There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
American Bison (Bison bison)

Argentina Tshokwane Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Shari Sommerfeld Images:
Weary Warrior...

While I haven't been in the park during the peak of the bison rut, I have seen these giants mix it up over a female later in the season. This big guy looks like he's been in some battles over the years and most likely recently in this picture. Weary looking or not, I certainly don't want to mess with a bull at anytime!

*This image is copyright of its original author
5 users Like Tshokwane's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Wherever she went, he, more than willing, went also...Yellowstone. Credits to Thomas Szajner Photography.

6 users Like Tshokwane's post

India brotherbear Offline
Grizzly Enthusiast

Some people believe that bisons have short horns; They don't.

6 users Like brotherbear's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Credits to Thomas Szajner Photography.

Early morning in the Hayden Valley, Yellowstone.

Grizzly overlook in the Hayden Valley attracts a lot of human types who spend a lot of time "glassing" for wolves, bears and other wildlife....occassionally the roles are adjusted and other species get their turn to use the overlook for their own "glassing" purposes...

And another one

6 users Like Tshokwane's post

Grizzly Enthusiast

Bison, not yet a bull. 

5 users Like brotherbear's post

India parvez Offline
Tiger enthusiast

(11-04-2016, 03:49 PM)brotherbear Wrote: Bison, not yet a bull. 

lol
3 users Like parvez's post

Grizzly Enthusiast

Yellowstone bison: 

4 users Like brotherbear's post

Grizzly Enthusiast

Yellowstone: 

4 users Like brotherbear's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Credits to Wild at Heart Images.

I know what you must be thinking...another day, another bison photo. What can I say, I have a soft spot for these behemoths and feel privileged that they choose to winter near my home. This photo was taken as a pair of bulls used the roadway to travel between meadows searching for food. For those that might be interested, these bulls are Yellowstone bison that travel out of the park each fall to spend winter in the warmer (and less snowy) National Forest. It is an honor to have them among us.

4 users Like Tshokwane's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Credits to Leo Leckie.

BISON WINTER ... Yellowstone's snowstorms usher in, a quick farewell to fall. And in this harshest of climates, lives the hardiest of them all! Frigid temps in the -20s, enhanced by daunting white squall bursts — at Yellowstone National Park.

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Credits to Thomas Szajner.

After crossing a deep and fast flowing river, this massive bull climbed a steep river bank and headed directly toward two other bulls that were working the distant meadow in search of snow covered grasses...Yellowstone

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Credits to Thomas Szajner.

I knew that these two bulls were in the area. I got to the pullout early, shut the car off, and decided to sit on the hood and wait. The fog was thick and wet, and the visibility was poor. No wind and if I concentrated hard enough, I could hear my hart beat. 

I do not know how long I waited…when they showed up, it did not matter. The large bull led the way, not in the hurry, but with a measure of intent. His eyes, and nothing else, showed caution as he passed me. ..that pleased me, as I also know what it means to be around some humans who are difficult to trust. Yellowstone.

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Credits to Judy Kelly Watkins.

This was one of my favorite moments: we were driving north near Mammoth and right by the side of the road was this guy, half hidden in the trees. He never moved an inch. Just stood there as if to say "you can't see me right?" Didn't even turn his head.

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Credits to Wild at Heart.

"Showdown"

While watching the bison today, Steve and I saw two big bulls approach each other malevolently. Pound for pound, the pair seemed evenly matched, the only difference being one bull was tending a cow and one was alone. As they moved closer together, the bulls swung their heads from side to side, each trying to intimidate the other. Neither would back down and within seconds the two bulls were battling head to head. The bulls pushed each other around the meadow, with most of the herd scattering to get out of their way. As we watched them intently, the larger of the bulls seemed to lose his balance and was tossed into the air by his rival. Steve and I both gasped, imagining the big bull was being gored. Amazingly, the bull regained his footing and attacked his opponent aggressively, quickly overpowering him. The smaller bull was caught off guard and quickly retreated into the herd. 

After the battle, the big bull returned to his cow. Steve and I studied him through binoculars to see if he was bleeding or injured in any way, but even after all that, he looked fine. Many bulls die from their violent battles during the rut, but thankfully both of these mighty warriors escaped unharmed today. 

In case anyone might be wondering, this photo was taken from the safety of my vehicle. I enjoy observing and photographing bison, but almost always photograph them from the car, especially during the rut. 

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Credits to Wild at Heart.

"Muscle and Bone"

Arising from a dusty wallow, this massive bull bison caught the eye of a challenger in the distance. The pair did not tangle as the challenger gave way to the more mature bull allowing him to pass by unscathed. 

Like yesterday's photo, this bison image was taken from the safety of my vehicle. These giants of Yellowstone are extremely unpredictable, especially during the rut. Because of that, I almost always photograph them from my car.