There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ape Strength: Myth vs Reality

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 12-12-2018, 01:33 PM by Shadow )

(12-12-2018, 12:29 PM)Spalea Wrote: Gorillas, compared with bears, are not very demonstrativ animals...

... Excepted when they are breaking the glass !

Nevertheless we are able to see they are very very very impressive ! In the french language we often qualify a bodyguard as being "un gorille" ! No one man is a gorilla... Anatomically speaking the gorillas are on an "other league". Just look at their arms !
Yes I have seen these and I don´t find here anything particularly special. One stone which any strong man could move in pretty much same way. Of course that is with ease, but then again bears do just the same and effortlessly.

That breaking a glass could have been old glass with manufacturing defect or just "worn out" and lucky gorilla. Then again bears have broken some glasses by throwing stones in zoos. Anyway we have many gorillas in zoos for decades and there is no issue with these glasses like gorillas would be able to break through. If that would happen all the time it would be something for what I would be giving more credit, but this looks to be a combination of good luck and possible bad quality of glass. I edited this part of my answer, because I replied firstly a little bit sloppy.

I think, that these two videos are very familiar to all, who are interested about gorillas. Also that banana tree video is very familiar and probably most people here have seen it. I can understand why these videos can be seen showing, that gorillas are strong, but I personally am not so impressed because of reasons I said. I mean I don´t see here anything extraordinary compared to other animals what comes to strength yet. For instance a horse same weight giving a kick with hind legs would most probably also been breaking that glass.

But of course it is nice to hear if different kind of thoughts about what can be seen in those videos and reasoning.
2 users Like Shadow's post

Messages In This Thread
Ape Strength - Polar - 05-31-2016, 03:34 AM
RE: Ape Strength - brotherbear - 05-31-2016, 12:41 PM
RE: Ape Strength - brotherbear - 06-01-2016, 08:22 PM
RE: Ape Strength - Polar - 06-08-2016, 02:55 AM
RE: Ape Strength - brotherbear - 06-08-2016, 11:25 AM
RE: Ape Strength - Polar - 06-08-2016, 03:04 AM
RE: Ape Strength - Polar - 07-07-2016, 03:18 AM
RE: Ape Strength - Polar - 07-12-2016, 07:03 AM
RE: Ape Strength - Polar - 07-05-2017, 07:57 AM
RE: Ape Strength - Polar - 07-05-2017, 08:03 AM