There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Avoca male lions

Tylermartin! Offline

(08-23-2023, 10:01 PM)Robot00 Wrote: Hopefully his brother is still there and they will soon reunite. But let's say his brother unfortunately got sacrificed, wouldn't it be something if he runs into mohawk and they joined up? It'll be so cool

MY GOODNESS I don’t know how that would workout they haven’t seen each other since I believe a manyleti guide said all 5 where together many many years ago Before the two older brother left

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

They don't remember each other, of course. But since Mohawk is nomadic, it's possible they could accept him just like they accepted tthe Talamati male.

Tylermartin! Offline

(08-24-2023, 12:02 AM)Mapokser Wrote: They don't remember each other, of course. But since Mohawk is nomadic, it's possible they could accept him just like they accepted tthe Talamati male.

How are you so sure they won’t remember each other?
1 user Likes Tylermartin!'s post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

They will remember each other. Lions have a good memory. 
But at this point their last meeting as partners is so long ago and things have changed so much. They are going to react to each other just as wary as they would be to a complete stranger.

Just like we do really. Offcource you still remember your old classmate from 10 to 20 years ago and hold no ill feelings. But that doesn't mean that if they suddenly pop up in your Facebook messages inviting you for drinks, you two don't immediately continue where you two left off all those years ago. Most would just assume its a MLM scam.
2 users Like Duco Ndona's post

Tylermartin! Offline

(08-24-2023, 12:51 AM)Duco Ndona Wrote: They will remember each other. Lions have a good memory. 
But at this point their last meeting as partners is so long ago and things have changed so much. They are going to react to each other just as wary as they would be to a complete stranger.

Just like we do really. Offcource you still remember your old classmate from 10 to 20 years ago and hold no ill feelings. But that doesn't mean that if they suddenly pop up in your Facebook messages inviting you for drinks, you two don't immediately continue where you two left off all those years ago. Most would just assume its a MLM scam.

Thank you for that but do you remember when skorro jr fled the west and return him to the manyleti how long had it been since skorro jr was in the manyleti he had to have remembered his home where he was born and that was right after limper died

United States afortich Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 08-24-2023, 12:56 AM by afortich )

It is very hard to tell how much they could remember because we know very little about it. However, I personally believe that they could remember way more than we human think.
3 users Like afortich's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

Personally I am basing this on interactions between lions released in the wild and their handlers.
It also makes not much sense for a social animals to have terrible social memory.
3 users Like Duco Ndona's post

United States T_Ferguson Offline

Both of these boys were last seen way up north.  For this one to be here alone back in the old grounds and sporting these kinds of injuries.  I don't have a lot of hope for the other S. Avoca turning up.  I know many here are far more educated than I, but I've seen some other posts out there talking about the Mantimahle sons or other lions from the area they moved into after taking on Dreadlocks.  Amazing how fast things like this transpire.  These boys were invincible just 2 months ago.
1 user Likes T_Ferguson's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

@Tylermartin! because a lion's memory/bond definitely don't last for more than 2 years, probably at best for 1,5 year.

Mohawk himself initially rejected DM after only 1 year and it took him a while to realize the guy was his past ally.

OM chased his own littermate after only 1,5 year, though possibly recognized his aunts when they meet up close.

Mapogos attacked and tried to take over their natal pride after 3,5 years, and the list goes on.

It's been more than 5 years since they last saw each other.

Gavskrr Offline
magVarseVE

It was disclosed in a group, information coming from a forest ranger, that the injuries to the southern avocado came from a possible confrontation with kambulas over buffalo carcass. Your brother hasn't been seen around. It must be the first time I've seen southern avocas separated like this, considering there weren't that many sightings. This is worrying and a very bad sign.
3 users Like Gavskrr's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 08-24-2023, 02:45 AM by afortich )

(08-24-2023, 02:24 AM)Mapokser Wrote: @Tylermartin! because a lion's memory/bond definitely don't last for more than 2 years, probably at best for 1,5 year.

Mohawk himself initially rejected DM after only 1 year and it took him a while to realize the guy was his past ally.

OM chased his own littermate after only 1,5 year, though possibly recognized his aunts when they meet up close.

Mapogos attacked and tried to take over their natal pride after 3,5 years, and the list goes on.

I don't think "memory" is the same as "bond". Mohwak rejected DM but didn't attack him to kill him or seriously injure him.
I don't believe we could figure out how much a lion/animal is able to remember until we're able to properly test their memory, or, communicate with them.
1 user Likes afortich's post

United Kingdom KM600 Offline

(08-24-2023, 02:41 AM)Gavskrr Wrote: It was disclosed in a group, information coming from a forest ranger, that the injuries to the southern avocado came from a possible confrontation with kambulas over buffalo carcass. Your brother hasn't been seen around. It must be the first time I've seen southern avocas separated like this, considering there weren't that many sightings. This is worrying and a very bad sign.

Out of all the possible scenarios, this doesn’t seem as bad as you’d think. Very unlikely that the other Southern Avoca was seriously injured over the right to a carcass. I’ve seen cubs get fatally wounded when two prides have been on the same kill, but I’ve never seen such interactions between males. Normally, they’ll just do as much damage as need be in order to control the kill, after that they don’t much care for the other males. They prioritise food over fighting and finishing their opponents.
1 user Likes KM600's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

None of these are really examples of bad memory. Just that a lion starts concidering another lion as a outsider once enough time without contact has passed.
Keep in mind that a long lost brother is not less of a rival to a male lion than a complete stranger is. They arent going to say "thats uncle Furballs pride. Lets not take it over for families sake" 

As for taking over natal prides. Even without mating opportunities, taking over a pride has its advantages to a male lion. So them taking their natal pride is not that odd.
2 users Like Duco Ndona's post

Germany BA0701 Online
Super Moderator

How long were the Mlowathis off in the east? Mr. T was accepted back into the fold after that extended separation.
1 user Likes BA0701's post

Tylermartin! Offline

(08-24-2023, 02:43 AM)afortich Wrote:
(08-24-2023, 02:24 AM)Mapokser Wrote: @Tylermartin! because a lion's memory/bond definitely don't last for more than 2 years, probably at best for 1,5 year.

I don't think "memory" is the same as "bond". Mohwak rejected DM but didn't attack him to kill him or seriously injure him.
I don't believe we could figure out how much a lion/animal is able to remember until we're able to properly test their memory, or, communicate with them.
That was when he had blondie he has no partner now and hasn’t roared in a long time and has been getting chased around a lot so if his brother was to show up he might welcome him might take some time but nobody knows