There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
African Leopards

Italy AndresVida Offline
Animal Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 11-16-2022, 10:55 PM by AndresVida )

Cape leopards are known for being among the smallest populations of leopards in the world, for comparison the average cape male is generally thought to be roughly 30-35 kgs Which is roughly half the size of the average males from the biggest populations in Africa and north Iran ( 65 -70 kgs)
This obviously doesn't mean these populations can't produce impressive specimens , such as these ones.

Big headed and stocky male 

*This image is copyright of its original author

Another bulky looking male, very large neck

not sure if this is the same individual or another one

big headed male

2 users Like AndresVida's post

Italy AndresVida Offline
Animal Enthusiast

another image of the large and massive male from the mara I posted above, it has a very wide chest. What a beast

United States Styx38 Offline
Banned

@AndresVida

@Luipaard

Hey guys how big do you think is this Gabon male?

Is he over 70kg?

The Leopard could possibly be 75+ kg. I would not be surprised that the Leopard is 80+ kg.

The Congo Leopard looks comparable to Okonjima Leopards.

Gabon male

Okonjima Male

They both look comparable to Mawenzi, an 82 kg Namibian male.

1 user Likes Styx38's post

Luipaard Offline
Leopard enthusiast

(11-21-2022, 04:24 AM)Styx38 Wrote: @AndresVida

@Luipaard

Is he over 70kg?

The Leopard could possibly be 75+ kg. I would not be surprised that the Leopard is 80+ kg.

Gabon male

Okonjima Male

While it's hard to judge because there's nothing to scale to, one cannot ignore his bulkiness. He does look at least equal to Madiba at first sight (the first Okonjima male you posted, who weighed 76kg).

Leopards from the equatorial forests of Central Africa are underrated. Some focus on the few weights there is available (snared individuals) while ignoring their maximum-sized skulls who are lioness-sized. There's also the footage which almost constantly demonstrates robust males. The following male from Gabon is the first male leopard ever caught on a camera trap in Gabon and to this day he remains one of the most robust individuals I've ever seen:

Again it's hard to judge his size (i.e. frame) due to nothing to scale him with. But humans and these leopards have been caught on the same camera trap in the past. Courtesy of Chui:

According to Chui, the man is 170cm tall and weighs 88kg. Here we can see they can possess a large frame alongside their robusteness. Also look at the man's hand and compare it to the wide skull and massive muzzle in the first photo.

Mwk85 Offline
( This post was last modified: 11-23-2022, 02:45 PM by Mwk85 Edit Reason: Misplaced word )

Probably a long shot but has anyone seen or read any news on a young male leopard named Roho? He's from the Maasai Mara National Park in Kenya. I recall him being seen earlier this year possibly in June/July but nothing since.

1 user Likes Mwk85's post

Luipaard Offline
Leopard enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 11-23-2022, 11:38 PM by Luipaard )

(11-23-2022, 02:42 PM)Mwk85 Wrote: Probably a long shot but has anyone seen or read any news on a young male leopard named Roho? He's from the Maasai Mara National Park in Kenya. I recall him being seen earlier this year possibly in June/July but nothing since.

No recent sightings unfortunately. He was last seen near human villages so anything could've happened. His life is a sad story and yet he was doing fine despite all the odds. He had to become an independent male at a very young age, way too young after his mother died due to lions. He started to hunt mongoose and became very successful at it, later he shifted to gazelle and even survived a lioness attack with minor injuries. A true survivor.
3 users Like Luipaard's post

Mwk85 Offline

(11-23-2022, 11:38 PM)Luipaard Wrote:
(11-23-2022, 02:42 PM)Mwk85 Wrote: Probably a long shot but has anyone seen or read any news on a young male leopard named Roho? He's from the Maasai Mara National Park in Kenya. I recall him being seen earlier this year possibly in June/July but nothing since.

No recent sightings unfortunately. He was last seen near human villages so anything could've happened. His life is a sad story and yet he was doing fine despite all the odds. He had to become an independent male at a very young age, way too young after his mother died due to lions. He started to hunt mongoose and became very successful at it, later he shifted to gazelle and even survived a lioness attack with minor injuries. A true survivor.

That's definitely concerning given his last known location and the lack of updates. Thanks for the information, though. Hopefully we'll get news on him at some point in the future.
2 users Like Mwk85's post

Luipaard Offline
Leopard enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 11-29-2022, 09:06 PM by Luipaard )

Mighty Shujaa from Masai Mara

Action shot of Shujaa about to take down a wildebeest calf instantly:

Ivan Glaser Wildlife Photography

Video:

https://fb.watch/h5SCzBuQvI/
2 users Like Luipaard's post

Banned
( This post was last modified: 11-30-2022, 04:01 AM by Styx38 )

(11-22-2022, 09:12 PM)Luipaard Wrote:

@Luipaard

Is he over 70kg?

Gabon male

Okonjima Male

While it's hard to judge because there's nothing to scale to, one cannot ignore his bulkiness. He does look at least equal to Madiba at first sight (the first Okonjima male you posted, who weighed 76kg).

Leopards from the equatorial forests of Central Africa are underrated. Some focus on the few weights there is available (snared individuals) while ignoring their maximum-sized skulls who are lioness-sized. There's also the footage which almost constantly demonstrates robust males. The following male from Gabon is the first male leopard ever caught on a camera trap in Gabon and to this day he remains one of the most robust individuals I've ever seen:

Again it's hard to judge his size (i.e. frame) due to nothing to scale him with. But humans and these leopards have been caught on the same camera trap in the past. Courtesy of Chui:

According to Chui, the man is 170cm tall and weighs 88kg. Here we can see they can possess a large frame alongside their robusteness. Also look at the man's hand and compare it to the wide skull and massive muzzle in the first photo.

I see.

Now, this may sound dumb but which of the Leopards would most likely win in a fight at parity?

1. African Forest Leopard vs. African Savannah Leopard

2. Persian Leopard vs. African Savannah Leopard

3. Persian Leopard vs. African Forest Leopard

Now I think this could go either way if these specimens are the same size, but I want to hear your thoughts on these hypothetical fights.

Italy AndresVida Offline
Animal Enthusiast

Shujaa is just built different, what a tank!

Spain JUJOMORE Offline

(11-30-2022, 03:59 AM)Styx38 Wrote:
(11-22-2022, 09:12 PM)Luipaard Wrote:

@Luipaard

Is he over 70kg?

Gabon male

Okonjima Male

I see.

Now, this may sound dumb but which of the Leopards would most likely win in a fight at parity?

1. African Forest Leopard vs. African Savannah Leopard

2. Persian Leopard vs. African Savannah Leopard

3. Persian Leopard vs. African Forest Leopard

Now I think this could go either way if these specimens are the same size, but I want to hear your thoughts on these hypothetical fights.

The origin, morphotype or subspecies of a leopard does not influence the result of a fight. As long as the size difference is not excessive, the determining factor is the aggressive nature of the individual.

Banned

Here is Vomba, an female leopard from Londolozi.

She looks somewhat big here, almost like a young male Leopard.

Here are her  descendants.

"The Mashaba, Tutlwa and Nhlanguleni females, as well as the Mashaba Young female, are all in the Vomba female’s direct line of descendants."

https://blog.londolozi.com/2015/08/11/le...ba-female/
2 users Like Styx38's post

Italy AndresVida Offline
Animal Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 12-26-2022, 10:47 PM by AndresVida )

one massive male leopard from Kruger, he's got a huge head and a very heavy built which looks even more impressive than Shujaa and Mawenzi IMO

I personally estimate him to be anywhere from 80-86+ kilograms 

4 users Like AndresVida's post

Luipaard Offline
Leopard enthusiast

Split Nose male from Masai Mara, Kenya

Kivuko Africa Adventures
2 users Like Luipaard's post