There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
American Bison (Bison bison)

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 08-13-2017, 04:15 PM by Rishi )

Bull bison charges female moose:

*This image is copyright of its original author

The rest of photos include him attacking her calf & can be seen here, the calf was okay.
3 users Like Rishi's post

Argentina Tshokwane Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Credits to Sandy Sisti - Wild at Heart.

"Chief"

As the bison rut winds down, this massive bull keeps a close eye on his rivals during a frigid August morning (it was 28F!) in Yellowstone's Hayden Valley. 

3 users Like Tshokwane's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Credits to Warren Hawtin.

Bison fight in Lamar Valley. Younger bull takes on big daddy over his choice of cow and is quickly dispatched.

Click on it to play.

4 users Like Tshokwane's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Credits to Thomas Szajner.

His deep breathing seemed strained and greedy. His sided were expanding and contracting faster than he wanted… with his mouth open. he was violently gasping for air ... he was tanked. There was a hint of tremor in his right hind leg, possible pulled muscle, or perhaps a dislocated left hip. His body was bruised and battered, an annual consequence of earning the right to mate.

His opponent was young, bold and unpredictably strong. He knew that the battle he barely won, would probably be his last…he gave it all…his offsprings will roam Yellowstone and over time will make him proud.

5 users Like Tshokwane's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Credits to Wild at Heart.

Winter is Coming....

It was only 15 degrees in Yellowstone when I photographed this frosty bull bison. Built to survive in cold climates, I'm sure the bull barely noticed the chill in the air, but I did. It's been so cold in Wapiti (25 degrees this morning), that we actually lit our first fire of the season yesterday. The weather has been unseasonably cold for most of the last two months, so much so that I'm certain that winter is already here. 

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Credits to Thomas Szajner.

His steps were measured; tired like…with a hint of uncertainty he made another step, inching closer to the open water. Both of his front legs were several inches deep in a soft and wet mud, he paused and listened. What he heard was distant and not for the human ears, it was urging. He measured his next step and heavily lunged forward. Ripples on the water captured his progress. He was belly deep in water determined to continue…what was it that drove him to continue?... the noisy way he walked out of the water and into the thick fog told me that he has no reason to turn around…

Yellowstone.

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

10 Below.....

I'm not quite ready for our nearly two feet of snow and -10F temperatures, but at least I can retreat to my warm house when I get too cold. Wildlife don't have that luxury, but many of the animals, including bison, are made for this weather. Bison have evolved to survive in this harsh climate and with their extremely thick double-layer coat, they can tolerate temperatures of up to -50F. 

Even knowing this, it doesn't stop me from worrying about how this big bull, who I call, "Patch" because of the missing patch of fur above his left shoulder, will fare during the frigid Wyoming winter.

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

"Spirit Buffalo"

It's hard to believe that I took this photo almost exactly a year ago, when we had more than three feet of snow on the ground and temperatures were topping out near -15F. I remember that the only wildlife I could find that day was a herd of bull bison trudging through the deep snow. It was so cold, that steam was rising from the bull's body and his breath was freezing on his fur, making him look almost otherworldly.....like a ghostly apparition possessed by the true spirit of winter.

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Credits to Thomas Szajner.

He was young, experience hungry and fearless. As he walked out of the winter chilled river, his waterlogged guard hair quickly started to freeze. Lots of thick, snowy icicles nearly totally displaced his undercarriage. His nostrils blew volumes of steamy hot air... getting out of that river cost him some energy; he needed a moment to catch a breath. Somewhere in the distance his ears pinpointed a familiar sound. He stiffened and listened. Moments later, and with renewed energy his body lurched, he started walking , not in a slow way, he seemed anxious to be closer to that familiar sound… as he walked, clouds of cold , fog slowly shrouded his disappearing shape in its swirls.

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

I wanted to share another favorite winter wildlife image this morning. 

This big bison was traveling the roadway on a -25F day in Yellowstone country. It always amazes me how bison can withstand Wyoming's frigid temps, but nothing seems to bother them.

6 users Like Tshokwane's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Credits to Deby Dixon.

Coming Through

An oldie but goodie

I took this image of a bull bison several years ago - it shows the power of these impressive animals as they struggle to survive in Winter. Conditions are harsh and they are survivors. Bison also have a sense of humor and often mess with us by standing in the road or coming our way and making us move. Recently, I watched two bulls approach the Wapiti wolves as they slept, making the whole pack rise from their naps and move on. Kind of pranksters is the feeling I get when looking into their eyes. They also mourn death, not only with other bison but I have witnessed this with elk. When we see them out there in Lamar Valley they just look like big old lugs that eat grass, poop and sleep. But, they are so much more if you take the time to get to know them.

While I do love the bison, I also see the reality of their predicament - there is no room for the herd to grow because Montana will only allow them out of the park to be shot. Because of this their numbers must be culled, otherwise the bison will devastate the eco-system as the elk once did. People are offended when I mention eating bison meat but I am only trying to keep things real and honest - show myself as a real person who prefers to eat meat. Bison meat is the best I have ever tasted and it is so much healthier than beef filled with hormones and antibiotics and fed feed with pesticides and other things. Living here, something I never thought would be possible to deal with, has taught me so much about real life and has drawn me away from illusion to reality - it isn't all pretty like flowers, but beautiful and real.

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Credits to Thomas Szajner.

The times of "easy" have reached a past-tense category...Yellowstone

2 users Like Tshokwane's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Frigid.....

The bison of the North Fork are a tough bunch. Each year, they leave Yellowstone and take the long journey over Sylvan Pass to winter along the Shoshone River. They then return to the park in late spring just in time for the summer rut. Last year, winter weather along the North Fork was brutal, with record snowfall and frigid temperatures lasting for months, making survival difficult for all the wildlife. This year, the weather has been more moderate, except for the last few weeks when sub-zero temperatures and blowing snow finally reached the area. This bull was photographed during one of our coldest days in late December, but he wasn't fazed. With his thick winter coat, I believe he barely felt the chill. 

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Credits to Julie Argyle - Heart of the Wild Yellowstone.

As these Bison kept coming down the hill next to me, I started wondering about their travels, their journeys, and all that they had experienced in life. How many have endured long hard winters, how many are experiencing winter for the first time, and how many have been lost because of it. I wondered how many times they have traveled this same path and where exactly their destination is this time. Will they all make it there safely or will mother nature call on one of them for something.

After they had all made it across the road, I turned back to watch them. The silence was magical as they traveled up the hill, some playing, some running, and others just taking their time.
Just as they started to disappear over the horizon, I once again realized how incredibly lucky I am to get to spend my time in such an amazing place. A place full of unexpected surprises. A place full of many beautiful beginnings and sad endings. A place that is such an incredible force of nature. A place you you can rest your soul. A place called Yellowstone. - Julie

1 user Likes Tshokwane's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Credits to Sandy Sisti - Wild At Heart.

I have a soft spot for bison and feel privileged that they choose to winter near my home. This photo was taken as a pair of bulls used the roadway to travel between meadows searching for food. For those that might be interested, these bulls are Yellowstone bison that travel out of the park each fall to spend winter in the warmer (and less snowy) National Forest. I've counted only six bulls along the North Fork this year and wonder if any others will be joining them in the future. 

1 user Likes Tshokwane's post