There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crocodile and Big cats Interaction

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

(02-20-2021, 01:27 PM)Styx38 Wrote:
(02-18-2021, 05:11 AM)Balam Wrote:
(02-18-2021, 04:44 AM)Styx38 Wrote:
(02-17-2021, 02:29 AM)Balam Wrote:
(02-17-2021, 02:05 AM)Styx38 Wrote:
(02-17-2021, 12:27 AM)Balam Wrote:
(02-13-2021, 10:45 AM)Styx38 Wrote: Leopard with Crocodile kill.

"December 3, 2016. Road above Borupanwila in Wilpattu. After lunch our safari driver Ajith told us to go for a walk without resting so we started our journey in the jeep. Ajith said that there was a tiger parked on the road above Borupanwila but we could not see anything. At the same time, the tiger ran across the road and jumped to the other side unimaginably fast‍. Disappointed, we put our cameras on the seats and stared at the empty road. At the same time, the tiger was dragged by the neck of a huge crocodile and came running across the road again."

*This image is copyright of its original author

link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Wild.Wilpatthu/permalink/2429979577104089

This was not a kill, it was posted originally here and according to OP the encounter lasted 1.5 hours, in which the crocodile ended up prevailing:

The only mention of the Crocodile escaping was from that Chinese Forum.

When I saw the facebook posts for the actual Sri Lankan poster, I did not find any mention of the Crocodile escaping.

They were amazed at a unique photo of a Leopard catching a Crocodile, and the main poster was whining that he did not send it to Nat Geo due to thinking it was an amateur photo.

Quote:The only mention of the Crocodile escaping was from that Chinese Forum.

The "Chinese site" had a post on the interaction dating back to 2017, the Facebook post was made in 2020, in the 2017 post the name of the guide is mentioned and later corroborated by the Facebook post, so it wasn't any random post, not to mention that in the 2017 post the picture included is that of the actual camera showing the shot in it.

Quote:When I saw the facebook posts for the actual Sri Lankan poster, I did not find any mention of the Crocodile escaping.

And in the Facebook post there is no mention of the leopard killing the crocodile either:

The translation is rough, but it could be applied that the crocodile returned to the scene later on, no mention of successful predation or kill is specified here. What is specified is that they could not focus clearly on the scene, so any derived conclusion of the leopard killing the crocodile would be false.

Quote:They were amazed at a unique photo of a Leopard catching a Crocodile, and the main poster was whining that he did not send it to Nat Geo due to thinking it was an amateur photo.

I scrolled through the comments as well, nowhere in there does the photographer states that the leopard killed the crocodile, other commenters unrelated to the scene are the ones doing that. He states that it wouldn't have been the first case a leopard would have hunted a crocodile without stating that that specific situation ended up with the crocodile dead, it is likely he wanted to say "attempted to hunt a crocodile". 
In fact, in your last screenshot he clearly said that the scene was not fully captured, so to look at that and arrive at the conclusion that the leopard killed the crocodile is dishonest.

1. The Chinese poster did not post a link for that incident, so he could have made it up.

2. The facebook post translation, both from google translate and on my phone states that the Leopard dragged the Crocodile away in a rough translation. That is where it ends. The remainder of the comments are celebrating this event, with a couple of comments even joking that the Crocodile is a tasty meal. So there is more or less an implication that the Leopard got the Crocodile as a meal.

Quote:For crocodiles killed that are closer to the size of leopards (one case in Africa and another, different, alleged case in Sri Lanka) the crocodile is always inland, and with the African case, the desertic and dry terrain leads us to suggest that the crocodile was dehydrated and emaciated, this is very much common sense.

Interesting how you accuse us as either being dishonest or having a strong Leopard bias, but you make up your own theories.

For the Leopard killing the Crocodile in Africa, the photographer himself stated that the Leopard actually jumped in the water to catch the Crocodile.

Mobile version:

"I was photographing hippos at a waterhole in Kruger National Park South Africa when out of nowhere, a speeding shape comes out of the bush and hits the water. I swing my camera and begin shooting before I even know what it is. I realize, looking through the lens, that it is a leopard that has snatched a crocodile from the water. They tumble and fight for less than a minute before the leopard begins dragging the crocodile up the bank and back into the bush. It disappears into the grass. Two minutes later it appears again farther into the bush, the bloody crocodile now hangs lifeless and limp from its jaws. I wanted so badly to follow them"

News article version:

"The American wildlife photographer was taking pictures of hippos from his car at a waterhole in Kruger National Park when a speeding shape came out of the bushes and headed for the water.
After an initial struggle, onlookers stared in disbelief as the leopard emerged dragging a thrashing crocodile up the bank.
With its' snout pointing upwards, the crocodile snapped and attempted to fight back as the predators flipped and tumbled in a dramatic battle.
But the leopard, who had it caught by the throat, remained in control as the crocodile's legs clawed frantically at the cat's belly, its jaws snapping at air.
"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...odile.html

For the Sri Lankan one, we do not know how long the Crocodile was on dry land. 

However, Wilpattu is considered a wetland, so the Crocodile may have not been out that long on land.

1. How many times will this have to be explained? The poster mentioned the name of the guide and the picture shown is of the camera itself. This is information and footage that only someone who was present in the event could've had, and since the post was made a year after the incident and much before the Facebook post, it takes precedent over the most recent one (not that the two posts were contradicting themselves to begin with). You said the crocodile had been killed, that was a lie.

2. Why are you trying to use the opinions of random posters who were not present in the event and did not see it happen firsthand? What weight do their opinions have? None. They are simply stating hyperbolic statements because they were amused at the event. You trying to discredit someone who had firsthand pictures and information on the case while using random people unrelated to it to try to corroborate your claims because you do not like that the leopard did not kill the crocodile as you wished it had is indeed deceptive and an example of extreme bias. 

I can make my own theories the way you and others were making here, the difference is that I'm not making definitive statements and claiming a specific outcome when I don't have the information to make those statements and where different posts have suggested something different. 

Quote:For the Leopard killing the Crocodile in Africa, the photographer himself stated that the Leopard actually jumped in the water to catch the Crocodile.

By all means, link the "mobile version" here to read it thoroughly, certainly the DialyMail article did not mention anything about the leopard pulling the crocodile out of the water.

Quote:1. How many times will this have to be explained? The poster mentioned the name of the guide and the picture shown is of the camera itself. This is information and footage that only someone who was present in the event could've had, and since the post was made a year after the incident and much before the Facebook post, it takes precedent over the most recent one (not that the two posts were contradicting themselves to begin with). You said the crocodile had been killed, that was a lie.

2. Why are you trying to use the opinions of random posters who were not present in the event and did not see it happen firsthand? What weight do their opinions have? None. They are simply stating hyperbolic statements because they were amused at the event. You trying to discredit someone who had firsthand pictures and information on the case while using random people unrelated to it to try to corroborate your claims because you do not like that the leopard did not kill the crocodile as you wished it had is indeed deceptive and an example of extreme bias. 

Shouldn't you be switching the people?

The Chinese poster posted a picture with his own word and no actual link. He can use the name of the guide along with a photo, and add his own story.   That seems to be common in those forums. 

The main guy  stated that the Leopard dragged away the Crocodile. No further mention of an extra struggle or the Crocodile getting away.

The "random posters" looked to either be his friends or discussion group members. He would have replied to them more since they all further state that the Crocodile formed the meal or praise him for the shot.

Thus, it seems from that facebook post the Leopard killed the Crocodile. There is no deception apart for that Chinese forum.

Quote:By all means, link the "mobile version" here to read it thoroughly, certainly the DialyMail article did not mention anything about the leopard pulling the crocodile out of the water.

Really?.

Cause the DailyMail article gave a good description here:

"The American wildlife photographer was taking pictures of hippos from his car at a waterhole in Kruger National Park when a speeding shape came out of the bushes and headed for the water.

After an initial struggle, onlookers stared in disbelief as the leopard emerged dragging a thrashing crocodile up the bank."

Seems to have dragged the Crocodile out of the water and out of dry land.

Here is a more precise description of the incident from a Kenyan Newsletter.

"The photographs were taken by Hal Brindley, an American wildlife photographer, who was supposed to be taking pictures of hippos from his car in the Kruger National Park. The giant cat raced out of cover provided by scrub and bushes to surprise the crocodile, which was swimming nearby.

Eventually, onlookers were amazed to see the leopard drag the crocodile from the water as the reptile fought back"

https://safariguides.org/media/uploads/K...l_2010.pdf

Quote:I can make my own theories the way you and others were making here, the difference is that I'm not making definitive statements and claiming a specific outcome when I don't have the information to make those statements and where different posts have suggested something different.

Simple. Don't make bold claims if you have a theory but no legitimate evidence.

You could have easily avoided posting this. 

You acted like your theory was so obvious without any actual research on that part with the "common sense" remark.

Quote:For crocodiles killed that are closer to the size of leopards (one case in Africa and another, different, alleged case in Sri Lanka) the crocodile is always inland, and with the African case, the desertic and dry terrain leads us to suggest that the crocodile was dehydrated and emaciated, this is very much common sense.

It should be noted that not a single thing in this replies contradicts the points I made before or gives proof to substantiate the claims that the leopard killed the crocodile in the Yala interaction. So the verdict can be concluded that you lied to try to hype the leopard, jumping to conclusions with very little to no further evidence to substantiate your claims.

I'm not going on circles on this, the leopard did not kill the crocodile. End of discussion.
1 user Likes Balam's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Crocodile and Big cats Interaction - Balam - 02-20-2021, 04:34 PM