There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

South Africa Rabubi Offline

(06-11-2024, 11:29 PM)Ngonya Wrote: there is a puddle right behind them, they are definitely wet/dirty

That is true. I was looking for a pic of the Msuthlu cubs that showed them having similar darkness in their fur. However, when I took a look at the Msuthlu thread to find those photos cubs I saw a pic that showed them looking like any usual cub. I guess the fur was wet from the morning dew, etc.
2 users Like Rabubi's post

United Kingdom NLAL11 Online

Mala Mala Game Report May 2024

THE SAND RIVER PRIDE = 5
2 ADULT FEMALES ± 5 YEARS 10 MONTHS
1 ADULT FEMALE 4 YEARS 4 MONTHS
1 SUB-ADULT FEMALE 3 YEARS 9 MONTHS
2 SUB-ADULT FEMALES 2 YEARS 9 MONTHS
CUBS ± 2 MONTHS
SOUTHERN CHARLESTON
(2 sightings)

Five lionesses were seen with two Nkhulu males on the 25th at KK Crossing and one lioness killed a
kudu in the Sand River at Rocky Crossing on the 31st.

OTHER LIONS ENCOUNTERED:
• STYX PRIDE (5 sightings) – Four lionesses and one young male from the Styx pride were
in the Sand River north of Trollip’s Crossing on the 11th. Two days later, they were
feeding on a buffalo kill in the Sand River, south of Beaumont’s Camp where they stayed
until the 14th. On the 30th, three lionesses killed a buffalo cow in the Sand River at the
confluence of the Rock Drift Donga and were joined by a fourth lioness the next day.
• 4-WAYS PRIDE (4 sightings) – Two lionesses and three sub-adult males were seen on the
25th to the south of Lion Rocks and on the 28th near the Borehole in eastern Flockfield.
On the 30th, they were found feeding on an elephant bull carcass south of Paddy’s Pools
where they stayed feasting on the remains until the following day.
• MASUTU [Msutlu/Msuthlu] PRIDE (1 sighting) – Two females and 3 cubs (4-6 months old) were seen on
the 17th with the Gijima males on a buffalo kill to the south of Beaumont’s Camp. This is
the breakaway group from the Talamati Pride.
• NKHULU MALES (2 sightings) – Two males were with members of the Sand River pride at
KK Crossing on the 25th and one male was at Rocky Crossing on the 30th.
• GIJIMA MALES (2 sightings) – One male was seen on the access road to Trollip’s Camp on
the 7th. Two males were with the Masutu pride on the 17th, feeding on the remains of a
buffalo kill to the south of Beaumont’s Camp.
• Two UNIDENTIFIED MALES were seen along the northern parts of the Mlowathi River on
the 5th.
• One UNIDENTIFIED MALE was seen at Charleston Rocks on the 24th.
3 users Like NLAL11's post

Romania Cath2020 Offline

So there's at least 4 S. Avoca Daughters with the core pride! We all know there were 12 offspring total initially of various ages....2 cubs were killed and at least 2 males.  This leaves 8.  Overall, there could be an extra 5th female or 4th male!
1 user Likes Cath2020's post

Romania Cath2020 Offline
( This post was last modified: 06-12-2024, 08:35 PM by Cath2020 )

They stated 5 in the report, but the number they put down equals 6... Either they made an error, or there's another female away from the pride.  Not clearly explained at all
1 user Likes Cath2020's post

Belgium criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

In a surprising but great twist, the second Southern. Black Dam male has re-emerged alive.

8 users Like criollo2mil's post

United Kingdom KM600 Offline

(06-13-2024, 02:47 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: In a surprising but great twist, the second Southern. Black Dam male has re-emerged alive.  

Brilliant news. A shame his brother left him for the time being but atleast he’s still alive. Hopefully we get a video of him walking to see the condition he’s in.
7 users Like KM600's post

( This post was last modified: 06-13-2024, 03:21 PM by KM600 )

@Redroadmale Gonna delete this comment in the next few hours so when u see it just screenshot or whatever. 

Twitter link 

[tweet]YourLink[/tweet]
Make sure the X part of the link is changed to ‘Twitter’ for it to work. 

Insta link 

[insta]YourLink[/insta]

YouTube link is just pasting ur YouTube link into the YouTube button under ‘Quick Reply’ so under all the tweets for the day. 

For ur own videos / photos just use the ‘I’ in the black box under hidden reply.

Bottom left is for ur own photos / videos and top right is for YouTube links. 

*This image is copyright of its original author
2 users Like KM600's post

United States sik94 Offline
Sikander Hayat

This is definitely something new. I don't think I have seen another situation where a member of a coalition just goes off on his own like that, his brother hasn't been killed, he didn't lose a territorial dispute and get pushed away, he just left. Interesting stuff.
4 users Like sik94's post

(06-13-2024, 03:46 PM)sik94 Wrote: This is definitely something new. I don't think I have seen another situation where a member of a coalition just goes off on his own like that, his brother hasn't been killed, he didn't lose a territorial dispute and get pushed away, he just left. Interesting stuff.

Could have simply been him losing track of his brother or believing his brother could not keep up. One thing is for certain, it must have been a valid reason as he ventured thru Manyeleti into Timbivati by himself.
6 users Like KM600's post

(06-13-2024, 02:59 PM)KM600 Wrote:
(06-13-2024, 02:47 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: In a surprising but great twist, the second Southern. Black Dam male has re-emerged alive.  

Brilliant news. A shame his brother left him for the time being but atleast he’s still alive. Hopefully we get a video of him walking to see the condition he’s in.

At least he doesn't look any worse. I wonder if he'll be able to follow his brother's scent trail, or if it's already 'gone cold' as they say.
4 users Like NLAL11's post

(06-12-2024, 08:35 PM)Cath2020 Wrote: They stated 5 in the report, but the number they put down equals 6... Either they made an error, or there's another female away from the pride.  Not clearly explained at all

Yeah it was strange... I noticed another kind of 'clerical' mistake, it seems they don't proofread the reports too carefully.

Let's hope for a better, more informative update about them.
3 users Like NLAL11's post

United States BA0701 Online
Super Moderator

(06-13-2024, 03:21 PM)KM600 Wrote: @Redroadmale Gonna delete this comment in the next few hours so when u see it just screenshot or whatever. 

Twitter link 

[tweet]YourLink[/tweet]

Insta link 

[insta]YourLink[/insta]

YouTube link is just pasting ur YouTube link into the YouTube button under ‘Quick Reply’ so under all the tweets for the day. 

For ur own videos / photos just use the ‘I’ in the black box under hidden reply.

I would ask that you not delete this, it is good information, for many. In fact, with your permission, I would like to add this to the Guides section.
3 users Like BA0701's post

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor

3 users Like Mdz123's post

T I N O Online
Moderators

Sons of the Charleston males

On our way back to Earth Lodge we found tracks of lions, so we decided to attempt a quick follow up before returning to the lodge for breakfast. Ruan and his tracker Donald decided to track on foot where they found more tracks of the lions heading further west into our reserve. They returned to their vehicle and made their way around the area and were duly rewarded when they found two young males with a young female on a buffalo carcass they managed to take down. They were all lying next to the kill, panting heavily as they had had their fair share of meat already. 

Vultures were already busy gathering in the area and with these lions being in the territory of other lions, they will try and finish this kill as quickly as possible and move on, as they know vultures diving down will attract the attention of nearby predators that might lead to trouble for them.

10 users Like T I N O's post

(06-13-2024, 05:32 PM)BA0701 Wrote:
(06-13-2024, 03:21 PM)KM600 Wrote: @Redroadmale Gonna delete this comment in the next few hours so when u see it just screenshot or whatever. 

Twitter link 

[tweet]YourLink[/tweet]

Insta link 

[insta]YourLink[/insta]

I would ask that you not delete this, it is good information, for many. In fact, with your permission, I would like to add this to the Guides section.

Just didn’t want to disrupt the news of the BDM. Feel free to use it in the guides section.
3 users Like KM600's post