There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 5 Vote(s) - 2.2 Average
Bear Strength

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

About #124 and #125 video: The bears feel judo instinctively. How to take down an opponent...
3 users Like Spalea's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(10-24-2018, 12:19 AM)Spalea Wrote: About #124 and #125 video: The bears feel judo instinctively. How to take down an opponent...

Yes. I have read about some "eyewitness testimony" how a bear has swiped a moose decapitating it so, that head flying through air. That is naturally a wet dream of some drunken hunter after too many days bad weather and too many bottles of vodka in the middle of nowhere. People see strange things at times like that. But many hunters tell, that bear can kill a moose by breaking its cervical vertebrae. As we can see from that video, that is very realistic thing to happen especially if bear is bigger and stronger, than that one on video.
2 users Like Shadow's post

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

(10-24-2018, 12:44 AM)Shadow Wrote:
(10-24-2018, 12:19 AM)Spalea Wrote: About #124 and #125 video: The bears feel judo instinctively. How to take down an opponent...

Yes. I have read about some "eyewitness testimony" how a bear has swiped a moose decapitating it so, that head flying through air. That is naturally a wet dream of some drunken hunter after too many days bad weather and too many bottles of vodka in the middle of nowhere. People see strange things at times like that. But many hunters tell, that bear can kill a moose by breaking its cervical vertebrae. As we can see from that video, that is very realistic thing to happen especially if bear is bigger and stronger, than that one on video.

The fact is, considering its moderate size, this bear, intelligently, controls the moose's movements of the head and the neck. And after throwing it on the ground, holds its head into the water. I said that to laugh but I seriously think this bear cleverly fighted.
3 users Like Spalea's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 10-24-2018, 04:38 PM by Shadow )

(10-24-2018, 02:07 AM)Spalea Wrote:
(10-24-2018, 12:44 AM)Shadow Wrote:

The fact is, considering its moderate size, this bear, intelligently, controls the moose's movements of the head and the neck. And after throwing it on the ground, holds its head into the water. I said that to laugh but I seriously think this bear cleverly fighted.
I noticed, but it was also quite true. That was not bad at all from the bear. I think, that something like that happen time to time. Many times places where bear has killed an adult moose are like there would have been a hand grenade exploding in the woods. About 20 square meters of ground can be totally messed up. It is easy to see, that "big boys" have had a dispute...

India brotherbear Offline
Grizzly Enthusiast

I believe that the constant wrestling among bear cubs, which it seems is their favorite pastime, is a valuable learning experience.
4 users Like brotherbear's post

Sanju Offline
( This post was last modified: 12-07-2018, 06:50 PM by Sanju )

A pack of bears facing pack of wolves representing the brute strength and domination of brown bears (may be from russia?).

4 users Like Sanju's post

Canada Wolverine Away
( This post was last modified: 11-24-2018, 12:02 PM by Wolverine )

(11-24-2018, 09:43 AM)Sanju Wrote: A pack of bears facing pack of wolves representing the brute strength and domination of brown bears (may be from russia?).
https://youtu.be/rTfWPIVELEs

Good find Sanju. I'm trying to understand what European language they speak, but for sure its not Russian.
2 users Like Wolverine's post

India brotherbear Offline
Grizzly Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 11-24-2018, 05:14 PM by brotherbear )

Post #141, Never saw anything like this. Evidently a mother brown bear with three nearly-grown cubs working together. I have to wonder how the wolf got himself into this situation. I really hate it for the wolf. We talk of predators fighting predators for interest of domination, but I really hate watching any of then being slaughtered. 

Edit and add: I have information that this took place in a Dutch Zoo where wolves and bears are supposedly sharing their artificial " natural" environment.
3 users Like brotherbear's post

Sanju Offline

Strong Like 

3 users Like Sanju's post

peter Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 12-11-2018, 05:44 AM by peter )

(11-24-2018, 09:43 AM)Sanju Wrote: A pack of bears facing pack of wolves representing the brute strength and domination of brown bears (may be from russia?).

This happened in a Dutch 'facility' this autumn. The voices say "...oh'...", "... ah ... ", "... they are playing ... ", etc. When they finally discovered the bears were slaugthering the wolf, they kept on recording.    

A few questions were asked after the video had been posted. I also read a few statements. To keep it short: nothing changed. In northwestern Europe, it's considered 'natural' to keep grey wolves and brown bears in one enclosure.

I've visited a few facilities where grey wolves and brown bears live in one large enclosure. Although it's true that incidents between both are few and far between, I sensed tension in every facility. Wolves have to watch their back all the time. 

I didn't see any 'domination', Sanju. The wolf was attacked from out of nowhere when it tried to get out of the water. When they noticed it was unable to defend itself, the other bears joined. I also didn't see a demonstration of 'brute strength'. Brown bears, even when immature, are bigger, larger and way more robust than grey wolves. The wolf had no chance whatsoever. 

I agree with Brotherbear in that the video is quite disgusting. One wonders why visitors record an incident like that. And why they decide to post it. A result of zero understanding and a total lack of respect, one would think.
3 users Like peter's post

Sanju Offline

@peter about post #145: weird that in north western europe, it is considered "natural" to put wolves and bears in the same enclosure. i mean zoo should have animals completely in their respected enclosure without mingling with other animals. although it can be applied in some zoos which contains some herbivores in enclosures but buffering predators together in one place even in a zoo is strange and in fact crazy as these kind of incidents happens unless both animals were raised from infant stage with each other.
3 users Like Sanju's post

United States Polar Offline
Polar Bear Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 12-09-2018, 05:59 AM by Polar )

Regarding post #145, that wolf was out of luck that day.

But overall, bears seem to dominate us (the greatest of us - possibly barring great apes) quite easily in strength, even when the upper echelon of human strength potential is compared, pound-for-pound or not. And for the bear to be able to "deadlift" a weight of that size that heavy (and still "lift" much more) can only mean that even the likes of Lamar Gant or bigger, stronger dudes like Eddie Hall or the Mountain don't even compare to an small version of that animal, that's crazy!
1 user Likes Polar's post

United States Polar Offline
Polar Bear Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 12-09-2018, 06:08 AM by Polar )

Here is a grizzly (whom doesn't even look like he/she is trying) pushing a plastic barrier against an older Bob Sapp in a cage. Bob Sapp actually didn't look like he was giving it his all (but he was trying a bit) as well since his knees weren't severely bent to give greater push against the cage. Otherwise, each time the bear rose back up and slightly pawed the barrier, I noticed the barrier move against Sapp quite a bit.
5 users Like Polar's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Gotta love Sapp.
2 users Like Pckts's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

Here is one casehttps://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar...201630027X

Here quote from that text: "In another case, a bear procured and ate a badger after digging its temporary shelter in the basin of Chaschevity creek (Sikhote-Alin Nature Reserve) in late October. The dimensions of the pit: 180 × 150 × 75 cm; when digging the animal pulled from the ground and threw away a rock with dimensions of 60 × 50 × 40 cm."

A rock of that size (if some common rock type) weights about 300-350 kg. One example what a bear can do when needed and there is motivation. This information is about brown bear.