There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Avoca male lions

DARK MANE Offline
Banned

S. Avocas and Mohawk Avoca. 

https://youtu.be/5iXVwE9Ovuw

10 users Like DARK MANE's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Mohawk on CP (same as the subs with WE), Dark Mane on Arathusa

6 users Like Tonpa's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

DM and son on Londolozi, they mention Blondies death so probably from a few days ago. 

12 users Like Tonpa's post

Australia Horizon Offline
Moderators

9 users Like Horizon's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

Mohawk

7 users Like afortich's post

WildLeonis Away

(11-03-2022, 01:48 AM)afortich Wrote: Mohawk

I can probably count on one hand the number of times I’ve seen Mohawk this relaxed. Lol.He’s usually up and moving around. Or very alert even if he’s resting. The weather must be great indeed in the SS today. 

I do wonder how the loss of Blondie is impacting him or if it’s impacting him at all. They’d been together for 9 years and now he’s just gone. Not seen, not answering when Mohawk calls for him.  Lions aren’t human but they are very social and form strong bonds with pride members and/or coalition partners. I do wonder if they go through some sort of “grieving” process, albeit brief, when a member with whom they were extremely  close dies.
5 users Like WildLeonis's post

Contributor
( This post was last modified: 11-03-2022, 09:46 AM by afortich )

(11-03-2022, 06:49 AM)WildLeonis Wrote:
(11-03-2022, 01:48 AM)afortich Wrote: Mohawk

I can probably count on one hand the number of times I’ve seen Mohawk this relaxed. Lol.He’s usually up and moving around. Or very alert even if he’s resting. The weather must be great indeed in the SS today. 

I do wonder how the loss of Blondie is impacting him or if it’s impacting him at all. They’d been together for 9 years and now he’s just gone. Not seen, not answering when Mohawk calls for him.  Lions aren’t human but they are very social and form strong bonds with pride members and/or coalition partners. I do wonder if they go through some sort of “grieving” process, albeit brief, when a member with whom they were extremely  close dies.

You're probably right. I personally believe that they have to go through a form of grieving process, just like you said, although different than ours. He is probably missing his bro blondie.
3 users Like afortich's post

Netherlands Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

A grieving proces is nothing more than  our instincts punishing us for losing a loved one. You lost your cub/pall so now suffer and do better next time. Nothing romantic, human or special about that.

A wild animal gets past this rather quickly as they tend to live more in the present and showing a weakness can be dangerous. But I know tigers that lost their partner weeks ago and suddenly started contact calling and still did so for weeks.
3 users Like Duco Ndona's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Idk why, but its always sad to see remaining male alone who recently lost his partner.

Bond and "friendship" between Mohawk and Blondie was very strong, even on kills and on competition for mating rights, which can be very fierce, you rarely seen this 2 getting agressive or in a fight against each other. 

Also, now in more recent times, when Mohawk surpass Blondie in dominance, and now until very end when Blondie was very weak, Mohawk never dominated Blondie on kills, denying him access to food, something which stronger males often do to their weak/sick partners. 

True "friendship" and respect to the end between this 2.
13 users Like Tr1x24's post

Contributor
( This post was last modified: 11-03-2022, 09:07 PM by afortich )

Of course animals don't sorrow in the same manner we do but they have to be in sorrow and miss when a close partner is not longer there, although in a different level compared to humans.
If you have dogs, cats, etc., and pay attention to them, you'll notice that when you leave for a while or days and even death, they get very sad. Therefore, it is easy to conclude that lions will not be an exception to feeling sad.
6 users Like afortich's post

Australia WARRIOR7 Offline

DarkMane Avoca,  sad to see him like this , he was looking good not long ago now suddenly this. 
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_f...4675009502

Attached Files Image(s)

7 users Like WARRIOR7's post

LandSeaLion Offline
Banned
( This post was last modified: 11-06-2022, 06:20 AM by LandSeaLion )

Oh no. :’(

I saw a picture of him a couple of weeks ago and thought he was looking a bit skinny even then…but that is a sharp deterioration. I hope he does not have TB.
6 users Like LandSeaLion's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(11-06-2022, 05:56 AM)WARRIOR7 Wrote: DarkMane Avoca,  sad to see him like this , he was looking good not long ago now suddenly this. 
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_f...4675009502

Not suprising, as he was left alone, as his son returned to Talamatis and they where/are in western sector.

Although he can prob survive on his own for time being, he definitely benefits having his son/s or Talamatis with him, they will get him food more often and easier then when he needs to do it by himself.

Alone, with limp and not so great condition, he is mostly reliant on scavenging, opportunities which might not occur too often.
7 users Like Tr1x24's post

BigLion39 Offline

Oh no, he went downhill quick. Poor boy. It would benefit Mohawk and Darkmane so, so, so much to team up. I know it's not likely but it would so much.
2 users Like BigLion39's post

Netherlands Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

Perhaps if they were evicted from their prides at roughly the same times. 

Avocas seem to be having a disastrous year aswell. Not that long ago we were discussing a potential takeover of the Kambulas. And now they are almost down to one.