There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 6 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Asiatic Lion - Data, Pictures & Videos

BorneanTiger Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 06-08-2020, 10:30 PM by BorneanTiger )

(06-08-2020, 12:52 PM)Ingonyama6 Wrote: My Tribute To The Great Indian Lion. I will post about lions in the middle east very soon

*This image is copyright of its original author

I have made a separate thread for that, because this one is pretty clogged: https://wildfact.com/forum/topic-asiatic...#pid118885
3 users Like BorneanTiger's post

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

An Asiatic male lion... Wha else ?

3 users Like Spalea's post

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 06-09-2020, 06:37 AM by Rishi )

Instead of round saucers & rectangular troughs, they decided to make a more multifaceted shape.

3 users Like Rishi's post

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 06-10-2020, 09:09 PM by Rishi )

1. Population of the Asiatic Lion, living in Gujarat’s Greater Gir landscape, is up by atleast 30%.
  2. Geographically, distribution area is up by atleast 35%.

The department carried out a population estimation exercise on the night of June 5 & 6 this year when there was full moon. The exercise was undertaken as the five yearly census could not be carried out in May due to the coronavirus outbreak and lockdown. Earlier the Gujarat FD clarified that this was meant to be more of a population health observation than a proper census

This 1st of its kind lite version of Lion Census, was called  "Poonam Avlokan" or full-moon night estimation exercise. The lion territory in Saurashtra has registered an increase of from 22,500 km² in last census of 2015 to more than 30,000 km² now... Of that an area of ±13,000 km² around Gir form the core lion kingdom, where they are regularly sighted.

The officially released figure is of atleast 675 confirmed individuals (161 males, 260 females, 116 sub-adult lions & 137 cubs). The latest figure however, does not include many animals like lionesses with cubs who usually go into hiding, due to the scale & haste. Each beat guard will have to cover an area of about 100 sq.km, which is a huge challenge.
Maximum limit could be as high as 750.

Junagadh range Chief Conservator of Forest D T Vasavada had said that the estimation exercise was not a complete census.
"Lion census is carried out every five years in an extensive manner. Large number of central and state government officials, wildlife lovers, NGOs and members of National Board of Wildlife are involved in it. But due to lockdown we cannot call them now and a full-fledged census cannot be carried out."
He couldn't provide any confirmation on wheather more extensive census will be carried out later on.

Official report attached;

.pdf   292_1_0000.pdf (Size: 521.33 KB / Downloads: 2)
4 users Like Rishi's post

United Kingdom Ingonyama6 Offline
( This post was last modified: 06-11-2020, 11:28 AM by Rishi )

The Indian lion went extinct because it was shot more easily than tigers. 

"They seem to have been more easily shot than tigers, as they returned more boldly to their " kills," thus becoming an easy prey to the Bhil Shikari who sat up for them."

https://archive.org/details/b2491051x/page/n259/mode/2up

The Indian lion during the 18 and 1900s experienced serious pressure from hunters. Some cases, just one man killed more than 100 lions. Here are some of those records

A man called George Acland Smith killed 300 lions. Three hundred lions killed by just one man, only one.

https://books.google.it/books?id=FvvtCAAAQBAJ&pg=PA365&dq=#v=onepage&q&f=false

Indian ruler, Rao Raja Bishan Singh "had slain upwards of one hundred lions with his own hand". 

https://books.google.it/books?id=ckgOAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA464&dq=#v=onepage&q&f=false

British Lieutenant, Sir Andrew Henderson Leith Fraser shot 84 lions during his time in India

https://books.google.it/books?id=J0rME6RjC1sC&pg=PA47&lpg=PA47&dq=#v=onepage&q&f=false

A British cavalry officer killed 80 lions

https://archive.org/stream/cu31924005747377#page/n193/mode/2up

When only four men could kill 564 lions by themselves, it does not seem that the Asian lion was a rare animal. Due to this extreme hunting pressure, the lion almost went extinct. Thankfully the Gujarati government has saved them and their numbers are now growing rapidly.
2 users Like Ingonyama6's post

( This post was last modified: 06-11-2020, 12:19 AM by Ingonyama6 )

Lioness kills a sambar

2 users Like Ingonyama6's post

Wildanimal Lover

Sandeep Parmar: " Gir at a glance✨? The growth in the population of Asiatic lions is indeed one of the fewer good news of 2020. The credit goes to the FD and locals of Gir region for the meticulous efforts for conservation of the endangered Asiatic Lions! "

Wildanimal Lover

Sandeep Parmar: " Two very good news:
Population of the majestic Asiatic Lion, living in Gujarat’s Gir Forest, is up by almost 29%. Geographically, distribution area is up by 36%. Total count : 674 Lions (Including male, female, sub-adults and cubs)"

Virgin Islands, U.S. Rage2277 Offline
animal enthusiast

interesting..this literally sounds like a little kid wrote it @Ingonyama6
3 users Like Rage2277's post

(06-11-2020, 01:07 AM)Rage2277 Wrote:
interesting..this literally sounds like a little kid wrote it @Ingonyama6

Why are you attacking me then? Do I attack your posts? Anway why are you ignoring the other sources?

Ashutosh Offline
Contributor

How can someone living in 800AD report on interaction between Asiatic Elephants and Asiatic lions when the Syrian Elephant went extinct in 700BC?!?! 

They didn’t even share the same habitat for the most part. Syrian elephants were only restricted to mangroves and the coast whereas the lions were more in dry part of the middle East.
4 users Like Ashutosh's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 06-11-2020, 01:52 AM by Shadow )

@Ingonyama6  If you want to use f-words to underline something, then do it somewhere else. When you write in wildfact keep it civilized. I took that off from one of your posting and I hope, that no need to do it again. Postings with sources are ok, also opinions, when those are clearly separated from facts and written in decent way. 

What comes to some book with mentioning, that lion would be stronger than tiger, it´s good to remember, that those are always opinions of that certain writer, nothing more or less. This was a bit for you @Rage2277 (not a warning, just mentioning) but this is something, which is good for all to remember, here is no need to start again some endless debate about worn up issue. Some prefer tigers, some lions, it has been so in past and will be so in future too. If anyone has overwhelming need to try to win such endless debate, there are plenty of places to do so. Wildfact isn´t one of those places.

So let´s not make some random quote overly dramatic.

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

@Ingonyama6  is now on permanent watchlist. Any posting you do, will be checked buy moderators before publishing. I or any moderator doesn´t have time to look after posters like you, who obviously want to create animosity. If you try to continue in such way, you will be banned. Up to you now if you want to post quality or not.
1 user Likes Shadow's post

Virgin Islands, U.S. Rage2277 Offline
animal enthusiast

i wasn't debating anyone it's not about this vs that it,i don't prefer anything,it just sounds like it was written by some little kid so i simply pointed it out @Shadow
1 user Likes Rage2277's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 06-11-2020, 02:15 AM by Shadow )

(06-11-2020, 02:05 AM)Rage2277 Wrote: i wasn't debating anyone it's not about this vs that it,i don't prefer anything,it just sounds like it was written by some little kid so i simply pointed it out @Shadow

Yeah, I know and I wasn´t warning you. Still postings and.... "signs" started to go to the direction, that soon there would have been heat in the air... That´s why I intervened before things go too far to wrong direction.

Different people are free to believe whatever they want as long as they respect it, that others are free to believe otherwise, when issue is controversial. It happens to be the case with many things concerning lions and tigers.
1 user Likes Shadow's post