There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Animal breeds

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 12-21-2018, 05:03 PM by Rishi )

*This image is copyright of its original author

Wiki says:
Quote:The dog diverged from a now-extinct population of wolves immediately before the Last Glacial Maximum, when much of Eurasia was a cold, dry mammoth steppe biome. 

The closest living relative of the dog is the extant gray wolf, and an extinct Late Pleistocene wolf is the nearest common ancestor to the dog & modern wolf.
The dog and the extant gray wolf are
sister taxa, as modern wolves are not closely related to the wolves that were first domesticated to Paleolithic dogs.
https://www.ancient-origins.net/history/26000-year-old-child-footprints-found-alongside-paw-prints-reveal-oldest-evidence-human-canine-relationhip 

recent study suggests that domestication took place from a single population in during a short time somewhere in Eastern Asia from where they migrated, on which another fascinating research was done.

But it's likely that ancestors of dogs, weaker & docile outcasts from wild packs, may have been following hunter-gatherers for more than 40k years! 
There's no reason that feat wasn't replicated elsewhere, penally in smaller scale.

This study on genetic diversity of village dogs over the world, found high quite an amount of genetic differences in local strays, actually more than artificially created "breeds" who were basically inbred to highlight certain desired traits.
Unfortunately, need for those are mostly gone today & these once functional breeds are being turned into abominations.

2 users Like Rishi's post

India brotherbear Offline
Grizzly Enthusiast

I'm not sure about the scientific terminologies, but I've often wondered about if many of the brown bear subspecies are actually more like different breeds of brown bears. In other words ( my thinking ) less separated genetically. ?

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 12-22-2018, 07:18 AM by Rishi )

(12-21-2018, 06:43 PM)brotherbear Wrote: I'm not sure about the scientific terminologies, but I've often wondered about if many of the brown bear subspecies are actually more like different breeds of brown bears. In other words ( my thinking ) less separated genetically. ?

Well, technically they have to be selectively-bred by humans with the aim of enhancing a/few specific desired genetic traits. 

Natural selection > subspecies
Artificial selection> breeds

Other than that they are the same thing... Nobody bothered to find out the subspecies in stay dogs (there could be scores), otherwise we could compare the differences between it & breeds.

Kolkata stray dog.

North Bengal stay dog.

Sikkim stay dog.

4 users Like Rishi's post

Grizzly Enthusiast

Thank you for clarifying Rishi  Happy

Grizzly Enthusiast

The Carolina dog runs wild right here in my "neck of the woods" very much like a dingo. 

http://bittersoutherner.com/carolina-dogs#.XB5AY2hKi00
2 users Like brotherbear's post

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 12-27-2018, 06:36 PM by Rishi )

I truly had zero idea that such a breed (more like a derivative of GSD) as"King Shephard" exists!

It's a new one that was developed by crossing long-coated european line of German & Shiloh shepherds along with malamutes, back in the '90s.
Apparently they don't have the tendency to get crippled with hip dysplasia at older age, due to recessive genes being expressed in purebreds.

It's like watching Siberian & Sumatran tigers together.

1 user Likes Rishi's post

BigLion39 Offline
( This post was last modified: 08-28-2023, 01:32 PM by BigLion39 )

(12-27-2018, 06:34 PM)Rishi Wrote: I truly had zero idea that such a breed (more like a derivative of GSD) as"King Shephard" exists!

It's a new one that was developed by crossing long-coated european line of German & Shiloh shepherds along with malamutes, back in the '90s.
Apparently they don't have the tendency to get crippled with hip dysplasia at older age, due to recessive genes being expressed in purebreds.

"King Shepherd" is not a breed; whoever came up with that term and bred that poor dog made an abomination of a true "German Shepherd Dog". There are only 3 recognized GSD's in the SV, FCI, and AKC and they are Long Coat, Short Hair, and Medium Coat and they can be from W.German working lines or show lines, E.German working lines, or American Showline. The "King Shepherd", "Blue Shepherd" are no such thing and many backyard breeders have ruined the original Working Line GSD that Max Von Stephanits worked so hard to create.
Breeders should be breeding for their original purpose which is a working line and not breeding for looks as this pushes the GSD far away from its intended purpose plus keeping the horrible health and nerve traits we see with the abomination, American Showline we see today.

Hip Dispasia, elbow displasia,  spinal stenosis are not a GSD thing. It is common in all canines unfortunately.
1 user Likes BigLion39's post