There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Avoca male lions

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(03-24-2022, 10:04 PM)Mdz123 Wrote:
(03-24-2022, 09:16 PM)DARK MANE Wrote:
(03-24-2022, 08:15 PM)Potato Wrote:
(03-24-2022, 07:46 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Mhangenis, Styx's would definitely avoid DM Avoca.
If they would be aware of his presence then yes. If DM you catch them by suprise then Styx females would have little choice but to stand their ground and protect their cubs.

Gore was seen with the styx pride few days ago

Gore’s injured and he doesnt like fighting so he probably wont be a threat to DM. This was already shown when DM beat him on a kill

As far as I remember Gore was actualy one of the two Ndzenga males which confronted some unknown males (probably 2 De Laporte males) a while ago. I believe Gore is much less hendicaped than many believes, through I would expect that 1 on 1 DM as long as he is in decent shape should be the more dominant one.
1 user Likes Potato's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

Its a very big longshot but it would be interesting to see if there will be a take over attempt. 
Dark Mane could in theory drive out Gore and try to take over the Styx pride. It would then be up to the N'was to see if they feel like keeping the pride and get rid of him or focus more on their newly gained land in the north east. 

Most likely it would just get him killed though. But Darkmane is desperate and the recent interaction probably did bolster his confidence. So who knows.

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(03-24-2022, 10:28 PM)Duco Ndona Wrote: Its a very big longshot but it would be interesting to see if there will be a take over attempt. 
Dark Mane could in theory drive out Gore and try to take over the Styx pride. It would then be up to the N'was to see if they feel like keeping the pride and get rid of him or focus more on their newly gained land in the north east. 

Most likely it would just get him killed though. But Darkmane is desperate and the recent interaction probably did bolster his confidence. So who knows.

Takeover attempt vs 4 males? Yea no. 

Gore is not alone in Sabi Sands, Amahle was there jus few days ago with him and with Styx's, Orange Eyes was there week ago.. Nwaswitshakas didn't abandon that area, its not 1 vs 1, its 1 vs 4, if he tries anything, he will be dead, but nobody is that crazy to challenge 4 males alone.. He is keeping low profile and only trying to survive.

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(03-24-2022, 10:18 PM)Potato Wrote: As far as I remember Gore was actualy one of the two Ndzenga males which confronted some unknown males (probably 2 De Laporte males) a while ago. I believe Gore is much less hendicaped than many believes, through I would expect that 1 on 1 DM as long as he is in decent shape should be the more dominant one.

With WideNose he was chasing 2 Sand River young males last year, he might not be as confident alone, but with 1 of his brothers side by its prob different, he also looks in best shape since long time.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 03-24-2022, 11:49 PM by Duco Ndona )

I meant it more that he makes the mistake of assuming Gore is alone and the rest will just abandon the pride. I know its a huge longshot but desperate cats making weird jumps and all that.
Not that he may win against the entire coalition. That would be ridiculous. 

Still. Gore may do wise to stick to his brothers for a while. If he keeps on his own, it will be one versus one.
And regardless of his chances of a take over. The opportunity of eliminating a member of a rival coalition is always a bonus.
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(03-24-2022, 11:46 PM)Duco Ndona Wrote: I meant it more that he makes the mistake of assuming Gore is alone and the rest will just abandon the pride. I know its a huge longshot but desperate cats making weird jumps and all that.
Not that he may win against the entire coalition. That would be ridiculous. 

Still. Gore may do wise to stick to his brothers for a while. If he keeps on his own, it will be one versus one.
And regardless of his chances of a take over. The opportunity of eliminating a member of a rival coalition is always a bonus.

I dont think DM is currently in a phase to fight any males for territory, he is just roaming around and trying to find food, and maybe get lucky and find some "empty" pride.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Hairy tummy Offline

6 users Like Hairy tummy's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

6 users Like Potato's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Time really flies, its 4 yrs since N. Avocas came to northern Sabi Sands, althrough Mohawk/Blondie are still here, DM leaving is end of this chapter.

All respect to Blondie and DM (they did their best despite they where not 100% healthy and always had some u injury problems) , but we need to give credit to Mohawk, at they arrival, he was always over looked, as being the smallest and least impressive of the 3, but he turned that around in the past 2+ yrs, he become leader and real icon with his character of northern Sabi Sands. We can only imagen what this coalition could succed if both DM and Blondie where 100% healthy. 

It will be fun to watch what is next for N. Avocas, as they are getting in their older stages of life.
5 users Like Tr1x24's post

WildLeonis Away

@Trlx24  - Indeed. Time really does fly. I think the boys will be turning 9 this year. So they’ll be starting to move out of their prime into their “twilight” years. It’ll be interesting to see how things progress for them as they get older and younger coalitions move into the area.

Hairy tummy Offline
( This post was last modified: 03-26-2022, 04:58 AM by Hairy tummy )

Which Birmingham boys were still around when the original clashes with the n avoca took place?

DARK MANE Offline
Banned

(03-26-2022, 04:58 AM)Hairy tummy Wrote: Which Birmingham boys were still around when the original clashes with the n avoca took place?

In second half of 2017, for the time being , 4 bboys ( nsuku (the leader,), nhenha, tinyo and mfumo) leaves the northern prides ( nkuhuma, styx and Torchwood) and moves to central SS and acquire kambula pride. 

In March 2018 , mfumo bboy disappear. (Many people says today's nkuhuma young male resembles very much of him, so probably his son. ) So at this bboys were reduced to just 3 ( nsuku, nhenha and tinyo). N. Avocas arrived at this point and started claiming talamatis and nkuhuma. 

3 bboys smell this and move to North to defend their prides from young challengers. Though it was a 3 VS 3 fight and bboys were far more experienced, but the N. Avocas persisted and bboys were FORCED to leave the northern prides once and for all. 

Lately that year, nsuku got severly injured in a Buffalo hunt and he died in 2019 October. After sometime tinyo start to loose health so it was pointless for one nhenha to go and fight with 3 or even 2 strong northern avocas.
1 user Likes DARK MANE's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Northern Avocas  are clearly on a downfall. If all 3 would reunite then that would have been a different story. As of now however DM as nomad on his own probably won't survive long. Blondie is being slowly consumed by TB (apart of consistant thin, the is also very poorly healing wound as another symptom confirming that he indeed has TB) and there is question mark how much he can add in potential competition with other lions. In that circumstances Avocas could have big problem if some young males would decide to challange them or if PC males would want to aquire more females which they could find in the form of Nkuchuma and Talamati pride (therefore push further north-east into Avocas territory).

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

*This image is copyright of its original author

*This image is copyright of its original author
3 users Like Potato's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(03-26-2022, 12:42 PM)Potato Wrote: Northern Avocas  are clearly on a downfall. If all 3 would reunite then that would have been a different story. As of now however DM as nomad on his own probably won't survive long. Blondie is being slowly consumed by TB (apart of consistant thin, the is also very poorly healing wound as another symptom confirming that he indeed has TB) and there is question mark how much he can add in potential competition with other lions. In that circumstances Avocas could have big problem if some young males would decide to challange them or if PC males would want to aquire more females which they could find in the form of Nkuchuma and Talamati pride (therefore push further north-east into Avocas territory).

Well i think they are safe for now, as long as they are 2, i dont see PC Boys challenging them in near future, PC boys just establish themselves in Singita, so they will most likely stay there for now and take stronger claim on that area, prob will try to push for prides in that area, which are Mhangenis. They already started mating with 1 female, so thats a good sign. It would be foolish for them to already risk that for 50:50 fight with N. Avocas. 

There is no other real threat for N. Avocas in near future, N'ws will not push further north, north of them is 1 Imbali male and northeast now only 1 Kruger male as looks like other is gone. 

As for young or up and coming coalitions, Kambulas and Talamatis are too young to be a threat for atleast another year and theres no such young coalitions in Manyeleti or Mluwati Concession. Only unknown is what is east from them in Kruger, area in which are 5th Mantimahle and son, but i dont think theres a big chance that some bigger coalition cames from there. 

If we follow path of coalitions which dominated northern Sabi Sands in the past 15 yrs or so, those coalitions always came from the north (Manyeleti and Timbavati). 

So i think N. Avocas are safe for atleast another year, potentialy 5 yrs of dominance for coalition of 2+1 is big success, especially if they manage to protect those Nkuhuma cubs to subadult age.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post