There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 5 Vote(s) - 2.2 Average
Bear Strength

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 01-26-2019, 07:20 PM by Shadow )

(01-26-2019, 05:46 PM)brotherbear Wrote: For several years now, I have found strongly conflicting assessments of the polar bears bite force. Some give the polar bear a very strong bite-force while others a very low bite-force. Two extremes. According to this testing, if I'm understanding correctly, the polar bear has a more powerful bite-force than a brown bear of similar size.

Actually in relative strength brown bear has better result in this. But what comes to bite forces, when I have seen some videos about testing, those tests have always looked like to be difficult ones and hard to know how reliable.

One thing is for instance crocodile. It is always praised how strong bite it has, but it never looks like to it if jaws are wide open. Maybe it is strong when jaws are almost shut, but for instance when looking at footage, it doesn´t just bite of limbs. But when it gets a good bite and starts to roll over in water, there are elements to cause severe injuries and also tear off limbs.

I haven´t looked this study too closely, just noticed it and linked it here for people to see if there are someones not seeing it before. But this looks like to be more professional, than those seen in many documentaries done by "WHOA scientists".... I mean those hosts of documentaries unable to hold screaming all the time, when seeing a wild bee....
3 users Like Shadow's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

Heh, I have to take back what I wrote about crocs, this alligator does this so easily. Funny that I didn´t remember this :)

2 users Like Shadow's post

United States GrizzlyClaws Offline
Canine Expert
Moderators

Dog got pinned several times by a Black bear cub.

5 users Like GrizzlyClaws's post

Canada Wolverine Away

*This image is copyright of its original author
2 users Like Wolverine's post

Sanju Offline
( This post was last modified: 04-02-2019, 12:43 PM by Sanju )

Funny af. April Fool. Man fights bear and man wins.
2 users Like Sanju's post

Sanju Offline

Watch as two bears battle for dominance! All images captured on a Reconyx Game Camera. Check out http://reconyx.com
4 users Like Sanju's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 04-29-2019, 02:33 PM by Shadow )

(04-29-2019, 02:10 PM)Sanju Wrote:

Watch as two bears battle for dominance! All images captured on a Reconyx Game Camera. Check out http://reconyx.com

That other black bear run out body paint and front legs remained black, so bluff didn´t work :) Obviously tried to pretend to be a grizzly and get easy way to make other black bears to run away...
1 user Likes Shadow's post

United Kingdom Sully Offline
Ecology & Rewilding

From an account of grizzly predation on a bull bison

"The adult bear then chased the bison at full speed. At the Crest of the hill above the Yellowstone River, the bear swiped its paw across the headquarters of the bison, knocking the bison's back legs out from under it"
1 user Likes Sully's post

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators

(04-29-2019, 02:10 PM)Sanju Wrote:

@Sanju
Very good video very powerful Black Bears

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

I just found this by accident, look from 1:15 forward. Then go to shop and try to do that, I think that not many are able to repeat that.

johnny rex Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 09-05-2019, 05:47 PM by johnny rex Edit Reason: Should be forelimbs, not forearms )

(02-02-2019, 07:37 AM)GrizzlyClaws Wrote: Dog got pinned several times by a Black bear cub.

Bears can be said as natural born wrestlers. Just look at how male bears fight with each other. Those "paw swipes that break bones" stories maybe are just exaggerations, bears tend to use their forelimbs to hold and wrestle prey or competitor to the ground not swiping hard.
4 users Like johnny rex's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 09-05-2019, 09:12 PM by Shadow )

(09-05-2019, 05:45 PM)johnny rex Wrote:
(02-02-2019, 07:37 AM)GrizzlyClaws Wrote: Dog got pinned several times by a Black bear cub.

Bears can be said as natural born wrestlers. Just look at how male bears fight with each other. Those "paw swipes that break bones" stories maybe are just exaggerations, bears tend to use their forelimbs to hold and wrestle prey or competitor to the ground not swiping hard.

Look when wolves harass bears and you see swipes too. It is of course one thing to swipe and another to hit. But when swipe hits where it is meant to and behind that swipe is, let´s say 800-1000 pounds of weight, anyone can make a guess how many swipes are needed to finish for instance a wolf. It is a bit same like for instance with lions. I have seen only one documentary showing how male lion broke back of hyena with one paw swipe.

johnny rex Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast

(09-05-2019, 08:58 PM)Shadow Wrote:

Look when wolves harass bears and you see swipes too. It is of course one thing to swipe and another to hit. But when swipe hits where it is meant to and behind that swipe is, let´s say 800-1000 pounds of weight, anyone can make a guess how many swipes are needed to finish for instance a wolf. It is a bit same like for instance with lions. I have seen only one documentary showing how male lion broke back of hyena with one paw swipe.

Can you give me the link where a lion broke a hyena's back with a swipe? That's interesting.

johnny rex Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 09-06-2019, 12:12 AM by johnny rex )

(09-05-2019, 08:58 PM)Shadow Wrote:

In this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgjd7Ouce3Y at aroudn 6:18, it seems the bear used their paws to deter the wolves by clawing them downward. Swipe, according to my understanding, is when someone or something swinging left and right. But bears almost never use their paw as their main "weapons". It seems bears didn't give much force behind their paws when they are trying to fend off competitors. It is more like a push to me though. In most videos, bears rely on their "wrestling" and teeth.
2 users Like johnny rex's post

United States GrizzlyClaws Offline
Canine Expert
Moderators

It could be exaggerated or sensationalized, but bears are plantigrade animals. Therefore, they would always hold some leverages in the wrestling mode against the digitigrade animals.
4 users Like GrizzlyClaws's post