There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Modern Weights and Measurements of Wild Lions

Germany ZigZak Offline
Banned

(12-11-2022, 11:00 PM)Pckts Wrote:
(12-11-2022, 08:02 PM)ZigZak Wrote: 259kgs (empty stomach) male from Timbavati weighed by the head of the carnivore team in kruger. This Lion is called the "Timbavati male lion", 5 years old, he sired the 3 huge Machaton males also, and was the main Male lion in Kings Camp area in Timbavati around

*This image is copyright of its original author

Still no word on the Vets name?

If you read my post there is still a lot to ask. I personally wrote with him, so you can be sure about it. If you assure me that you wont contact the person until i am done i may give you his name via PM in few days. Luckily he had no problem with his name being shared (for now at least).

Timbavati Lions impressed me. We have 3 male lions that were weighed and those were the lions that dominated the kings camp area. We have the father of the machaton lions who weighed 259 kg without stomach fill at the age of 5. Then we have Ximpoko who weighed c.280 kg (283 kg i believe) with a recent meal and the lion Mabande that was darted alongside with him weighed c.250 kg. I guess he had stomach content but we dont know. There is a male also from a timbavati back then that was named Waza Waza and he apparently weighed 270 kg but the information on that specimen is poor and it sounded lika an estimate.  So dominant lions and thus the fair maximum is around 240-260 kg without stomach fill. Anything above that are exceptions and very large lions.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Modern Weights and Measurements of Wild Lions - ZigZak - 12-12-2022, 12:01 AM