barbarys were quite similar to them & their closest descendants still are (#46).

Cape lions too should have looked like modern South-African lion, many of whom even carry their blood.
3 users Like Rishi's post

Wildanimal Lover

@Rishi :

About #44: I don't really take care to the captive lions, because those of them living their whole life in a temperate/cold temperate climate country, I just think it' s logic that, being fed and without real exercices, they have an abundant mane. I remind me a captive lion in the "Tiergarten" Berlin zoo ( in the ancient East side of the city) which was similar to the lion you showed in the first video: He was displayed to be an Asiatic lion too. It didn't reflect at all the photos you saw before about the wild Asiatic lions and the animal's representations you had in mind.

As you do, I largely prefer the illustrations you mention from the topic asiatic-lions-data-pictures and video...

And, it's just a personnal opinion but, as I said at #37 of this page, I like to see a beautiful mane corresponding to a well-muscled body... One doesn't go without the other.
2 users Like Spalea's post