There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The Cave Lion (Panthera spelaea and Panthera fossilis)

United States Stripedlion2 Offline

(07-30-2020, 02:21 AM)GrizzlyClaws Wrote:
(07-30-2020, 01:21 AM)Stripedlion2 Wrote: So cave lions are a distinct species but are closest related to the lion today.

Maybe the difference is similar to today's mainland clouded leopard/sunda clouded leopard, chimpanzee/bonobo, eastern/western gorilla.

(08-25-2020, 07:12 AM)GuateGojira Wrote:
(08-25-2020, 06:18 AM)Stripedlion2 Wrote: Makes sense kind of like the jaguar and leopard they look very similar but the jaguar is stockier but they aren’t the same species. I remember when people would argue that cave lions were actually tigers on the internet that was intense. 
But scientists in South Korea and I think Siberian scientists are going to use the african lioness as the surrogate for the cave lion African lion hybrid .

Jaguars and leopards are an interesting analogy, because the leopard is more related with the lion than with the jaguar, but even then they share more analogies in the coat pattern. However in the body, leopards are close to the lions than to the jaguars, the form of the skull is similar while the jaguar differ in many traits.

To use a lion as a surrogate is like use an Asian elephant for mamut, they may be related but they are not the same species. I think that I have saw too many Jurassic Park/World movies to say that resurrecting prehistoric animals is a very bad idea.

Yeah jaguars are stocky built for power. The owner of the Pleistocene park said he would like to have cave lions at the park just whenever he gets enough herbivores to be at the park and reproduce . Some parts of Canada and Alaska could work too for a habitat but for now it seems like Pleistocene park/Siberia is the ideal place to put them if they are brought back. 

But I don’t know what cave lion they will use to bring them back most of the cubs and tissue they got were cave lions from Siberia and yutika so I’m guessing  those are beringian cave lions. But like 2 cubs are from 40-55,000 years ago I’m guessing those are the Eurasian cave lions but I think it’s interesting we may see cave lion/African lion hybrids in our lifetimes but it will be tough and it’s going to be a long journey we’ve never brought a BIG cat back from extinction. But for now I’m reading a lot about tigers in northern India,lions in South Africa,and jags in the pantanal. Soon I’ll start reading about cougars in Canada and Persian leopards.
1 user Likes Stripedlion2's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Cave Lion (Panthera spelaea and Panthera fossilis) - Stripedlion2 - 08-25-2020, 07:29 AM