There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
All about Gaur (Bos gaurus)

Rishi Offline
Moderators

(01-08-2019, 01:05 PM)Shadow Wrote: This video hadn´t so many views, so I put it here, two gaurs seem to have some issues with each others.

Wait.. The kid actually won! shocked

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 01-09-2019, 12:51 PM by Shadow )

Gaur(s) notices something disturbing and getting rid of it.... Wink It is good for tigers, that when fleeing, they run longer distances than when making attacks usually.

1 user Likes Shadow's post

Jimmy Offline
( This post was last modified: 01-09-2019, 07:11 PM by Jimmy )

(01-09-2019, 12:50 PM)Shadow Wrote: Gaur(s) notices something disturbing and getting rid of it.... Wink It is good for tigers, that when fleeing, they run longer distances than when making attacks usually.

It's always a trade-off for prey either you have to be nimble and outrun your predator or be big to confront it or shakeoff an attack. Gaurs fall in latter catagory, if the tigers can't surprise and attack gaur will turn against it, for the solo hunter, a herd of females or a  big lone bull is a challenge, lone female possibly pre or post birthing is fair game though, which misses the critical above mentioned catagory -neither nimble nor brute and likely fall on the mix catagory. On the mix catagory are other prey like wildboars, eland, moose, roan antelope, even zebra or large sambars etc which may repel small predators with their size like leopards but is too slow and cumbersome for an adult male tiger or a lion. Their bulk won't deter these largest cats. Tigers know this they can't outchase fleetfooted deer unless they make tactical adjustment and run them towards water then the chase can continue against gaur, chasing won't work, not that they are unapproachable, I think tiger can get them but you really don't want head on confrontation and give your game away.
This is not what you want

This is what you want - element of surprise

3 users Like Jimmy's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(01-09-2019, 05:48 PM)Jimmy Wrote:
(01-09-2019, 12:50 PM)Shadow Wrote: Gaur(s) notices something disturbing and getting rid of it.... Wink It is good for tigers, that when fleeing, they run longer distances than when making attacks usually.

It's always a trade-off for prey either you have to be nimble and outrun your predator or be big to confront it or shakeoff an attack. Gaurs fall in latter catagory, if the tigers can't surprise and attack gaur will turn against it, for the solo hunter, a herd of females or a  big lone bull is a challenge, lone female possibly pre or post birthing is fair game though, which misses the critical above mentioned catagory -neither nimble nor brute and likely fall on the mix catagory. On the mix catagory are other prey like wildboars, eland, moose, roan antelope, even zebra or large sambars etc which may repel small predators with their size like leopards but is too slow and cumbersome for an adult male tiger or a lion. Their bulk won't deter these largest cats. Tigers know this they can't outchase fleetfooted deer unless they make tactical adjustment and run them towards water then the chase can continue against gaur, chasing won't work, not that they are unapproachable, I think tiger can get them but you really don't want head on confrontation and give your game away.
This is not what you want

This is what you want - element of surprise

Yes, it can sometimes be easy to forget, that most of the times big cats fail in hunting and need to make many attemps until able to get prey. "Full frontal" against big prey like gaur is so very unlikely to succeed like your second video show too. Looks like, that ambush from behind has been successful or gaur has maybe injured itself when escaping and immobilized. There is a risk when escaping in woods, that breaking leg etc. and after that there is nothing to do. Or then tiger is successful to hurt hindlegs enough to immobilize them. It is cruel of course, but also a proof how dangerous pray big herbivores are for big cats.

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

Actually I just found this, does anyone here know if there are some statistics, I haven´t yet looked so closely, but here is quote from article, Gaur - the tiger killer:

"Even then, there are more cases of tigers being killed by Gaurs, than Gaurs being killed by tigers. The males of the species are extremely muscular, and powerful – able to generate enough power to be deadly to predators, humans, and other domestic cattle that are unfortunate enough to provoke them. They live in herds of around 30-50 members, and they gestate for around 280 days."

Here is link to that site: https://thewebsiteofeverything.com/anima...talis.html

I can´t say, that I would be surprised if that is true, but I also haven´t ever read so much about tigers and gaurs.

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 01-09-2019, 11:04 PM by Shadow )

One probable case here. For sure if during struggle whole weight of gaur would happen to roll over the tiger, that could be result. Simply too much weight if big bull.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city...526368.cms

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

One video with gaurs and tiger, which has only a few views, so I put it here so, that people who are interested can see. Not as much gaur noices, only some "snorts". 

5 users Like Shadow's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 01-10-2019, 03:41 AM by Shadow )

Here is one quite recent article from India about gaurs. I put here also one video, there are sounds that are good to remember if visiting in India and walking around... Wink I would turn around immediately and take distance after seeing this video :) "Action" stops in about minute.

https://www.thehindu.com/thread/reflecti...481324.ece

6 users Like Shadow's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

Elephant and gaur warning sign :) Was it "excuse me?!?!?!?" or maybe "just follow me and there is nothing to be afraid of" ...

2 users Like Shadow's post

Rishi Offline
Moderators

(01-10-2019, 06:35 AM)Shadow Wrote: Elephant and gaur warning sign :) Was it "excuse me?!?!?!?" or maybe "just follow me and there is nothing to be afraid of" ...

Elephants love breaking street-signs. I saw dozens of toppled poles all over Dooars!

BTW, gaurs are super badass. See how to elephant gets nervous & stops in her track when the gaur emerges.

4 users Like Rishi's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 01-10-2019, 12:01 PM by Shadow )

(01-10-2019, 07:53 AM)Rishi Wrote:
(01-10-2019, 06:35 AM)Shadow Wrote: Elephant and gaur warning sign :) Was it "excuse me?!?!?!?" or maybe "just follow me and there is nothing to be afraid of" ...

Elephants love breaking street-signs. I saw dozens of toppled poles all over Dooars!

BTW, gaurs are super badass. See how to elephant gets nervous & stops in her track when the gaur emerges.

That was one fun video to watch, I also noticed that yesterday when watching quite many videos about gaurs. In one other, quite long one were also many gaurs and an elephant in some place, which looked like some kind of feeding place partially and there was one rhino too with some distance to gaurs and elephant. It was nice to watch how 3 big herbivores were there peacefully eating and "hanging around". In many videos gaurs seemed to be chasing tigers or people or each others, of course those are what people often upload when there is something "dramatic".

Jimmy Offline
( This post was last modified: 01-10-2019, 01:37 PM by Jimmy )

(01-10-2019, 11:49 AM)Shadow Wrote:

That was one fun video to watch, I also noticed that yesterday when watching quite many videos about gaurs. In one other, quite long one were also many gaurs and an elephant in some place, which looked like some kind of feeding place partially and there was one rhino too with some distance to gaurs and elephant. It was nice to watch how 3 big herbivores were there peacefully eating and "hanging around". In many videos gaurs seemed to be chasing tigers or people or each others, of course those are what people often upload when there is something "dramatic".

There are quite some videos with gaurs and elephants, gaurs with rhinos is a bit rare, never seen gaur with buffaloes

@Shadow i have watched that video what you meant probably the only one with gaur elephants and a rhino (at 2:10) together

and this one Asian wild buffaloes and rhinos together

5 users Like Jimmy's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(01-10-2019, 01:10 PM)Jimmy Wrote:
(01-10-2019, 11:49 AM)Shadow Wrote:

There are quite some videos with gaurs and elephants, gaurs with rhinos is a bit rare, never seen gaur with buffaloes

@Shadow i have watched that video what you meant probably the only one with gaur elephants and a rhino (at 2:10) together

and this one Asian wild buffaloes and rhinos together

Yes it was that same video. Not too many can be found where rhinos and gaurs are nearby for some reason.
2 users Like Shadow's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 01-10-2019, 06:55 PM by Shadow )

Rare sight and this video had only about 500 views, so I put it here. Firs white gaur, which I have noticed in photos or videos. But maybe I have just missed it.

4 users Like Shadow's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Gaur Cows sparring

Captive Cow and Bull sparring

Cow giving a Sloth Bear a lil scare

One of my favorites, 2 big ole bulls showing off their power and aggression 

2 users Like Pckts's post