There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 6 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Asiatic Lion - Data, Pictures & Videos

Sri Lanka Apollo Away
Bigcat Enthusiast

I dont see an english version, but awesome video.

4 users Like Apollo's post

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 08-07-2018, 04:06 PM by Rishi )

(04-21-2017, 07:05 AM)Apollo Wrote: I dont see an english version, but awesome video.

It's the famous documentary "India's Wandering Lions".
Here's the YouTube link for english version...

PS: It's a new upload & was removed earlier..I'd advise downloading or atleast offline saving.
7 users Like Rishi's post

Canada Wolverine Away

Wonderful pics, thank you very much Rishi! You should feel proud to be an Indian.
As Martin Luther King I have a dream - one day this mighty royal beasts to roam again across huge arias of Asia - India, Persia, Balkans, Turkey, wherever humans allow them. Peoples should have again a chance to hear magnificent thunder storm like roar of these beasts - the most impressive sound of wild nature...
For me Asiatic lions are even more interesting than African because they lived in the territory of ancient civilisations, their roar was mixed with the whisper of ancient legends and mysteries of Asia...
8 users Like Wolverine's post

United States Garfield Offline
Banned

Those Asiatic lions are amazing, they do look really strong and healthy, I didn't know this, I thought they were more frail and thinner than the African lions, that's pretty rockin, fad pics, great post!!
2 users Like Garfield's post

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 12-02-2018, 09:22 PM by Rishi )

Altough with rise in numbers & thus, competition we se more of bigger individuals..they still were around earlier.

During the '60s, a famous photo made it to Indian postal stamps...

*This image is copyright of its original author

However the amount of MODERN & SCIENTIFIC data available is next to nil.

Lately, a lot of young tiger's weights have been made available during recent collarings & rescuings & treatments. Apparently some the lions have been collared too
Here's a pic. of Y.V.Jhala collaring one...

..then there's this guy...

So does anybody have any info, if some new weight have been made available or not..??
@sanjay @Pckts @peter @Ngala @Apollo @Kingtheropod @GrizzlyClaws @Spalea @epaiva @chaos @GuateGojira @Tshokwane @Roflcopters

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
( This post was last modified: 04-22-2017, 02:01 PM by sanjay )

Nothing, I have some friends on FB who closely follow the Gir Lions but they never reported me. Lets wait
3 users Like sanjay's post

Jimmy Offline

Wow, Nice to see these magnificient robust individuals within asiatic lions....and it's more assuring to see that with numbers and competition constantly growing, we get prime specimens such as these. One thing that i take similar to this is the case of wild water buffaloes in Nepal numbering 400+ individuals but produced from mere 60 surviving individuals and they look very much below par. But after seeing these asiatic Lions, the survival of the fittest rule seems to work even with low genetic variation, a great hope for the future and TFS.
5 users Like Jimmy's post

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators

(04-22-2017, 02:01 PM)sanjay Wrote: Nothing, I have some friends on FB who closely follow the Gir Lions but they never reported me. Lets wait

@sanjay

Hope they send very good information soon.
2 users Like epaiva's post

Banned

I just had no idea the Asiatic's could look like that, perhaps they are smaller than the Africans overall but as strong or maybe even stronger in other ways, very interesting pictures and educational to say the least. 

I'm impressed with many of the pics, I mean this lion right here looks like his arm is made out of iron.  The heads and skulls almost look stronger than Africans, maybe not bigger but they seem higher at the forehead area or something.

7 users Like Garfield's post

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 04-20-2018, 03:56 PM by Rishi )

11yo. 178 kg (Weighted at the age of 7).

Here's an old post that can be considered as a standard for comparison, a lion from some European zoo.
Ignoring his "Anti snow mane" growth, one can estimate this more-or-less average specimen to be ROUGHLY similar in size & weight to this one...

I have compared the head, forearms, hindquarters, tail thickness & chest girth (marked the muscular convulsions obscured by posture & lighting differences).
3 users Like Rishi's post

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 09-29-2018, 11:43 AM by Rishi )

An exceptionally large lioness..

Male who i think could weigh ~200kg..

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 08-16-2017, 08:33 PM by Rishi )

2013:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/home/environment/flora-fauna/100-lion-cubs-turn-Gir-into-a-roaring-success/articleshow/23842796.cms

http://m.ndtv.com/india-news/more-asiatic-lion-cubs-sighted-in-gir-sanctuary-in-gujarat-1232491

Seems like at any point of time, the Gir harbours atleast a hundred lionlings.
If 100 more new cubs were spotted AFTER May2015 census, that means by the upcoming one due at distant 2019, then comparing with previous increments..we are expecting the new numbers to be as high as 650+!!!!!!!!!!  Laughing

But then...
1500 sq.kms of Protected Area presently houses 300+ lions. Rest are unevenly spreaded over this range.

However, already lions' transfer to Barda Wildlife Sanctuary is under full swing & Rampura Wildlife Sanctuary was being evaluated as the next one..no updates yet.

Greater Gir consists of some forested hillocks..but mosly barren wastelands & fallow farmlands.
3 users Like Rishi's post

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 04-28-2017, 07:04 PM by Rishi )

There is an (apparently) incorrect notion entertaind by many, that the Indus Valley Civilisation of yore doesn't show any record Asiatic Lions.

Intrigued, i decided to do a simplest Google Search: "Indus Valley lion" & these came up...
(Lion head 1st millenium BC, 1.5inches)

(A bad image of Button-seal from Mehrgarh site near Quetta, Balochistan, Pakistan)

(Vase)

(Cutlery)

(Casket)

(Golden Goblet)

(Pottery)

(Vessel)

Just absent from the business seals.
Could have been reserved for ROYALTY/MILITARY (thus low in number & prone to destruction) or even a mere superstition...
6 users Like Rishi's post

Banned

Wow, that's incredible, not only are their numbers increasing now,  but they were historically all over the place in India.  Great post and info!!
3 users Like Garfield's post

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 12-07-2019, 02:16 PM by Rishi )

Everybody knows that Asiatic Lions show a lot of tolerance towards humans, here's an example of, how much...

..& more often than not tend to conclude that it's the lions that are mellow, denying the Gujrati people of their due credit.

That unfair to these following acts of tolerance & respect by people, unparalleled in the history of conservation, or more likely, the WORLD.

Whilst they retain their intraspecific hostilities (A bit too much, i'd say, i've never seen an Asiatic without a scar-adorned face)...

...& after more than 100 years of peaceful coexitance they don't consider humans to be a threat.
This is the maximum amount of tension encountered in a case of close conflict...

In the better protected areas African Lions display similar behaviour as well...

However, in circumstances where some have resorted to man-eating, their behaviour changes drastically.
Cautious, more wary of humans, display of aggression...

...Just like the poor sods who are regularly "harvested" in Africa by the "conservationists" witn guns.

5 users Like Rishi's post