There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

Poll: Do you support lion translocation from Gir to Kuno Palpur?
Absolutely!
No.
On the fence...
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Asiatic Lion Reintroduction Project

Sanju Offline
( This post was last modified: 11-18-2018, 01:09 PM by Rishi )

Radio collaring of Lions started in Gir with the aim to track their movements outside forest & restrain illegal lion shows. It will also help to curb human-animal conflict & provide crucial scientific information. Two lions radio-collared in the inductive phase.
This path breaking initiative for scientific monitoring of lion population and its use for management of conflict is vision of Hon CM @CMOGuj ,@drrajivguptaias @pccfwl. Congratulations to Gir team for first two radio collaring of Lions.@PMOIndia

https://twitter.com/dcfsasangir/status/1...2839778304

lol... :)
1 user Likes Sanju's post

Sanju Offline
( This post was last modified: 11-18-2018, 01:13 PM by Rishi )

(01-31-2015, 12:29 PM)peter Wrote: ASIAN LIONS THEN AND NOW

Over the years, I've read many posts about Asian lions. It seems many think lions were unknown in Asia in the past. Many also think African lions were introduced to India by local rulers. I don't agree.  

In AVA (in the tiger thread), I posted more than once on a book written by J.F. Brandt ('Untersuchungen über die Verbreituing des Tigers und seine Beziehungen zur Menschheit', St. Petersburg, 1856). For his book, Brandt read just about anything written on the two big cats in Asia. To keep it short: there's no question whatsoever that lions had been known in Asia Minor, parts of India and the region north-west of India (up to north-east of Kabul in Afghanistan) for a long time.

WHERE LIONS AND TIGERS MET

Asia Minor (apart from parts of Central India) probably was the only place where tigers and lions lived in close proximity for a long time. I'm referring to the region just south of Georgia all the way down to the deserts to the south. Same for the region between Georgia and the Indus River to the east. Although both big cats lived in close proximity, Brandt didn't find a shred of evidence of interaction anywhere. Lions occupied open terrain and tigers (as well as bears) preferred elevated and forested parts of the same region.

Tigers living in Asia Minor belonged to Panthera tigris virgata. In most books and reports, they were described as somewhat smaller and darker (the stripes often were brownish) than those living in the northern part (the Caspian and the region east and north-east of the Caspian). They were also described as very wild at heart. Not suited for captivity. Those out for cubs usually had a rough time when they had found and taken cubs. There are many stories about tigresses entering villages and attacking villagers. The bond between tigresses and their cubs was well known, if not legendary.

INDIAN LIONS

It could be some local Indian rulers imported African lions at some stage and it could be some of these mixed with the local lions, but Brandt is very clear about lions in south-west Asia: they were there well before humans began writing about them. I also think they were not pushed out of India by tigers. Asian lions were exterminated by humans when these began to multiply and fire-arms and poison became available. The reason is they were much more visible and, therefore, vulnarable.

THE FUTURE OF INDIAN LIONS

Based on what I read in Brandt's book, lions, I think, could be re-introduced in most wild parts of Asia Minor. The problem, of course, is the region is unstable. Eastern Turkey, parts of southern Georgia and northern Irak, Iran and some parts of Pakistan and Afghanistan, however, could be suited. For now. My choice, strange as it may sound, would be the region in eastern Iran, north-western Pakistan and east and south-east Afghanistan. Barren and elevated it is, but largely deserted. We'd have to meet with some of the local warlords, of course. If there are, as rumours suggest, any Caspian tigers left, they would be in that part of Asia. Some of the former Sovjet Republics (in the extreme south of the former Sovjet-Union) could be suited as well. Things are a bit slow over there. Lions could boost tourism. But I would want to see a few Caspian tigers as well. 

great!

(03-28-2015, 03:54 AM)Krillow Wrote: I think Asian lions would thrive throughout India.  Their main threat being humans, and crossing into civilization.  I think tigers, and lions can coexist no problem.  Of course occasional conflicts may arrise.  That's the case with every animals though.  Sloth bears, rhinos, elephants, tigers.   Natural conflicts occur. Historically tigers, and lions coexisted in India, the way it should be.  If not for humans, and poaching.  And I do think that tigers, and lions would stay our of each others way for the most part.  Tigers wouldn't pose a risk to relocating the lions, but like with all animals a rare conflict may happen.

EXACTLY.

(06-06-2015, 05:49 AM)Brehm Wrote:
Roflcopters\ dateline='\'1427536717' Wrote:
Krillow\ dateline='\'1427496878' Wrote: I think Asian lions would thrive throughout India.  Their main threat being humans, and crossing into civilization.  I think tigers, and lions can coexist no problem.  Of course occasional conflicts may arrise.  That's the case with every animals though.  Sloth bears, rhinos, elephants, tigers.   Natural conflicts occur. Historically tigers, and lions coexisted in India, the way it should be.  If not for humans, and poaching.  And I do think that tigers, and lions would stay our of each others way for the most part.  Tigers wouldn't pose a risk to relocating the lions, but like with all animals a rare conflict may happen.

Tigers and Lions have never co-existed in the past and nor will they ever in the near future, also if you did your research on Asiatic Lions properly. you'd know that there's no place besides Gir Forest for them in India. Everywhere else is far too close to tiger territories and that is going to be chaotic for not only the conversationists but the species themselves. Ultimately, one cat will greatly suffer. 
*This image is copyright of its original author

some of the Tiger Reserves shown on the Map of India, tell me exactly where the lions would go for relocation. Also, the area north of Corbett is the Terai Arc Landscape with a large population of tigers in the forests. 

I haven't read it anywhere yet, so i'm gonna express my thougts and idea. Not every tiger reserve is blessed with a healty population of tigers, it would make sense, to analyze some of those areas and consider them as a potential relocating place for lions. To become concrete,  i think the best option would be Sariska. Yes, it sounds strange, but after thinking about the pro's and con's, the only points which speaks against this idea are the facts, that it is one of the first tiger reserves (and therefore a matter of "pride") and (of course) political issues. The latter is  anyway a problem which can't be solved quickly (especially now because of Prime M. Modi).
But the tiger - lion conflict, could be avoided in a noble way. Passing Sariska to lions, while in the same time exchanging Kuno completely to tigers would be a fair deal:

- Lions would find a new home, with a healty prey base and a territory big enough to expand (for the beginning) 

- Tigers could start occupiyng Kuno Palpur in bigger numbers (if the population in Ranthambore should top the limit of it's optimum size) and use it frequently as corridor to Ranthambore. With approximately 1200 km² Kuno offers enough space to roam around for dozen's of tigers. Combined with the ca 400 km² of Ranthambore, it really could be a future place for a healthy tiger population. Big places with corridors to expand is something, what tigers obviously need , the Kuno - Ranthambore complex could be one of it in the long run in my opinion.

I mean, tigers were whiped out of Sarisa around 10 years ago, how many are there at the moment after relocation? 4-5? They can be captured and moved to Kuno. Sariska had his chance as tiger reserve, it is doubfull, that it will ever again become a place for a healthy tiger population and the park staff + local government will still be remembered as those, who let the tigers getting poached. If justified or not, is another question. "Sariska Lion's Sanctuary" could bring some new energy, motivation and consistency. It can be called a new chance, therefore.
And "Kuno Tiger Reserve" sounds anway much better [img]images/smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Just my thought's, i know it may sound's weird after the first read, but what do you guys think about it honestly, after the first round of laughing?[img]images/smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Brehm
Sounds good idea!

Sanju Offline
( This post was last modified: 11-16-2018, 08:49 PM by Rishi )

(09-06-2016, 11:43 PM)Ravisingh Wrote:
(09-06-2016, 10:01 PM)Pckts Wrote: If you read through the whole thread you should be able to get some answers to the questions you're asking.

I used to agree with valmik but probably not so much anymore. I have pretty much defended lions in being as adaptable as any big cat. (See the Congo lion thread)

But still, the lack of hunting records or stories of Asiatic lions being hunted compared to tigers from times past beg some questions. 
Why aren't they as documented nor as many individuals measured? 

In regards to tigers of the Sunderbans, let's remove the fact that they live in the largest mangrove system in the world and suffer massive amounts of deforestation, tigers show a much wider variety of size throughout sub species compared to lions which generally don't have such size disparities between subspecies.

simply coz record keeping culture was bought in india by britishers . prior to that there were very almost no such records of animal sizes and appearence were kept by hindu aur mugals. but by the time britishers came to india lions were already very few left and were also killed within some years after british colonisations as they we most easy to find and hunt many in a single day. record of those lions were kept as mentioned by apollo in his reply.then came the tiger and finding it in dense jungles and killing one by one and keeping a long term record . what you call records are of recent history of india that is late mugal and british period when tiger was the only option to track and hunt after quick demise of lions from plains.
                                           in ancient culture of india lion has always dominated tiger
just because they were abundent in open and tiger sighting were rare.
see national emblem of india which has four heads of lions taken from maurya empires king ashoka.

osm.

(09-07-2016, 11:41 PM)Ravisingh Wrote: most difficult thing in lion reintroduction to kunno is the difference between maldari people of gujrat and natives of madhya pardesh.
1. maldaries have sticks to defend them from lions whereas kunno people have firearms (decoit region) to defend against tiger.
2. lions have a nature of coming close to maldaries coz they know these people won't harm them and visa-versa(see documentary: wandering lions of india) whereas people of kunno have rarely see a tiger so both people and tiger fear each other and avoid each other from a long distance.
                                                   so what happens when lions are realesed in kunno ..
they will not fear of people and wander like they do in gir. and people will either poison them for cattle lifting aur lions will be provoked by people due to their
fear and will result in conflict(killing of lions).
                                       keeping last lions of asia with minimum genetic variations in a single forest would definatly result in sudden extinction of lions by some disease.
                                   so only solution is educating every single kunno person about
lion behaviour and how different they are from tigers and showing them how people intrect with lions in gir.

this is already the part of the assigned project and directive of supreme court.

Sanju Offline
( This post was last modified: 11-16-2018, 08:50 PM by Rishi )

(09-06-2016, 10:53 PM)Apollo Wrote: Nice posts @Ravisingh

I like to add few info and points

1) The lion's impact on ancient history, culture and art is significant. The major civlizations from vedic to biblical times originated in lands ruled by lions. If you take vedas and epics like Ramayana, Mahabharatha all were written in Sanskrit. Sanskrit never originated in India. These are written by Aryans who were migrated to India from Europe and Persia. In their culture Lions played an integral part. 

2) Indus valley civilization originated in the North western region of the Indian subcontinent, which is lion country. The Asiatic Lion (Panthera leo persica) roamed over a swathe of Asia, from Turkey in the west to Bihar in the east, and from the Caucusus in the north to the Narmada river in the south. In the Indian subcontinent, the lion lorded over Punjab (Pakistan and India), Sindh, Baluchistan, Haryana, Delhi, Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh, Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Bihar and Jharkhand. This is where aryans settled, ruled and then started conquering other parts of India. These are the areas where sankrit thrived. For these people lions are the King. The lion's impact on South Asian history, culture and art is significant. Mahesh Rangarajan notes in his paper 'From princely symbol to conservation icon: A political history of the lion in India': "It (the lion) was perhaps only rivalled in its power over the human imagination in India by the tiger." Adds Divyabhanusinh Chavda, author of The Story of Asia's Lions: "In the Vedic period, you had Narasimha ("Man-Lion"), the fourth of the Dashavatara of Lord Vishnu. The Buddha was known as 'Shakya Simha', the Lion of the Shakyas. His first sermon at Sarnath has been likened to (and is known as) by Buddhists as 'Simhanada' (Lion Roar). The lion is also the symbol of Mahavira. And we, of course, know of Emperor Ashoka's association with the lion." According to legend, 2,500 years ago, Vijaya, a disinherited Indian prince migrated to the island of Lanka with 700 followers. Vijaya's grandfather was a lion. His descendants, the Sinhala ('Lion people'), are today the majority ethnic group on the island, the flag of which is emblazoned with a lion too. 

3) When these people migrated and started ruling other parts of the Indian sub-continent, they started spreading there culture. From 500 AD, Rajput princes across India started adopting the title Simha instead of the classical Varman. Today, we know this surname as 'Singh', most commonly associated with Rajputs and Sikhs. Lions find constant reference in the Delhi Sultanate and Mughal periods too. Sher Shah Suri, the Afghan warlord from Bihar who dethroned Humayun, reportedly acquired the name 'Sher' after killing a lion with his bare hands. The Mughals, Persianised Turko-Mongols from Central Asia, used the regal Persian Sher-o-Khurshid ('Lion and Sun') as their personal coat-of-arms. 

4) Lions largely inhabited dry, tree-covered Savannah and low-scrub jungle, this is where people settlements were mostly found. Asiatic lions were not a man-eater (in-general), they shared the land with humans in India. Spotting lions is far easy and people respected there strength and the pride style of living. Bengal Tiger which inhabited mature-tree forests, lived in dense forests. These areas are not so suitable for human settlements. The most important thing here is, it is very very hard to spot a tiger, even in these present days most of the villagers in the outskirts of the tiger reserve never seen a tiger. Bengal tigers are notorious man-eaters, people feared them.

Regarding Indian Lion Hunting 

1) Colonel James Skinner (1778 -1841), the famous founder of Skinner's Horse and builder of Delhi's St James' Church, is recorded as shooting lions on horseback. Another officer, Andrew Fraser killed 84 lions 

2) In 1810, a General Mundy shot a lion near Hansi (modern Haryana). In the first half of the 1800s, British soldiers stationed at a cantonment in Deesa (North Gujarat) are recorded as spearing lions. And the all-time record in lion hunting in India goes to George Acland Smith, an officer who shot 300 lions near Delhi in 1857. 

3) Soldiers of Maharaja Ranjit Singh, the Sikh sovereign of the Punjab, are recorded killing lions with bayonets in Lahore in the 1830s. In Patiala, hunting lions was an annual affair in which "400 horsemen beat vast plains teeming with antelope and Nilgai. 

All this killing eventually did its job. Region after region recorded local extinctions: Bahawalpur (1800), Palamau (1814), Haryana, Baroda and Ahmedabad (1830), Sindh (1842) and Gwalior (1872). 

By 1890, when Prince Victor Albert visited India, the only place where he could find lions was the Gir forest in Kathiawar, where politics between three feuding princely states (Junagadh, Bhavnagar and Baroda) and the British Government in Bombay ensured safety for lions. Later, the Nawabs of Junagadh took on the task of preserving lions in Gir, where they survive till today.

great.

(09-07-2016, 10:44 PM)Apollo Wrote:
(09-07-2016, 09:12 PM)brotherbear Wrote:
(09-07-2016, 10:53 AM)Ravisingh Wrote: Tigers can not displace lions from open forests coz they live in pride and lion could not displace tigers coz they are big and dangerous and live in dense forests where lions do not feel comfortable...so it was a natural balance I thing..lions occupied open areas and tigers occupied forested patchs and both avoided each other.

According to pckts at "Primates and Predator Interactions" post #34, lions have no trouble in adapting to a forest environment. This would mean that, except for the open grasslands, lions and tigers might occupy the same terrain.

Lions can adapt to forest environment and tigers can adapt to open grasslands provided if there is a good prey base and no any bigger apex predator (more adapted to that particular environment) to challenge them.
A good example is tigers in present time have adapted and successful in living in the open grasslands of central and northwest India due to the absence of lions.

Ancient India is a much different place, lions entering dense forests will have to face the more adapted and bigger tigers. Tigers entering open grasslands will have to face the more adapted pride of lions.
So the more logical decision is to avoid such confrontations.

This guy is osm. very realistic and factual.

Sanju Offline
( This post was last modified: 11-18-2018, 01:17 PM by Rishi )

(01-29-2017, 11:04 AM)Wolverine Wrote:
(01-21-2017, 10:11 AM)Bronco Wrote: No matter what you do this entire Asiatic lion reintroduction thing is just beating a dead horse.

I suggest the only option left is Government of Madhya Pradesh to send special forces under cover with secret mission to catch and still night time a dozen of Gir lions from those idiots and bring them in MP.... I am not sure is this a joke or not... Actually such kind of secret mission probably will not violate federal laws, the government of Gujarat is the one violating federal laws by not following the verdict of Indian Supreme Court.

lol, yes that's what i too sometimes think. lol.

(01-30-2017, 08:59 AM)Wolverine Wrote:
(01-29-2017, 09:18 PM)Rishi Wrote: Although old news, this seems to be the best option right now..

Lions not in, Madhya Pradesh moves to populate Kuno with tigers
BHOPAL Updated: Feb 25, 2016 19:02 IST

Neeraj Santoshi 
Hindustan Times

Javadekar said the entire programme of translocating Gir lions to MP will take 25 years to complete.(File photo)

The Madhya Pradesh government is considering introducing tigers in the Kuno-Palpur wildlife sanctuary instead of waiting for the Gujarat government to translocate lions, says a note on the website of the state forest department.
The note in the sub-link titled “Special Conservation Initiatives” said: “If the stalemate is not resolved expeditiously, the state (government) may have to consider introducing tigers in the sanctuary as wasting such a prime a habitat is not in the interest of conservation of wildlife in the state…”.
“The government of Madhya Pradesh is very keen to have the lions at the earliest as the state has done everything expected from it, including the relocation of 1,545 poor families, to help conserve this national heritage…”, the note said.
In December last year, the union ministry of forest and environment cleared its stand on the state’s demand to translocate lions from the Gir National Park in Gujarat to the Kuno-Palpur Wildlife Sanctuary.
In a written reply in the Lok Sabha, Union forest and environment minister Prakash Javadekar said translocation of lions from Gujarat to Madhya Pradesh was a “long-term action” and will take more than 25 years.
The note points out that though the state government has asked the Centre to transfer a pride of lions from Gujarat at the earliest, “the government of Gujarat is somehow not inclined to provide the animals for starting the lion population in Kuno and the Centre is now seriously considering the option of using zoo bred animals of certified Asiatic lineage to start the new lion population…”
Narendra Kumar, principal chief conservator of forests, said the suggestion to introduce tigers in Kuno-Palpur came from the National Tiger Conservation Authority after a team visited the sanctuary to study prey base.
On the Centre’s argument that the re-introduction project will take 25 years, Kumar said: “We can’t wait for such a long time. The habitat has been readied for a carnivore and we will have to do something there. However, the government is yet to discuss about the NTCA suggestion.”

The purpose of lion translocation was to create independent populations & that can be served without taking them out of the state..for the time being.

The state of Gujrat has multiple sites like Kutchh, forests of Aravalli foothills & Narmada Basin, Wastelands West of Bhuj etc. that can (probably did) house lions & should be favoured over far-off/ controversial Kuno.

"The Madhya Pradesh government is considering introducing tigers in the Kuno-Palpur wildlife sanctuary instead of waiting for the Gujarat government to translocate lions"
- that would be a grave mistake and fulfilment of  all dreams of Gujaratis, that's what they exactly want and wish to happen.

“The government of Madhya Pradesh has done everything expected from it, including the relocation of 1,545 poor families, to help conserve this national heritage…”
- 1545 families probably mean around 10 to 15 thousand people whish is a huge effort. For comparison government of Gujarat is incapable to
relocate even a 2500 people from Gir forest... They talk about "success and merit in lion conservation" but their "success" is based only to the fact that lions and their derivates thanks of God are not used in Chinese medicine and Chinese pharmacy and as a result poaching pressure on lion is insignificant with comparison to tiger poaching.

I have to confess that despite of my great love to India and her great people I start to fill some form of "Gujarato-phobia" and probably same is happening with many lion lovers through the world.

Me too already started developed "goojarato-phobia" but once used to admire. lol. watch amitabh bachchan ads and commercials about gujarat tourism. you will be flattened.

(12-07-2017, 08:31 AM)Wolverine Wrote:
(12-07-2017, 07:21 AM)epaiva Wrote: Kuno would be the only part in the world where you can find Lions and Tigers.

Absolutely. Kuno potentially could become the most interesting wildlife place in the planet, it could even overshadow Serengeti and Yellowstown. If Indians are enough wise they should understand this, even big Indian tourist business should join this idea. If first lions are introduced there and than a few tigers allowed to join from the north I am sure that all big international nature TV channels - Discovery, National Geographic, Animal planet etc will go to Kuno. Its a unique economic opportunity for India.

thats what gujj, namo govt and his gang fear.

(12-07-2017, 09:41 AM)Wolverine Wrote:
(12-07-2017, 09:15 AM)Rishi Wrote: @Wolverine I on the other hand think it's a pretty sensible solution. A lot of money has gone into the resettlement of villagers & developing prey base.
Lack of predators for long, might cause serious problem now.

Introducing tigresses would mean that the Ranthambore spillover tigers that visit Kuno-Palpur would settle down there & in time their progeny would heal Ranthambore's genetic depression. It is a 5000km² landscape, with lots of potential..

Madhya Pradesh was contemplating rewilding zoo-bred lions anyway. Apparently Gujarat was planning to get rid of it worst inbred specimens with genetic deformities, by giving them to MP...
(I'm very happy with how long it took me to find a genetically deformed lion)

I disagree my friend. Saving of entire subspecie - Asiatic lion or Panthera leo persica is much more important task for science than helping to improve the gene pool of smallish Ranthambor tiger population (the genes of Ranthambore tigers could be freshed artificially also by importing there a tigers from other parks). Tiger is my favourite animal, but I think there are plenty of places all over of India where tigers could live, but there is only one potential new good habitat for Asiatic lions and that's Kuno wildlife sanctuary. It should be not lost. Basically you accept the position of Gijarati nationalists, their dream is tigers to colonise entire Kuno, I think some of them even plot secretly to throw a couple of tigers in Kuno and hence to destroy all Asiatic Lion reintroduction project.

You got the purpose right.

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(11-16-2018, 10:54 PM)Sanju Wrote:
(01-29-2017, 11:04 AM)Wolverine Wrote:
(01-21-2017, 10:11 AM)Bronco Wrote: No matter what you do this entire Asiatic lion reintroduction thing is just beating a dead horse.

I suggest the only option left is Government of Madhya Pradesh to send special forces under cover with secret mission to catch and still night time a dozen of Gir lions from those idiots and bring them in MP.... I am not sure is this a joke or not... Actually such kind of secret mission probably will not violate federal laws, the government of Gujarat is the one violating federal laws by not following the verdict of Indian Supreme Court.

lol, yes that's what i too sometimes think. lol.

They should negotiate to get lions from Africa if too difficult from another state in India... odd situations time to time.
1 user Likes Shadow's post

Sanju Offline
( This post was last modified: 11-17-2018, 07:31 PM by Rishi )

Ok. So far I read from #1 to #357 the last post(even it is of mine Confused ) a few hours yesterday night and a couple hours today to catch up with all you guys. I've observed some discussions, a lot of disputes/arguments, some irrelevant or out of topic. Anyway, Thanks @Rishi for this forum suggestion in Quora. I ignored it then but since a few days, I got to know about this. Found it worth to discuss here. I gained some little info too in this thread Happy . In late 2017 I got to know about this relocation project and lion conservation and from then, I acknowledged almost every inch related and about this almost 98.9%. From now, my contribution will be to this thread too. :)

Sanju Offline
( This post was last modified: 11-24-2018, 09:23 PM by Sanju )

Here’s Why Gir Lions May Never Leave Gujarat for MP

Gujarat is the only home for Asiatic lions on the planet, and they are all concentrated in and around the Gir range. Conservation efforts in the state have helped the lion population recover from the brink of extinction to over 600 lions in 2017.
Yet, there is a risk of deadly diseases and unnatural deaths because a significant number of lions live outside the protected area of Gir. For conservationists, translocation of lions is the one stop solution to ensure that the feline population grows across the country.
However, the Gujarat government is in no mood to share its lions with any other state. In April 2013, the Supreme Court ordered Gujarat to move some lions to Kuno Palpur Sanctuary in Madhya Pradesh within six months.
Five years have passed since the SC passed the order and not a single lion has been moved to Madhya Pradesh. Instead, the state government plans to spend Rs 351 crore on the latest drone and CCTV cameras, hospitals, etc for its conservation efforts.
The Quint explains why the Gujarat government is unwilling to part ways with its lions in the name of ‘Gujarati Asmita’ or Gujarati Pride.
https://www.thequint.com/news/india/gir-...of-sc-rule

Are Asiatic Lions Paying the Price for Gujarati Asmita?
Gujarat government calls Asiatic lions ‘The pride of Gujarat’, but is not willing to share its ‘pride’ with other states. In April 2013, the Supreme Court had directed the Gujarat government to translocate some lions to Madhya Pradesh’s Kuno-Palpur wildlife sanctuary within six months.
Five years have passed since the apex court’s ruling, and the Gujarat government has brazenly violated the order. It is no secret that the Gir range is overpopulated with lions, and the big cat pays a heavy price. Last week 11 lion carcasses were found in Dalkhaniya and Jashadhar of the Gir Wildlife Sanctuary, followed by the death of two more lions on Monday.
https://www.thequint.com/news/india/lion...anslocated

Sanju Offline
( This post was last modified: 11-25-2018, 09:30 AM by Sanju )

Disclaimer: Don't dare to read if you don't have time(lol). Read the total post and check out each and every link before saying something. Thank You.
Govt Claims Infighting Resulted in Lion Deaths

The state government has claimed that three lion cubs were killed by a male lion to establish dominance, while two lionesses and an adult lion died from respiratory and hepatic (relating to the liver) failure. The post-mortem reports of five other lions, including two cubs and one lioness, are yet to come in.
A team comprising top officials and experts from the National Tiger Conservation Authority (NTCA) and Dehradun-based Wildlife Institute of India (WII) is probing the death. In their preliminary report, they have claimed that the cause of death was infighting, and infection caused by resultant injuries.
An Asiatic lion rests in Gir forest. (Photo: Reuters)

The forest department claims that the death of the lion cub on Monday was natural as 70 percent of lion cubs fail to reach adulthood. According to the department around 100 lions die annually, with the death rate peaking during monsoon – an average of 31 to 32 lions die during the three months of monsoon. Floods due to heavy rains killed and washed away lots of lions a few years back and recently epidemic (CDV, babesiosis, PPR.. etc..,)disasters occurring.

‘Lions Don’t Kill Lionesses’
Additional Chief Secretary (Forest) Rajiv Gupta told reporters that the Central team had concluded that the deaths were not due to ‘unnatural’ causes, such as intentional poisoning by humans.
However, a local wildlife activist under the condition of anonymity said, “Ideally the SC order should be adhered to ensure that the lion population thrives in multiple locations. However, the government is showing zero keenness to move lions and its negative impact can be seen on the ground. Right now, poisoning of lions cannot be ruled out until the post-mortem report throws light on the real picture.”
Gir Lion resting in the shade. (Photo Courtesy: Wikimedia)

“One thing is for sure, infighting couldn’t have been the reason for the deaths of the lionesses. Infighting is a territorial phenomenon where lions fight among themselves or kill the cubs of the lioness so that the latter submits to them for mating. There is no reason why they will kill the lioness for the sake of territory.”
    Local Wildlife Activist

Gir is Saturated
Gujarat is home to 523 lions according to the 2015 census (109 male, 201 female, 73 sub-adults and 140 cubs). Wildlife experts predict that the numbers could well be exceeding over 600 in 2018.
At least 45-50 percent of these lions move outside the protected areas and are often seen crossing highways and railway lines which results in unnatural deaths.

The birth of eleven lion cubs in the Gir Sanctuary had created quite a stir on social media. (Courtesy: AP screengrab)
Former Principal Chief Conservator of Forests in Gujarat and present member of the National Board for Wildlife, HS Singh spoke to The Quint at length about the various factors that could have led to the recent lion deaths.
“First of all, Gir is saturated. There are over 600 lions in Gujarat and the Gir can hold around 300 to 330. The remaining have ventured out of the protected areas all the way to the coast. This puts them in direct contact with all sorts of domesticated animals which can result in infections and diseases.”

“Easiest way to get infected is through dogs. Lions prey on stray dogs and get infected by ticks. If the dogs are rabid then it is a death sentence for the lion. This has happened many times before as well, even the British era back in 1931, lions and leopards were dying in huge numbers because they feasted on rabid dogs.”
    HS Singh, Former Principal Chief Conservator of Forests in Gujarat and present member of the National Board for Wildlife

Translocation Remains on the Back-Burner
Wildlife experts vouch for translocation to ensure that the lion population does not breach the protected zone, thereby protecting it from epidemics, large forest fires and human interaction.

In fact, talks on translocation started way back in 1993-94; in 2006, a lawsuit was filed in the Supreme Court demanding reasons for the delay in translocation. On 15 April 2013, the SC ordered the Gujarat government to translocate lions within six months to Madhya Pradesh’s Kuno-Palpur Wildlife Sanctuary.

Ajay Shankar Dubey, who is a wildlife activist based in Madhya Pradesh, filed a contempt petition in the SC in 2014 after Gujarat failed to comply with the SC order. The case was first heard in November 2017 and in March 2018 the SC discharged the plea after the Union government gave assurances that a Standing Committee will be formed, and translocation will be expedited soon.

“The standing committee met just once in March 2018 and since then no meetings were held. We will approach the SC once again next week as the Gujarat government is hiding behind a pile of excuses. These lion deaths make our case stronger because overpopulation of lions can lead to viral infections and epidemics.”
    Ajay Shankar Dubey, wildlife activist

MP Increases Area of Kuno-Palpur Sanctuary
The Madhya Pradesh government was asked to increase the land area of the sanctuary to accommodate lions from Gir, which it did.

“We have de-notified two wildlife sanctuaries and increased the size of Kuno-Palpur from 350 Sq Km to over 700 Sq Km [Kuno Palpur National Park (412 km2 core and surrounding 540 odd km2 buffer NP in 1200 km2 Kuno Sanctuary increased from 900 km2), (Kuno Wildlife Division converted to Kuno Sanctuary entirely-1200 odd km2) (Kuno Landscape is of 3300 km2-3500 km2 and the surrounding forested landscape around 1200 km2 sanctuary is 2300 km2 nearly will act as a buffer for lion populations after decades) and some other 2 protected areas/sanctuaries surrounding were demarcated and denotified added Kuno to increase even more]. This was a requirement raised by the expert committee formed by the Union Government for trans-locating lions from Gir to Kuno.”
    Alok Kumar, Additional Principal Chief Conservator of Forest (APCCF) of the Madhya Pradesh Forest Department

“The Madhya Pradesh government has met with all the stipulations. Yet the Gujarat government is unnecessarily delaying the translocation process citing International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) guidelines. Those guidelines have already been reviewed under the Supreme Court order,” Dubey added.
There is still no word from the Gujarat government about translocating lions to MP as it frantically tries to save face. The Quint tried to reach the state forest minister Ganpat Vasava on the phone multiple times, but he has not responded yet.

https://www.thequint.com/news/india/lion...anslocated
‘Barda Dungar within reach of outbreak’
The state government feels that a new home for Asiatic Lion outside gir limits- Barda Dungar in Porbandar district-80 km may help to save them. But male lions travel vast distances. A male lion finds very easy to reach gir overnight and this is not the solution for inbreeding. There is no difference if Lions stay in gir or gir plus Barda whether it is one thousand or one lakh kilometre square area it is just nothing but range extension which is not the solution now. The translocation aim is to stop inbreeding and make a separate gene pool which needed to completely break off the connection with the gir but the Barda region is in greater gir just 80-75 km away. It is still a basket for eggs no matter how big it is. There is a need of creating another basket whether in Rajasthan or Madhya Pradesh within Kathiwar deciduous ecoregion. One of the world's leading lion conservation experts, Dr Craig Packer has cautioned that the Barda Dungar will be 'within reach of outbreak’.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/artic...aign=cppst
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city...209321.cms
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/artic...aign=cppst

https://www.thequint.com/news/india/guja...ion-deaths
https://www.thequint.com/videos/pride-of...iven-trial
https://www.thequint.com/news/india/guja...ll-corners
https://www.thequint.com/news/india/lion...ujarat-gir

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nywfZH1x...ture=share
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZzASSxA...ture=share
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKmkpAy3...ture=share

https://www.cinestaan.com/articles/2018/...430XukvHk0

https://mumbaimirror.indiatimes.com/news...vqS_yObWPk

https://ahmedabadmirror.indiatimes.com/a...lr-8NvZ6T0

https://www.change.org/p/indian-governme...r2G7NMYip8
http://thehitavada.com/Encyc/2018/8/28/K...sq-km.aspx

Wildlife authorities in MP sound helpless. "Lion translocation is a central project. WE HAVE UPGRADED KUNO FROM A SANCTUARY TO A NATIONAL PARK. It is up to the MoEF to get the lions from Gujarat," says chief wildlife warden, MP, Shahbaz Ahmed.

https://www.indiatoday.in/magazine/natio...Gr1Ne5gE5A

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city...Eq0L0u--go

https://www.deccanherald.com/national/ic...FrTmpZkhwQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oymrqS_A...tOfWWsfv-A

https://m.timesofindia.com/city/ahmedaba...5U3PILA1ug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxSuBAPQ...ture=share
http://wolfeducationinternational.com/wp...singh..pdf

Canada Wolverine Away

(11-27-2018, 05:19 PM)Rishi Wrote:  

Better to first break their monopoly by rewilding zoo lions (hundreds to choose from outside Gujarat) 

Why in your opinion MP authorities are still reluctant in rewilding a zoo lions? For now I cant see any serious steps and plans in this direction.
1 user Likes Wolverine's post

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 11-28-2018, 11:36 AM by Rishi )

@Wolverine MP once said they don't want Gujarat's lion & Indore zoo volunteered to provide lions (links are to older posts regarding them).
Then Ajay Dubey filed the petition & they decided to give it another try. Otherwise they'll have the option of choosing the best specimens of captive stock from zoos all over India!

Also once it's started, zoo tigers can be rewilded too... bringing back diverse genes that are now lost from the wild population.
2 users Like Rishi's post

Canada Wolverine Away

So if plan A doesn't work obviously is time to be put in action plan B (captive lions).
2 users Like Wolverine's post

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 11-28-2018, 12:29 PM by Rishi )

(11-28-2018, 09:57 AM)Wolverine Wrote: So if plan A doesn't work obviously is time to be put in action plan B (captive lions).

They almost made the decision twice, once in 2014 & recently in mid-2017.

"Plan B" might become reality this time... MP has the required expertise & infrastructure if it comes to that.
2 users Like Rishi's post

Sanju Offline

(11-28-2018, 07:12 AM)Wolverine Wrote:
(11-27-2018, 05:19 PM)Rishi Wrote:  

Better to first break their monopoly by rewilding zoo lions (hundreds to choose from outside Gujarat) 

Why in your opinion MP authorities are still reluctant in rewilding a zoo lions? For now I cant see any serious steps and plans in this direction.

@Wolverine Yes, along with the reason rishi addressed that they are on the hope of wild lions from Gir which Ajay petitioned, they also being opposed/criticised by some people (may agents from Gujarat, lol kidding) by taking this as example that is relocated 2 lions i.e.., Lioness Laxmi and lion Vishnu, brought from Hyderabad zoo in 2013, died the following year, their death attributed to CDV in etawah safari Park of UP.
https://indianexpress.com/article/india/...e-2979775/
When there is positive, there is a negative, in the same way, light-dark, god-devil(just example) and finally, good-bad. The reintroduction of zoo lions (zoos are built for this purpose, ex-situ conservation and rescue of species in emergency purposes of extinction by reintroducing them not commercial purpose) to Mp's wild helps in conservation of species. In that need of the hour case, Mp should neglect the negative people who are opposing this as there will be some people who always oppose good.
If that happens, then the situation reverses after a certain time in which Gujarat begs/urges for the lions from MP in order to save its lions as Gir lions survival will be at risk due to inbreeding, also, a massive damage to Gujarat lion tourism occurs, as better wild breed lion subspecies will be available in coexistence with tiger exclusively in the world, will exist. Gujarat also begs to give some tigers also (if they don't occupy dangs forest till then). In that for the survival of two population in Gir and mp, both will mutually exchange for the viability of both of them, craze and pressure for money on Gir lions by the Gujarat govt decreases and it will be checkmate for Gujarat's arrogance, greed and monopoly too. let's hope for the best to nature in the future.
MP then will also give lions to Rajasthan.

Sanju Offline
( This post was last modified: 12-01-2018, 03:30 PM by Rishi )

A good video:-
Here’s Why Gir Lions May Never Leave For MP | The Quint

2 users Like Sanju's post