There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Modern Weights and Measurements of Leopards

Italy AndresVida Offline
Animal Enthusiast

(07-25-2021, 12:59 AM)TheNormalGuy Wrote: Try this on google scholar : "Panthera pardus" "Weight" "kg" or simply "Panthera Pardus" "kg"

It will become way easier for you to find weights.
Well the sample you gave is only from Tandoureh while it excludes Golestan, Mazaran and the other area where the 88 kg male was captured (including the other area where the 95 kg male was euthanized, which I don't remember the name).
Furthermore that sample is more than incomplete, the
61 kg average is derived from a range that has as max only 75 kgs which is not an accurate claim since we know that persian leopards, being the largest leopard population, would have 90-95 kg as max and not only 75 kg so that sample, being only from Tandoureh, is far from being enough to determine a final average for North persian leopards since it's missing all the 80+ kg males. Even a few Indian leopards, smaller than both African and Persian leoparda have been reported to reach 80 kg but the largest confirmed is 78 kg. 

Second, about searching Panthera Pardus kg, 
I've done that already several times, thing is that I'm not focusing myself on Panthera Pardus generally, cause Google gives me even weight of the smallest subspecies which I'm not interested at atm, but on Panthera Pardus Saxicolor and more specifically the north Iranian population.

Since all sites seem to be more likely outdated right now, they mostly include weights from all Persian Leopard populations including the ones from south that produce 40-65 kg males which are unimpressive. The thing is that, idk if you read my previous post on page 17, there's a chance that North Persian leopards could average almost like Pantanal Jaguaresses, between mid to high 70s. If this is true you know what the result could be? This would make the largest Leopard subspecies bigger on average than the largest Cougar subspecies and debunk the idea that these leopards average 67 kg while it could be some or multiple kgs more.
And since there is no sample yet that includes ONLY North Iranian males, I'm interested to find out their true real average to see if they can be really close to pantanal jaguaresses and slightly larger than Patagonian cougars.

This is why I'm not searching simply "panthera Pardus" since internet always gives the same average of 60 kg which is likely outdated since there are even African leopard populations pushing around 69-70 kg as average.
But yes if we include all leopard subspecies even the smallest ones from Cape and Arabia the total average is around 60 kg for males.

But we already know that since dawn of time, now I'm interested exclusively in north Iranian males where most 80-90 kg males have been recorded.
 Even Pckts notices a kind of frequency for these leopards growing larger when he said, on a Carnivora thread :

"
My guess would be that they are the largest Leopards alive today and average around mid to high 70s.

There are 3 different specimen from that area that have reached above 80kg so just the frequency of that, I'd say it's likely.

Just based off the two conversations I have going and the males I've been shown, I think if we broke down the population to just the Northern Specimens, I'd imagine the mid to high 70kg would be likely although I can't confirm that and obviously Farhadinia holds more weight than me. But if a Leopard sub species is producing multiple 80kg + specimen, I'd say there is a good chance  for a decent average, I guess slightly below Pantanal Females only because we've not seen a 100kg specimen yet, let alone multiples but it's certainly close. "

Of course this is just an estimate so that's why I'm so interested in seeing if it is true or not, just to confirm or debunk it.
Fact is that this could be a revolutionary fact for leopard and put it on a bigger size level than before.
Since always it has been said Persians leopards averaged only 65-66 kgs, now there's the possibility that one persian population could exceed Cougar averages (Cougar always seen as the bigger animal till these days) and reducing distance from Pantanal jaguaresses. 
Can't you feel the difference?

That's why I'm so interested in it. This could really change things, leopards are known to average generally 56-65 kg worldwide so an average close to 80 kgs (that's what high 70s means) could be an excellent discovery wouldn't it? But of course this is just an estimate atm. 
We need verification to approve it.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Modern Weights and Measurements of Leopards - AndresVida - 07-25-2021, 02:14 AM