There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Modern Weights and Measurements of Wild Cougars

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 12-18-2020, 08:45 PM by Balam )

More information on Patagonia specimens.

I had a talk today again with the biologist Wayaja Vargas who is by far one of the most knowledgeable people on cougars from the Chilean Patagonia, he sent me the following study in which the weights for a few captures specimens were recorded:

From; EL PUMA, ANTECEDENTES DE SU CONSERVACIÓN Y MANEJO EN MAGALLANES, by Jose Cabello

*This image is copyright of its original author

Size and weight

The cougars that inhabit the region of Magallanes are considered the largest representatives of their species alongside those found in Canada, reaching an average weight between 65 to 85 kg, in contrast to those from Central America that average 30 kg. In Magallanes the males have a weight range from 45 to 70 kg. Three males captured by us weighed 63.5, 65, and 70 kg. According to literature, males are up to 60% heavier than females, situation corroborated by our fieldwork: 2 captured females weighed 40 kg each, unlike the males whom all surpassed 60 kg in sight (average of 66 kg)

Adult male of 7 years of age and a sight of 70 kg. Captured in the Laguna Azul area

Top: female of three years of age
Bottom: male of seven years of age

Wayaja reiterated to me that the one male captured in Torres del Paine National Park did weight 110 kg, but the team that captured him lost track of him as he left the area. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be scientific records on this male, but he's an authority on these cats and the information provided on that specimen is very valuable.

I asked him what his estimations would be the very popular dominant tom Nahuel is, whom I've posted here numerous times, and he said he thinks he weighs between 95 and 100 kg. Then he told me that Nahuel is not the largest tom in the reserve, he's seen a larger male named El Loco (Crazy in English), whom he estimates weighs 110 kg, similar to the captured male whose tracks were lost:

Nahuel or Oscuro (Dark)

El Loco

3 users Like Balam's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Modern Weights and Measurements of Wild Cougars - Balam - 12-18-2020, 06:54 PM