There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Tanzania (Serengeti, Ngorongoro and others)

Mwk85 Offline

(06-08-2024, 12:51 AM)BA0701 Wrote:
(06-08-2024, 12:49 AM)Mwk85 Wrote:
(06-07-2024, 09:13 PM)BA0701 Wrote:
(06-07-2024, 10:15 AM)Mwk85 Wrote:
(06-07-2024, 07:10 AM)Redroadmale Wrote: Maybe the one that died is the saba Bora male that's always skinny

There may not be a dead lion at all. I found new information that may potentially invalidate the information in my original post. Apologies.

False information/rumor seems to have been happening a lot lately, with the unknown blond maned male in western sector which turned out to be entirely fake, etc... What the community needs to start doing is tracing back to whom the original information came from. If it is a normally trusted source, who made a mistake, fine, those things happen. But if it appears to be someone who is trying to sew discord into the community, then to identify those people would be helpful.

Appears to have been a case of misidentification in this instance

Great to know, thank you, for the update! So, all of the Saba Bora boys are still alive then?

I haven't seen anything to indicate that any of the 7 are gone. The one that people refer to as the leader of the coalition was recently sighted with a female and young cubs.
1 user Likes Mwk85's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(06-08-2024, 01:06 AM)Mwk85 Wrote:
(06-08-2024, 12:51 AM)BA0701 Wrote:
(06-08-2024, 12:49 AM)Mwk85 Wrote:
(06-07-2024, 09:13 PM)BA0701 Wrote:
(06-07-2024, 10:15 AM)Mwk85 Wrote:
(06-07-2024, 07:10 AM)Redroadmale Wrote: Maybe the one that died is the saba Bora male that's always skinny

There may not be a dead lion at all. I found new information that may potentially invalidate the information in my original post. Apologies.

False information/rumor seems to have been happening a lot lately, with the unknown blond maned male in western sector which turned out to be entirely fake, etc... What the community needs to start doing is tracing back to whom the original information came from. If it is a normally trusted source, who made a mistake, fine, those things happen. But if it appears to be someone who is trying to sew discord into the community, then to identify those people would be helpful.

Appears to have been a case of misidentification in this instance

Great to know, thank you, for the update! So, all of the Saba Bora boys are still alive then?

I haven't seen anything to indicate that any of the 7 are gone. The one that people refer to as the leader of the coalition was recently sighted with a female and young cubs.

Thank you for the updates, my friend!
2 users Like BA0701's post

Mwk85 Offline

Rollo, 1/3 Golden Boys. All three have been seen recently so there was indeed no altercation with the Saba Bora males.

Super Moderator

(06-09-2024, 05:15 AM)Mwk85 Wrote: Rollo, 1/3 Golden Boys. All three have been seen recently so there was indeed no altercation with the Saba Bora males.

Great to know that the lion believed to have been dead, seems to have, apparently, just been resting. I assume he was one of the Golden Boys, but if all members of both groups are well, seems nothing serious has happened.
1 user Likes BA0701's post

Mwk85 Offline

(06-09-2024, 06:34 AM)BA0701 Wrote:
(06-09-2024, 05:15 AM)Mwk85 Wrote: Rollo, 1/3 Golden Boys. All three have been seen recently so there was indeed no altercation with the Saba Bora males.

Great to know that the lion believed to have been dead, seems to have, apparently, just been resting. I assume he was one of the Golden Boys, but if all members of both groups are well, seems nothing serious has happened.

The skinny male lion lying in the grass and the skinny male lion standing on the road were both confirmed to be 2 of the Saba Bora males. So the 3 Golden Boys are good and at least 2/7 Saba Bora males are in rough shape. I'm still seeing reports of a dead lion but no idea as to who it may be.

Super Moderator
( This post was last modified: 06-10-2024, 05:03 AM by BA0701 )

(06-09-2024, 08:47 AM)Mwk85 Wrote:
(06-09-2024, 06:34 AM)BA0701 Wrote:

The skinny male lion lying in the grass and the skinny male lion standing on the road were both confirmed to be 2 of the Saba Bora males. So the 3 Golden Boys are good and at least 2/7 Saba Bora males are in rough shape. I'm still seeing reports of a dead lion but no idea as to who it may be.

Speaking of the Golden Boys, this post was recently made on Instagram, and it implies that one male who was lying down was likely one of the Saba Bora boys, and was possibly dead. So many stories coming out, at the moment, it is hard to know which one is right. These boys are looking great, though!

2 users Like BA0701's post

Mwk85 Offline

Bit of a breakdown on the current status of the Saba Bora males. Looks like 3 three of them prefer to hang together away from the others and cubs are being killed by different members of the coalition. Mr. T (Mapogo) type situation possibly.

Ngonya Offline

(06-17-2024, 03:04 PM)Mwk85 Wrote: Bit of a breakdown on the current status of the Saba Bora males. Looks like 3 three of them prefer to hang together away from the others and cubs are being killed by different members of the coalition. Mr. T (Mapogo) type situation possibly.
i guess that should already be expected of such a large coalition.

9 male lions are no joke. They definitly dont hang out together and are going (if not already) split. 

Btw is he even sure the boy on the pic is 1/9 Saba Bora? He looks really old. 
If hes Saba Bora, he definitly have been throught many fights!
2 users Like Ngonya's post

Ngonya Offline

May 11

The injured Saba Bora male with two brothers. According to guides, it seems like he was hit by something in the back and is having trouble walking, likely buffalo.

May 15

3 of the brothers together, pretty sure those don't have names

*This image is copyright of its original author

3 users Like Ngonya's post

Salman B.A.M Offline
( This post was last modified: 06-19-2024, 07:42 PM by BA0701 )

Who is this guy then? from the Split of 3 or from the 4? 

3 users Like Salman B.A.M's post

Super Moderator

(06-19-2024, 05:33 PM)Salman B.A.M Wrote: Who is this guy then? from the Split of 3 or from the 4? 

My friend, I fixed your post. This thread may help you, in posting Instagram links. Don't hesitate to reach out to any of the Moderator Team, with any questions you might have.

As for this male, he looks in terrible shape, I wish we could get the full particulars on what exactly happened in this situation.
1 user Likes BA0701's post

Ngonya Offline

Some of the Saba Bora males fighting for a lioness, 4 of the boys on the sighting. Really impressive commotion they can cause, a true force of Africa!
4 users Like Ngonya's post

BigLion39 Offline

(06-19-2024, 05:33 PM)Salman B.A.M Wrote: Who is this guy then? from the Split of 3 or from the 4? 

This is 1 of the 2 younger brothers of the 7 Saba Bora boys. They joined up with the 7 making 9 for now. It looks to me that the 7 brothers didn't give them a nice welcoming and almost killed him. Not sure if the vets found him or not. Waiting for update from Tariq the guide.
1 user Likes BigLion39's post

BigLion39 Offline

(06-17-2024, 09:22 PM)Ngonya Wrote: 3 of the brothers together, pretty sure those don't have names

I remember Tariq, the guide who followed Bob Jr and now follows the Saba Bora coalition giving them names a while back.

BigLion39 Offline

(06-17-2024, 09:22 PM)Ngonya Wrote: The injured Saba Bora male with two brothers. According to guides, it seems like he was hit by something in the back and is having trouble walking, likely buffalo.

This brother is doing much better now. He's not 100% and will likely carry the injury for life but amazingly  hes healing up.  Such a testament to the resilience and drive to survive from these incredible animals.