There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Avoca Male Lions and Their Male Lineage

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

He also look very similar to NK/Thanda Impi male Sizanani.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Rui Ferreira Online

(10-04-2024, 06:48 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: He also look very similar to NK/Thanda Impi male Sizanani.

He does acctually, after all Chela´s mother was Sizanani´s sister, maybe Blondie and Dozie genes played a role who knows
3 users Like Rui Ferreira's post

Mapokser Online
Contributor

@NLAL11 Yeah, Chela's younger, I was talking about Ridge Nose's son, he's the exact same age as K6.
1 user Likes Mapokser's post

Ttimemarti Offline

(10-04-2024, 03:49 PM)KM600 Wrote:
(10-04-2024, 08:01 AM)Ttimemarti Wrote: Out of all of the avoca offspring I think the plains camp young male and darkmanes older son who disappeared mysteriously those two are the most impressive but chelas son and ridgenoses son have potential if the talamati male hadn’t had much a rough time while he was with his brother then I think he could’ve been a bit bigger

I hope the Plains Camp male manages to find himself a good situation with some partners, that’s a very confident male at his young age. I also don’t think Khanya didn’t get any bigger cos of any rough time, he was just always naturally slimmer than his brother, reminded me a bit of Lorkulup compared to his brothers. 

One thing about sizes in lions, a lion can always get bulkier no matter its age but it can’t get any taller after a certain point. That’s why I think Chelas boy is the more impressive brother between the two as of right now, because his mane development and body type is great for his age, but going forward Ridge Nose son will start to become way more impressive. We’ve already seen him too starting to bulk up just as much, and on top of that he’s naturally bigger. Now if we were to compare both of their behaviours, then that’s a different topic.

Yeah I’ve noticed it depends on your genes your health and how much you eat the plain camp males and the kambula boys they always eat and bring down buffalo constantly plus they have great genes and the talamati male he was always skinny and sick I thought he had TB but once his brother disappeared he started to get much bigger unfortunately his brother isn’t with him
1 user Likes Ttimemarti's post

Ngonya Offline
Contributor

Mohawk Avoca with the two Nkuhuma males at KNP

*This image is copyright of its original author

by Nina
13 users Like Ngonya's post

Poland NLAL11 Offline

(10-04-2024, 09:03 PM)Mapokser Wrote: @NLAL11 Yeah, Chela's younger, I was talking about Ridge Nose's son, he's the exact same age as K6.

Ah okay. To be fair, K6 is quite impressive for his age as well. RN's son might be taller though. Or maybe, they're all quite normal for their ages.
1 user Likes NLAL11's post

United Kingdom KM600 Offline

(10-06-2024, 10:15 AM)Ngonya Wrote: Mohawk Avoca with the two Nkuhuma males at KNP

by Nina

These boys always be looking so full, we know they’re great hunters already but I’m starting to think maybe the access to prey they have is just that much better. I know obviously KNP is way bigger than Sabi Sands but it’s not like they are completely nomadic going through multiple territories, they’re trying to settle down and become dominant around a certain place. S.Avocas were also always in great condition and they obviously had territory in Skukuza and Rhino Post specifically atleast for part of their reign but we never seen as far North East as these boys have been seen.
1 user Likes KM600's post

Rui Ferreira Online

(10-06-2024, 10:15 AM)Ngonya Wrote: Mohawk Avoca with the two Nkuhuma males at KNP

by Nina
Beautiful image 
And a beautiful story Mohawk is making not only for himself but for the Northen Avocas as a whole 
Looks like he found his Dark Mane and Blondie in their own blood 
Lets hope he has one last dance with these young big boys 
Truly a legendary coalition, if theres anyone who deserves to spend his golden years like this is him 
Yes he made his mistakes when turned hostile to Dark Mane 
But he and his brothers made their mark in sabi sands from north to south to lets hope greater Kruger 
5 Nkuhuma females 
The whole Msultu pride (4) already with 11 grandsons
Khanya, RN's,Chela's, Nkuhuma Young, and maybe Dziwhala whatever he may be 
This alone is Northen Avocas legacy 

If we count the Southern brothers in the mix as "The Avocas" as a whole, we might be seeing the most successful coalition since WSM ( maybe polemic what I just said)
Who would have tought that those 5 slim males crippling down to sabi sands in 2017 would have made all of what we see today 
Anyway atleast thats what I take from this photo...
7 users Like Rui Ferreira's post

Ngonya Offline
Contributor

(10-06-2024, 04:43 PM)Rui Ferreira Wrote:

by Nina
Beautiful image 
And a beautiful story Mohawk is making not only for himself but for the Northen Avocas as a whole 
Looks like he found his Dark Mane and Blondie in their own blood 
Lets hope he has one last dance with these young big boys 
Truly a legendary coalition, if theres anyone who deserves to spend his golden years like this is him 
Yes he made his mistakes when turned hostile to Dark Mane 
But he and his brothers made their mark in sabi sands from north to south to lets hope greater Kruger 
5 Nkuhuma females 
The whole Msultu pride (4) already with 11 grandsons
Khanya, RN's,Chela's, Nkuhuma Young, and maybe Dziwhala whatever he may be 
This alone is Northen Avocas legacy 

If we count the Southern brothers in the mix as "The Avocas" as a whole, we might be seeing the most successful coalition since WSM ( maybe polemic what I just said)
Who would have tought that those 5 slim males crippling down to sabi sands in 2017 would have made all of what we see today 
Anyway atleast thats what I take from this photo...
well said. I truly hope they find success in KNP, they certainly got the potential. And as you said it, Mohawk deserves one last dance!

I said it before and i'll say it again... It is unrealistic but i wish the boys and Mohawk would maybe allow other male(s) to join them increasing their numbers and consequently their potential as a coaltion. I just mention that cause it makes me sad every time i remember jow tragically and early they lost two brothers.
It's a misfortune what happened with their brother Lip Scar and whatever is likely to have happened with the younger brother that went missing...
It was said back then that when these two remaining Nkuhuma young males were mating with the Mantimahle lioness, their brother was a bit more immature and didn't really know how to interact with the female, getting hostile... Which made his brother chase him (trying to push him away from the lady or something).
Mohawk coming from the northern Sabi Sand managed to find them within a short period of time while it seems like their brother never really made it unfortunately
2 users Like Ngonya's post

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor

by Nina

Have they taken over a pride there yet
2 users Like Mdz123's post

(10-07-2024, 08:15 PM)Mdz123 Wrote:

by Nina

A full pride, no, looks like they trying to form a breakaway most likely from Mantimhale Pride tho, and considering they were recently spotted with 2 females who are most likely from that pride, it’s not going too bad.
3 users Like KM600's post

South Africa Rabubi Offline

(10-06-2024, 04:20 PM)KM600 Wrote:

by Nina

These boys always be looking so full, we know they’re great hunters already but I’m starting to think maybe the access to prey they have is just that much better. I know obviously KNP is way bigger than Sabi Sands but it’s not like they are completely nomadic going through multiple territories, they’re trying to settle down and become dominant around a certain place. S.Avocas were also always in great condition and they obviously had territory in Skukuza and Rhino Post specifically atleast for part of their reign but we never seen as far North East as these boys have been seen.

I'm just speculating here but it could be that the general area around eastern SS and southern Kruger is one of the more fertile and productive parts of the region and thus supports a higher density of herbivores. If that is the case, then Mohawk and his sons have better access to prey where they are.
2 users Like Rabubi's post

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 10-07-2024, 11:25 PM by Mdz123 )

(10-07-2024, 09:06 PM)KM600 Wrote:

by Nina

A full pride, no, looks like they trying to form a breakaway most likely from Mantimhale Pride tho, and considering they were recently spotted with 2 females who are most likely from that pride, it’s not going too bad.

Werent  the legendary Mantamhles males in control of the pride previously? Looks like they are gone now, so Nkuhumas could go for a full takeover
1 user Likes Mdz123's post

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor

(10-07-2024, 09:18 PM)Rabubi Wrote:
(10-06-2024, 04:20 PM)KM600 Wrote:

by Nina

I'm just speculating here but it could be that the general area around eastern SS and southern Kruger is one of the more fertile and productive parts of the region and thus supports a higher density of herbivores. If that is the case, then Mohawk and his sons have better access to prey where they are.

Southern Kruger genes have dominated Sabi Sands recently, Gijimas, N'was, PC males all come from that general region
3 users Like Mdz123's post

(10-07-2024, 11:25 PM)Mdz123 Wrote:
(10-07-2024, 09:06 PM)KM600 Wrote:

by Nina

Werent  the legendary Mantamhles males in control of the pride previously? Looks like they are gone now, so Nkuhumas could go for a full takeover

Apparently 3 Imbali males control that pride, and on top of that they’re only 2 males, technically 3 short term if Mohawk sticks around, but long term they’re gonna be outnumbered unless they make the coalition bigger with outside males. Hopefully they do manager a takeover and pass on the great Avoca / Girrafe / Nkuhuma / Matimba genes.
5 users Like KM600's post