There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 6 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Asiatic Lion - Data, Pictures & Videos

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

@Lycaon :

About #1158: really a very beautiful photo ! Are they 3 or 4 lions involved ? I confess not to distinguish them very well...

Oman Lycaon Offline
أسد الأطلس
Moderators

@Spalea 

I believe three .

Wildanimal Lover

@Lycaon :

About #1159: three OK ! It's amazing to state that  the hindlimb we see at the background belongs to the lion with the open mouth. It must be badly bitten because its body seems almost to be in one end position (very stretched body and neck a bit bent).
2 users Like Spalea's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(07-03-2019, 04:14 PM)Spalea Wrote: @Lycaon :

About #1159: three OK ! It's amazing to state that  the hindlimb we see at the background belongs to the lion with the open mouth. It must be badly bitten because its body seems almost to be in one end position (very stretched body and  neck a bit bent).

I don´t know about badly bitten. Just in the heat of action. If we would take still photos from many fights, we could see animals in very odd positions and afterwards just fine :) But three lions there, that is very clear when looking that photo.

Wildanimal Lover

(07-03-2019, 07:09 PM)Shadow Wrote:

About #1159: three OK ! It's amazing to state that  the hindlimb we see at the background belongs to the lion with the open mouth. It must be badly bitten because its body seems almost to be in one end position (very stretched body and  neck a bit bent).

I don´t know about badly bitten. Just in the heat of action. If we would take still photos from many fights, we could see animals in very odd positions and afterwards just fine :) But three lions there, that is very clear when looking that photo.

*This image is copyright of its original author

I just try to guess the two lions' body position without taking account the third one. I accentuated the belly bold that seems to be very streched on the photo (clearly more than in my sketch). I think that this lion is bitten near the shoulder or enough close to the shoulder on the forelimb. And perhaps the lion that bites it is pulling its head backward. Painful position ! But perhaps not a "one end position", you're right... But painful at least. Of course the lions have some good recovery ressources.
3 users Like Spalea's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(07-03-2019, 07:38 PM)Spalea Wrote:

I just try to guess the two lions' body position without taking account the third one. I accentuated the belly bold that seems to be very streched on the photo (clearly more than in my sketch). I think that this lion is bitten near the shoulder or enough close to the shoulder on the forelimb. And perhaps the lion that bites it is pulling its head backward. Painful position ! But perhaps not a "one end position", you're right... But painful at least. Of course the lions have some good recovery ressources.

For me it looks like it is dodging bite attemp of that other lion, not bitten at that moment and because of dodging it has bent head backwards. I don´t see any biting there really. Difficult to say how that left hind leg is because so much dust. It could be even in the air too. Very difficult to know, but it is what it is, when both animals are in quick move :)

Wildanimal Lover

(07-03-2019, 07:44 PM)Shadow Wrote:

For me it looks like it is dodging bite attemp of that other lion, not bitten at that moment and because of dodging it has bent head backwards. I don´t see any biting there really. Difficult to say how that left hind leg is because so much dust. It could be even in the air too. Very difficult to know, but it is what it is, when both animals are in quick move :)
I think this lion is clearly bitten because I don't see any other reason to see it open mouth like that, the head up and the neck I guess a littl bent. Open mouth because of the pain. Of course I can be wrong.
1 user Likes Spalea's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(07-03-2019, 07:52 PM)Spalea Wrote:
(07-03-2019, 07:44 PM)Shadow Wrote:

I think this lion is clearly bitten because I don't see any other reason to see it open mouth like that, the head up and the neck I guess a littl bent. Open mouth because of the pain. Of course I can be wrong.

That is possible, for me it looks like dodging, but without some video or more photos your guess is as good as mine, I think :) Intense situation, pity that only one photo available (?).
1 user Likes Shadow's post

Oman Lycaon Offline
أسد الأطلس
Moderators

The Gir Lion Gajkessari

Young male with sambar fawn 

5 users Like Lycaon's post

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 07-09-2019, 09:16 PM by Rishi )

@aamir__khatri

Nagraj & Bado.

The massive Hoth Tutlo.

Others.

6 users Like Rishi's post

Oman Lycaon Offline
أسد الأطلس
Moderators

Vinayaka Photography

7 users Like Lycaon's post

Oman Lycaon Offline
أسد الأطلس
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 07-15-2019, 04:38 PM by Lycaon )

Kano Jetpur

The Lion King ?- Gir - Monsoon

Rahul Sachdev great photo

5 users Like Lycaon's post

Oman Lycaon Offline
أسد الأطلس
Moderators

Ashish Teraiya

A pair of lions at the port of pipavav

6 users Like Lycaon's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

For me, Gujarat Govt conservation of Asiatic lion is no less than joke. The lions are loosing their wild and killer instinct and instead behaving much like domestic animals

Watch this video, people are passing very close and even one of them is taking photos just walking by barefoot. Try this with African lion, you would have dead.

4 users Like sanjay's post

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 07-17-2019, 10:41 AM by Rishi )

(07-17-2019, 06:50 AM)sanjay Wrote: Watch this video, people are passing very close and even one of them is taking photos just walking by barefoot. Try this with African lion, you would have dead.

Not necessarily:
https://wildfact.com/forum/topic-man-ani...1#pid83041
https://wildfact.com/forum/topic-man-ani...3#pid84583

These are obviously grown too accustomed to human presence & should better be shifted to nearby patches of natural habitat.
But the so-called "inherent fear of man in animals" may not be that natural after all. Be it gaurs or gorillas it goes away really quickly the moment conflict with people drops.
2 users Like Rishi's post