There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 3 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
Impressive Wild Jaguars - Pictures and Videos

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(10-08-2020, 02:06 AM)KRA123 Wrote: Edno is clearly huge and Balam looks pretty big too. Either one could be as big as Lopez. Tusk doesn't really look to be in their size class to me. I actually think the local conservation organizations should commit to/make a point of weighing those very large specimens. If they are already weighing jaguars anyway, they might as well help to nail down some fairly significant information - the maximum size attained by the species. Of course, that isn't essential information for conservation, but like I said, they are already capturing and weighing jaguars anyway. Or am I missing something? How do they usually select which individuals they capture?

Panthera actually still holds the right to capture a few more on their existing license, at least that was the case when I was out there.
Panthera's facility is a few miles away from the Meeting of the 3 rivers, it's an old farming facility, you actually boat by it on your way back to Porto Jofre.
That is where they generally capture their cats, so there is a possibility that the cats they capture may not even be the same you see at the meeting of the 3 rivers, but of course these Jaguars go too and from so who knows for sure. Plus they are constantly being pushed out and replaced by new territorial males. The most recent captures had to do with the fires if I'm not mistaken, these cats weren't part of the Corridor project that Panthera is researching. 
Lastly was that Panthera for whatever reason stopped their captures in recent days, I don't know if that changed now but that was the case when I was there last year.
2 users Like Pckts's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Impressive Wild Jaguars - Jubatus - 06-30-2014, 09:45 PM
RE: Impressive Wild Jaguars - Pictures and Videos - Pckts - 10-08-2020, 02:30 AM