There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Animals & humans saving each other

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

This thread is to inform any incident in which humans have saved or helped wild animals. Post your details with pictures, videos and other details. I will start with one great example

Meet Nic Proust, He has done an exceptional work by helping a female elephant in Botswana.
Read his full report -

Elephant stuck in the mud!

What an emotional day it was yesterday as we battled for more than 3 hours to free this elephant that got stuck in the mud. At first we were called out to save a calf and then when we got there we realized it was an adult female and she was so stuck...about 2m in and unable to move. She had been there for days and the mud was all caked around her. She let us get close and we started digging her out and allowing fresh water to seep into the mud around her. The Botswana Defense force got there too as well as well as the Department of Wildlife and National Parks...amazing luck to have them around and they did great. We used the BDF truck to start pulling her out and only when the concession tractor arrived did we succeed with both the tractor and truck needed to finally dislodge the elephant from the mud. At one stage a bull elephant arrived and it was panic as we revved the truck and shouted to distract him from charging us...if that was not enough well we also had 2 lions come down to watch us...a big male and female...fortunately they were easier to chase away. The outcome? Well we got this amazing animal out of the mud...but she was so so weak...it was a victory and she was alive but to be honest I don't think she will make it...its about a 2 hour drive and we will check later and pray that somehow she found the energy to get up during the night after her huge ordeal. What a truly amazing animal that knew we were doing good to help her and she allowed us to get so close. Even if she dies at least one animal out there knows that a lot of humans mean well. Either way so proud of the commitment shown by all involved.

Helping an elephant stuck in mud
*This image is copyright of its original author

Well done Nic, You have done a great job and we appreciate your work.

I request our members to post and praise such incident.
7 users Like sanjay's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

Tigress T83 named Lightning had fallen into a well in khava village, ranthambhore this morning. The forest dept with the help of villagers rescued and took her out after tranquillise her. They really did a great job and saved her life. Since a long time she is willing for her territory and used to come out of the national park frequently. Forest dept will shift her soon to a new area of the ranthambhore national park where she can find a male and territory for herself.

Tigress fell into a well
Tigress fell into a well

Forest dept tranquillise tigress
Forest dept tranquillise tigress

Preparing tranquillising gun
Preparing tranquillising gun

Going inside the well to dart the tigress
Going inside the well to dart the tigress

Villagers helping forest dept
Villagers helping forest dept

Forest dept official coming up with darted tigress
Forest dept official coming up with darted tigress

Finally tigress is out of well
Finally tigress is out of well

Excellent work by forest department and villagers who help in rescuing this tigress from the well.
Credit to Shashank Saraswat for the information and images
9 users Like sanjay's post

Roflcopters Offline
Modern Tiger Expert
( This post was last modified: 11-14-2016, 06:11 PM by Roflcopters )

Excellent rescue work done by the forest department and the villagers, poor girl! lightning is one of (T19) Uniis and (T28) Star male's daughter and the grand daughter of Machli. shes also the sister of (T84) Arrowhead and (T85) Pacman.
4 users Like Roflcopters's post

India Bronco Offline

6 users Like Bronco's post

India Bronco Offline
( This post was last modified: 01-19-2017, 02:35 PM by Bronco )

Jumbos in jim jams! Huge jumpers and legwear are specially knitted by villagers to keep elephants warm at Indian sanctuary

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4129842/Huge-jumpers-knitted-villagers-elephants-warm.html
7 users Like Bronco's post

India Bronco Offline

Aminika a Belgian Malinois, an Indian army sniffer dog, saved lives of CoBRA battalion commandos on Jan 17, 2016 as she found an improvised explosive device (IED) and was blown apart. 

4 users Like Bronco's post

United Kingdom Spalea Online
Wildanimal Lover

Jens Cullmann: " How to explain an elephant rescue in ten images? ?

On one of my walks in the bush I found two elephant babies and a elephant cow stuck in the mud at a drying out pool in Mana Pools National Park. I went to the park reception to report it. Coincidentally a crew from @action4ifaw and @wildislife_zen were in the park to dart/help another elephant. They went first to the elephants I found. With the great help from Dave @mwinilungasafaris , Steve @camp_mana and a group of Czech park visitors, we were able to free the babies. Both babies had injuries. They were bitten on trunk and ears, one tail was bitten off and an insure on the abdomen. All probably caused by hyenas. It was very hot, the calves were totally stuck in the mud, dehydrated and exhausted. But we managed to get them out in a few hours.
As there was not much hope for the mother of one of the two babies and the mother of the other baby was not to find, the decision was made to fly them out in an elephant nursery. As far as I know now, both babies are doing well. They are already or will come to a place near Victoria Falls, were they join a heard of elephants with similar histories. Long term aim is to release them in the wild again when old enough.
Big thanks you to all the people who helped and I probably have forgotten to mention!
Now you saw, what I do in the bush, when I don’t take pictures ? "

1 user Likes Spalea's post

Wildanimal Lover

Jens Cullmann: " Is the well being of animals morally relevant? .

Wild life photography is not all fun and games. Every day we can encounter situations in which we need to carefully decide what is the ethical thing to do. In this story we decided to rescue two Kudu antelopes despite the fact that there was a huge crocodile three meters away. We assessed the situation carefully and realised the crocodile was in ‘aestivation’ (like a wintersleep, due to harsh conditions) so it didn’t move when we approached. The antelopes were fully stuck in the mud and it took us luckily not to long before we could set them free. Fortunately no other predators were around. In this case my photography clearly took a second place over the animals lives. Animals can be equally harmed by either humans or natural evets; but they can also benefit from our help. I pride myself to be conscious of this. Thank you Carole @carolewildlife for capturing this story and Steven @camp_mana for helping in the rescue. . "

Rishi Offline
Moderators

Experienced teams' operations have gotten so much smoother nowadays! 

1 user Likes Rishi's post

United States Styx38 Offline
Banned

Botswana Rangers rescue Impala stuck in mud

Another man also saves Impala that was stuck in mud.

2 users Like Styx38's post

BorneanTiger Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 08-23-2020, 06:30 PM by BorneanTiger )

Does anyone remember the story of a Bornean orangutan reaching out to a ranger in a snake-infested river? https://wildfact.com/forum/topic-the-gre...#pid104491
1 user Likes BorneanTiger's post

Wildanimal Lover

" A glimpse of human affection to its surrounding species. The boy here helped the newborn fawn to cross the canal during the high tide and the fawn was reunited with its family. Location: Nijhum Dwip, Bangladesh. Nijhum Dwip (Island of Silence) is one of the most remote islands of Bangladesh. Situated in the Bay of Bengal, it is vulnerable to flooding and threatened by global warming. It’s a natural beauty of mangrove forests where you will find Deer (axis deer) and migrated birds. "

Wildanimal Lover

(06-06-2020, 12:59 PM)BorneanTiger Wrote: Does anyone remember the story of a Bornean orangutan reaching out to a ranger in a snake-infested river? 

I spoke about this astonishing fact at:

https://wildfact.com/forum/topic-the-gre...#pid104491

see #484

Ashutosh Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 11-14-2020, 10:49 AM by Ashutosh )

This whale shark was beached. Time to get it back in the ocean.

1 user Likes Ashutosh's post

Ashutosh Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 01-18-2021, 06:51 PM by Ashutosh )

A tigress fell in a well @Bandhavgarh.

She was checked up on and released later.