There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 5 Vote(s) - 2.4 Average
Animal Strength Feats

Brazil Dark Jaguar Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 12-12-2019, 09:44 PM by Dark Jaguar )

Amazon Jaguar

4 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

United States Styx38 Offline
Banned

A Leopard wrestles down a grown cow.

*This image is copyright of its original author

The Leopard was pinning the cow to the ground, until one of its buddies moved the Leopard from the advantageous position. This helped the fallen cow escape.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QttIpgLaeWM&feature=emb_title
5 users Like Styx38's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(12-17-2019, 07:04 AM)Styx38 Wrote: A Leopard wrestles down a grown cow.

The Leopard was pinning the cow to the ground, until one of its buddies moved the Leopard from the advantageous position. This helped the fallen cow escape.

Impressive cow, looks like to be quite young and it managed to rise up after falling. I was surprised to see, that it practically alone was able to fight so good. In the end leopard seemed to be scared for something, still my respect to that calf/young one, what a fight!!! :)

Banned

(12-17-2019, 04:22 PM)Shadow Wrote:

Impressive cow, looks like to be quite young and it managed to rise up after falling. I was surprised to see, that it practically alone was able to fight so good. In the end leopard seemed to be scared for something, still my respect to that calf/young one, what a fight!!! :)

If you see the full video, you can see the Leopard was holding down the cow from 0:17 to 0:44

You can see how the cow's friend or herd member tried to fend off the Leopard. Once the Leopard moved to a different angle, only then did the cow get up.

Also, the cow looks to be either an adult or a near-adult. The cow looked comparable in size to the other cows.

Not to mention, Leopards have killed full grown cows before.

Leopard kills Bull:

Quote: Wrote:Officials of the Periyar Tiger Reserve (PTR) have identified the leopard that is said to have killed a bull on an abandoned tea estate at Parunthumpara in Peerumade on Sunday.

https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/kerala/leopard-killed-bull-says-ptr/article6927440.ece

Leopards killing Cow:

^Not fully sure of source since this were posted on a different forum.

Posted by Luipaard on Leopard Predation Thread:

"A leopard killing a huge cow at Zone 6 today morning safari slot. Ranthambhore National Park. Photo By Mahesh"

It is pretty obvious that the cow is no match for a Leopard when alone.

My point was to highlight the strength of a Leopard (when wrestling down cows) compared to most humans.

1 user Likes Styx38's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(12-21-2019, 01:33 PM)Styx38 Wrote:
(12-17-2019, 04:22 PM)Shadow Wrote:

If you see the full video, you can see the Leopard was holding down the cow from 0:17 to 0:44

You can see how the cow's friend or herd member tried to fend off the Leopard. Once the Leopard moved to a different angle, only then did the cow get up.

Also, the cow looks to be either an adult or a near-adult. The cow looked comparable in size to the other cows.

Not to mention, Leopards have killed full grown cows before.

Leopard kills Bull:

Quote: Wrote:Officials of the Periyar Tiger Reserve (PTR) have identified the leopard that is said to have killed a bull on an abandoned tea estate at Parunthumpara in Peerumade on Sunday.

https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/kerala/leopard-killed-bull-says-ptr/article6927440.ece

Leopards killing Cow:

^Not fully sure of source since this were posted on a different forum.

Posted by Luipaard on Leopard Predation Thread:

"A leopard killing a huge cow at Zone 6 today morning safari slot. Ranthambhore National Park. Photo By Mahesh"

It is pretty obvious that the cow is no match for a Leopard when alone.

My point was to highlight the strength of a Leopard (when wrestling down cows) compared to most humans.

I watched the full video before I wrote my posting.

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

@Styx38 to clarify, there is no doubt, that leopard can kill big prey animals. I was commenting just this one case and that young cow was impressive, I happen to like cows too, so I couldn´t be unhappy to see it survive this time and it fought well, even though other cows distracted leopard.

Banned

@Shadow

Ok. One last thing. 

Would you say that a Leopard has the raw strength of at least 2-3 men combined?

Even small cows require two or more people to wrestle to the ground.

1 user Likes Styx38's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 12-22-2019, 12:57 PM by Shadow )

(12-22-2019, 12:23 AM)Styx38 Wrote: @Shadow

Ok. One last thing. 

Would you say that a Leopard has the raw strength of at least 2-3 men combined?

Even small cows require two or more people to wrestle to the ground.

I know men, who can force these animals to do things easily. It´s also about knowing what you are doing and being determined. Cows for instance have very sensitive muzzle/nose, when bulls have nose rings those aren´t decorations. Same for instance with a horse. I´ve seen myself a guy making a horse to calm down in split second by taking a very tight grip from nose. That horse was right away standing still. Not a nice way to treat an animal, but he could have forced that horse down without a doubt alone, easily, if wanting to.

Of course if you wrestle a cow and not knowing how to do it, it´s a total mess, no matter how big man you are, the cow is usually stronger. As it is stronger than a leopard too, it´s not about strength and overpowering when a leopard tackles a cow or lion tackles a buffalo, it´s about ability to put enough weight and speed from right angle right time. If it would be about strength, no leopard would kill any cows and no lions would kill any buffalos etc. They are simply too small to compete with strength alone. 

But when 60 kg of leopard jumps on neck of some bigger animal and same time claws penetrate skin hooking in and biting neck or muzzle it´s naturally challenging for prey animal. 

Those videos which you shared show to me just some people, who have no idea how to force cows to ground. Look at this for instance. These guys know what they are doing and force bulls down alone with ease, they could even kill those cows faster than leopards if they would want to do that. With bare hands. Even though those bulls are way stronger.

1 user Likes Shadow's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

Here a video without horses. These guys are training to wrestle bull down alone. Sometimes bulls get fatally injured in these events, sadly. Point is, that if anyone wants to compare strength of some animals and people, then objectivity is needed. If taking only videos with people, who don´t know what they are doing it´s like showing videos of leopard, lion or tiger cubs hunting and say, that these animals can´t catch anything.

1 user Likes Shadow's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

4 users Like Pckts's post

bigcatlover Offline

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

2 users Like Pckts's post

Brazil Dark Jaguar Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 04-19-2020, 10:03 PM by Dark Jaguar )

Cerrado Jaguar Strength.

Published by Instituto Onça Pintada in 2014 the camera traps of wild cerrado jags with predated cattles and dragging power.

They can drag it up to 1000 meters from one area to the other ( Crashaw & Quigley, 2002, personal observation ).

4 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

bigcatlover Offline

2 users Like bigcatlover's post

United Kingdom TigrisLeo504 Offline
( This post was last modified: 04-28-2020, 01:07 PM by TigrisLeo504 )

(07-07-2016, 05:43 AM)Polar Wrote: In my personal opinion, a lion or tiger (400-pounds) can maximally drag an excess of 2-3 tons if they were willing enough to tire themselves out and engage their max potential. 

But that is just what I think. Need scientific studies on big cat muscular composition and muscular force to see if my statement is even partially valid.

You overexaggerated that wayyy tooo much. No living predator can drag 2-3 tons. I think 1.1 or 1.2 tons in the max
1 user Likes TigrisLeo504's post