There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are Dinosaurs Reptiles ?

India brotherbear Offline
Grizzly Enthusiast

Some paleontologists claim that the bird evolved from dinosaurs while still others claim that birds are dinosaurs. One thing for certain is that birds are not reptiles. So, should warm-blooded dinosaurs be classified as reptiles ?

3 users Like brotherbear's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(06-20-2015, 06:38 PM)'brotherbear' Wrote: Some paleontologists claim that the bird evolved from dinosaurs while still others claim that birds are dinosaurs. One thing for certain is that birds are not reptiles. So, should warm-blooded dinosaurs be classified as reptiles ?

Aren't all reptiles cold blooded?
If thats the classification for reptile, than I guess they aren't.
But I really don't konw.

3 users Like Pckts's post

Grizzly Enthusiast

Some "experts" consider birds as dinosaurs. Birds are not reptiles. Some dinosaurs, at least in the lineage of the coelurosaurs  had feathers. Reptiles do not have feathers. 

United States Polar Offline
Polar Bear Enthusiast

(06-20-2015, 11:38 PM)Pckts Wrote:
brotherbear\ dateline='\'1434807524' Wrote: Some paleontologists claim that the bird evolved from dinosaurs while still others claim that birds are dinosaurs. One thing for certain is that birds are not reptiles. So, should warm-blooded dinosaurs be classified as reptiles ?

Aren't all reptiles cold blooded?
If thats the classification for reptile, than I guess they aren't.
But I really don't konw.

The only exception for a reptile to be warm-blooded is to be a "mammal-like reptile" or therapsid. I'm not sure if therapsids possessed fur with reptile-like scaly skin, or had softer skin and no fur. If you look very close at human skin, you can see bare and soft scales, a remnant of our synapsid ancestors.

I think dinosaurs were both warm and cold-blooded depending on how far you go back in their evolution/lineage.
2 users Like Polar's post

Grizzly Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 01-23-2016, 12:40 AM by brotherbear )

http://www.dinosaurjungle.com/prehistori...ptiles.php 

Amniotes (tetrapod vertebrate animals with a terrestrially adapted eggs) are traditionally divided into three categories:
  • Anapsids - Animals with a box-like skull without openings. This group includes the early reptiles of the Carboniferous and Permian periods (and to a limited extent the Triassic period), and includes animals such Scutosaurus. This group may also include turtles, however many scientists believe that turtles are actually descended from Diapsid reptiles which lost their skull openings. 
  • Diapsids - Reptiles with two temporal holes (fenestra) in their skulls, and their descendents. This group includes archosaurs (including crocodilians, dinosaur species and birds), as well as lepidosaurs such as lizards, snakes, and sphenodonts - even though many of these groups have lost one hole (lizards), both holes (snakes), or have heavily modified skulls (birds). 
  • Synapsids (also sometimes known as "Theropsids") - Animals with a single temporal opening (fenestra) in theirn skull behind each eye. This group includes many reptiles, known as "mammal-like reptiles", as well as mammals. Some examples of mammal-like reptiles include CynodontsDicynodontsGorgonopsians (including Lystrosaurs),Dinocephalians like EstemmenosuchusMoschops and Struthiocephalus, as well as Pelycosaurs like DimetrodonEdaphosaurusSphenacodon, and Varanosaurus.

Grizzly Enthusiast

Neither would I consider the so-called "mammal-like reptiles" to be true reptiles; nor the pterodactyls. 
2 users Like brotherbear's post

Polar Bear Enthusiast

(01-23-2016, 12:42 AM)brotherbear Wrote: Neither would I consider the so-called "mammal-like reptiles" to be true reptiles; nor the pterodactyls. 

How could pterodactyls not be reptiles? I've never read evidence of them having feathers or any thermo-regulating abilities of mammals.
2 users Like Polar's post

Grizzly Enthusiast

(01-23-2016, 12:46 AM)Polar Wrote:
(01-23-2016, 12:42 AM)brotherbear Wrote: Neither would I consider the so-called "mammal-like reptiles" to be true reptiles; nor the pterodactyls. 

How could pterodactyls not be reptiles? I've never read evidence of them having feathers or any thermo-regulating abilities of mammals.

They have no living relatives, so a lot of guesswork. It takes energy to fly, so likely warm-blooded. There is also evidence of fur. I believe that they were in a class of their own; evolved from reptiles but neither reptile nor bird nor mammal. 
2 users Like brotherbear's post

Polar Bear Enthusiast

Quite astonishing, then. The first discovered bird-like dinosaur (not the first bird-like dinosaur in existence), Archaeopteryx, had feathers and a bird-like beak, but what about its skin? Did it have softer and moist skin like that of modern birds, or did it have rough and scaly skin like that of dinosaurs? 
4 users Like Polar's post

Netherlands Spalea Online
Wildanimal Lover

We believed that dinosaurs were reptile. But now they no longer are. Because, yes, reptiles are not hot blooded animals with feathers and so on. Otherwise we have to modify, to alter, the reptile definition.

I think Archaeopteryx was a first attempt from the dinosaur lineage in order to become a winged animal with feathers. But it wasn't a success.
4 users Like Spalea's post

United Kingdom Sully Offline
Ecology & Rewilding

Birds are reptiles
2 users Like Sully's post

Canada Kingtheropod Offline
Bigcat Expert
( This post was last modified: 03-30-2020, 05:06 AM by Kingtheropod )

Like Therapsids, Dinosaurs are transitional between true reptiles and their modern relatives (In this case birds and mammals).

Reptiles in them selves are not really as close as some may think. There is a lot of grey area. For example, lizards are actually more closely related to snakes then they are to turtles or crocodiles. Crocodiles on the other hand believe it or not are actually more closely related to Birds then they are to Snakes. Both crocodiles and snakes are classified as reptiles, yet they aren't as closely related to each other as they are to other types of animals. 

*This image is copyright of its original author

https://news.ucsc.edu/2014/12/crocodile-genomes.html
2 users Like Kingtheropod's post

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 03-30-2020, 08:41 AM by Rishi )

(03-30-2020, 05:04 AM)Kingtheropod Wrote: Reptiles in them selves are not really as close as some may think. There is a lot of grey area. For example, lizards are actually more closely related to snakes then they are to turtles or crocodiles. Crocodiles on the other hand believe it or not are actually more closely related to Birds then they are to Snakes. Both crocodiles and snakes are classified as reptiles, yet they aren't as closely related to each other as they are to other types of animals. 

https://news.ucsc.edu/2014/12/crocodile-genomes.html
Thank you for saying about that grey area!
I once wondered about the positioning of that 1st green split & did some research... Fascinating stuff.

Turns out there is actually good chance that Mammalia originated from amphibians, or amphibian like species of earliest reptiles. The pre-mammals evolved directly alongside Reptilia. 

Dimetrodon was more related to mammals than reptiles, belonged to a group called "Non Mammalian Synapsids" or "Mammal Like Reptiles" (distinction was indeed much blurred back then). Later Synapsids/Therapids or mamalian reptiles were closest related to it.
From them the first proper mammal came in early Cretaceous 50-75 million years before the first avian birds, basically direct descendants of theropods, a lineage of dinosaurs.

2 users Like Rishi's post

johnny rex Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast

In my personal opinion, they are like the intermediate between reptiles, birds and mammals. Dinosaurs are pretty unique.
2 users Like johnny rex's post

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 07-08-2020, 08:53 AM by Rishi )

(03-30-2020, 08:49 AM)johnny rex Wrote: In my personal opinion, they are like the intermediate between reptiles, birds and mammals. Dinosaurs are pretty unique.
That's way too much oversimplification. Not too accurate either. We don't know enough to form much of an opinion (you can't even call birds "fluffy warmblooded dinos" anymore). 

Very often people dont understand the variation within kingdoms well, & the blurred lines between them even less so. 
Many find birds actually being very close to reptiles, close enough to be a branch of it, to be mindblowing & borderline overstated. @Kingtheropod's post is covers just a mere part of the whole spectrum. It's all a very messed jumble. 

Feathers are modified scales, and many dinosaurs had feathers. Some didn’t. Look at birds — they have scales on their legs and feet, just like all reptiles. They lay eggs, just like most reptiles. And their teeth, when scientists switch on the gene to grow them, are non-differentiated, just like all reptiles. Lots of dinosaurs had beaks, too. So do turtles. (https://www.quora.com/If-the-T-Rex-is-mo...a-dinosaur)

Consider this; Crocodiles and Alligators are more closely related to birds than they are other species of reptiles, like lizards or snakes.
Now this. There are fish closer related to us humans, than some other fish.

Warm blooded thermo-regulating body isn't any recent development between Synapsids/Therapids (they're NOT dinosaurs, just like they aren't crocodilians or lizards) either. Opah: Warm-Blooded Fish Found. It didn't become prominent in those levels because it wasn't much of an evolutionary advantage among them.
2 users Like Rishi's post