There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 5 Vote(s) - 2.2 Average
Bear Strength

United States Polar Offline
Polar Bear Enthusiast

There is very definite scientific proof of bears maintaining, even growing, muscle mass after their hibernation (as is shown in one of my studies.)

The question is, do older bears get more of their muscle strength from this and not just because of increased slow-fiber Ib muscle percentage? 

I don't know if any other animal is capable of maintaining max strength post-prime. Though someone (I forgot who) suggested that hippos could follow this trend as well.
3 users Like Polar's post

Polar Bear Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 07-13-2016, 11:51 PM by Polar )

Here is a stock video link showing a polar bear (eight-years old and 500 pounds at most?) dragging a young, small walrus carcass. It might look like he is struggling with dragging it, but why over-exert your strength (especially for a polar bear) when there is absolutely no reason to?

A Polar Bear Drags a Walrus Carcass Across Beach

This isn't really a good indicator of "bear strength", but I am just posting it here for the heck of it.

Polar Bear Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 11-09-2016, 01:00 PM by Polar )

Extremely wicked video of a small bear tossing a trap, weighing hundreds-of-pounds, around like a beach ball:

Polar Bear Enthusiast

Video of two big-sized Alaskan Brown Bears sizing each other up: notice their flexibility, agility, and sudden bursts of explosion. Also, the bear on the right seems to be vomiting in the middle of the video:

India brotherbear Offline
Grizzly Enthusiast

Casey Anderson and his pal, Brutus: https://mytakeontv.wordpress.com/2009/05/16/exploring-grizzly-bears-with-casey-anderson/ 

What is something that you learned in spending the year with Grizzlies that has affected your daily life going forward?
Insight from Brutus: if it is physically possible, then it is done. If not, it isn’t. After weighing a boulder in at one ton, we used a tractor to lift it to place a piece of salmon under it. Soon after, Brutus caught the scent of the salmon and walked to the boulder. In one swift move, he pushed the boulder to the side and happily devoured the salmon. It dawned on me as I stood next to my friend: he doesn’t worry much; he is not handicapped by his mind. If his body isn’t capable of doing it, then that is his only limitation. He does not sit there and contemplate, or make excuses; he just does all he can. Then goes and takes a nap in the sunshine. How great would it be if we could all live that way?
2 users Like brotherbear's post

Polar Bear Enthusiast

The following is an account of an injured, 80-kg brown bear cub managing to kill a (large-looking) adult man. This proves that even much smaller bears can eradicate any human with ease:

Bear Cub Kills Russian Hunter After Getting Injured

Make sure to translate the page first.
1 user Likes Polar's post

Grizzly Enthusiast

From post #111... A terrible accident in Ponazyrevsky District. Bear hunter lifted. 

That bear was killed and his victim. Despite its small size, the bear had great power and hit her claws. Animal weight - about 80 kilograms. Enough to knock off the adult male feet.Tragedy struck the night before. The three hunters went to the oat field, watch the bear.They shot, but not killed came to feed the beast. Wounded animal went into the woods.Both men went on the trail - to finish off a wounded animal. One of the hunters was slightly ahead. And a furious wounded bear suddenly ran at him from behind the bushes, knocked to the ground and began tearing claws. 

Olga Vakurova Art. assistant SU TFR in the Kostroma region, said: "The rest of the hunters ran to his aid, saw the bear inflicts bodily injury. And the beast was shot. During the test, a forensic medical examination is appointed, that will give the exact cause of death of the victim. "
3 users Like brotherbear's post

Grizzly Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 12-14-2016, 06:26 PM by brotherbear )

Posts #111 and #112; that is an 80 kg ( 176 pounds ) young grizzly sub-adult, hardly more than a mere cub ( and wounded ), that was able to attack and kill a full-grown man.

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

@HyperNova
Welcome to the forum, Nice information.
3 users Like sanjay's post

Grizzly Enthusiast

Welcome to Wildfacts, HyperNova.
As for "fast twitch muscle fibers" I have been seeing this "term" and reading this "term" on so many posts and I am still completely in the dark. I knew a guy once who had a twitch; it's not a good thing. I can assure you, it is the 10+ year old grizzly who has the strength to fight his way to a chosen she-bear or defend a carcass or a prime fishing location. Nothing weak about those older bears.
3 users Like brotherbear's post

Canada HyperNova Offline

Apparently, I messed up the editing pretty bad the first time I tried to post, I even accidently include cheetah information in there... I can't edit so I delete my post and will repost the new version here. Hopefully this worked : 

*This image is copyright of its original author

(moderator please delete cheetah information if it show up again)

Can't access the original paper but based on this table, mature brown bears appear to have less fast twitch muscles fibers than younger bears. The most striking difference is the lack of type IIx fiber in 10 years + bears for those specific 3 muscles. This would suggest that those 3 specifics muscles are far more powerful (relative to size) in younger bears than they are in matures bears.

@brotherbear 

''As for "fast twitch muscle fibers" I have been seeing this "term" and reading this "term" on so many posts and I am still completely in the dark. I knew a guy once who had a twitch; it's not a good thing.''
Haha, nice joke! Regarding fast twitchs muscles fibers, I can explain it as best as I can but I'm not an expert, will this view as off topic if I do it here? because I woudn't used bear as an exemple I don't have much data about them.

''I can assure you, it is the 10+ year old grizzly who has the strength to fight his way to a chosen she-bear or defend a carcass or a prime fishing location. Nothing weak about those older bears.''
No doubt about this, but viewing your post it seems you may not perfectly understand the difference between power and strenght, I'm I right?
2 users Like HyperNova's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

@HyperNova
Since you are a new member, there will be some restriction (This is done to deal with spammers). Don't worry, I will grant you the access of a regular member.
3 users Like sanjay's post

Grizzly Enthusiast

.....it seems you may not perfectly understand the difference between power and strength, I'm I right? 

Alright, I'll bite. What is the difference between power and strength? 

Canada HyperNova Offline
( This post was last modified: 05-01-2017, 12:43 AM by HyperNova )

@brotherbear

Power is the ability to generate as much force as fast as possible, strenght is simply the amount of force a muscle or group of muscle can exert.

Basically if we take a muscle able the generate a large amount of force then we will say this muscle is strong, but if he can't generate this amount of force quickly, then he is not powerfull.

Surely there is better way to explain it, I think Polar explain this in one of his post but I can't find it right now.
2 users Like HyperNova's post

Grizzly Enthusiast

http://humanfitproject.com/fitness-worko...-strength/