There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crocodile and Big cats Interaction

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

Quote:And how do you know for sure the post wasn't just copy paste? Once again we have a poster on a Chinese forum and on the other hand we have a native witness who kindly shared a photo of his experience back in 2016.

What does the post being a copy has anything to do with its authenticity? The post described the name on the guide and later shared a picture of the interaction coming from the camera itself. Whether it was initially posted on a different site and later pasted to a different one is irrelevant, the point is that the event was described there as well. You don't know if whoever made the post there was not a different tourist on the same safari who 
"kindly" chose to share it on that platform as well. What you're doing is trying to dismiss one of the claims of the event by someone who witnessed it because it doesn't suit your biases.

Quote:The crocodile did not return... You're basing this off the translation button you used on Facebook. Here's the translation once again:

I'm sorry is this supposed to be a valid argument? Facebook uses its own translation tool, which for a company its size I would assume would have to be very refined. Do you speak Sinhala to corroborate that the translation was erroneous? (I remember you liking posts that were questioning my understanding of Portuguese so perhaps you can elaborate on your multilingual abilities) Or are you simply adjusting it to better suit you? Not to mention on that second translation there is no mention of the leopard killing the crocodile which was the initial claim made.

Quote:It appeared to be overpowered based on the account with the right translation in combination with the photographs. This has nothing to do with bias. The account and photos clearly state the leopard rushed out of nowhere across the road and returned with a crocodile hanging in its jaws. I don't know about you, but that tells me it overpowered the crocodile. Otherwise it wouldn't be able to drag it back from where it came, it would've been struggling at the place they engaged.

You can choose to see it as overpowering, that is your personal interpretation. That, however, was not mentioned in any of the posts. In order for the crocodile to have been overpowered the leopard would have killed it quickly, and since it failed to do so it could also be inferred that the crocodile fought throughout the way and the leopard simply could not subdue it or restrain it to cause enough damage and hold onto it until it died. That's far from overpowering in my view.

Quote:This is pretty ignorant to be honest. I have no evidence to suggest it managed to overpower the crocodile based on the account and photos but you can somehow conclude it was in an disadvantageous position? So you're 100% there are no ponds, lakes, rivers etc present nearby? That this was a mugger crocodile that got lost? No you cannot.

Do you even read what you say before posting? I don't have to be a genius to know that inland is not the most suitable habitat for a crocodilian, there is a reason why their bodies have the dimensions that they have, they are adapted to an aquatic environment. Whether there were ponds or lakes around is irrelevant, the crocodile was on land and the leopard took its chance because it (the crocodile) was in a disadvantageous position. This is common sense.

Quote:It's not fighting back because it can't do anything at this point. At best it's struggling but so does every animal when it's being predated on. You're looking at a crocodile that's being killed by a leopard via suffocation, at least that's what it looks like.

If it's not doing much is because it is not in its prime habitat, as mentioned before (thanks for proving my point), nonetheless the picture clearly shows the crocodile swirling its neck to the size, a clear sign that it was trying to unhook the leopard from its neck, that is fighting back, and clearly it worked because no kill was made at the end.

Quote:Leopards have attacked/killed crocodiles of similar size before. I can post evidence if you desire.

It's once again ignorant of you to think that it won't have any major injuries since you don't even know if it survived in the first place. The leopard is holding the crocodile in its jaws for Christ sake, the odds are in favour of the leopard this time wether you like it or not. But then again you believe that leopards can only kill crocodiles that are either dehydrated or young ones for whatever reason.

I think you know very well that nothing you post here concerning leopard-crocodile interactions will be news to me. Most of the time the crocodiles killed by leopards represent opportunistic kills yes, you let your bias cloud your judgment sometimes and take issue when others view these feats by leopards with a more objective point of view. For crocodiles killed that are closer to the size of leopards (one case in Africa and another, different, alleged case in Sri Lanka) the crocodile is always inland, and with the African case, the desertic and dry terrain leads us to suggest that the crocodile was dehydrated and emaciated, this is very much common sense. All other kills are of crocodiles much smaller than the leopard, which is to be expected since size differences are crucial in interspecific killings.

The point being, the leopard did not kill the crocodile as it was alleged in the post above, there's not much else to discuss.
2 users Like Balam's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Crocodile and Big cats Interaction - Balam - 02-17-2021, 04:45 AM