There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

Talamatis now in a very similar situation to Othawas from a year ago. 1 male, 1 female and 5 subs of the same age the Othawas were pressured by 2 males who finally got enough confidence.
2 users Like Mapokser's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(08-17-2023, 12:06 AM)Mapokser Wrote: Talamatis now in a very similar situation to Othawas from a year ago. 1 male, 1 female and 5 subs of the same age the Othawas were pressured by 2 males who finally got enough confidence.

I only hope that this does not cause the BDMs to begin venturing further north into S8 and the Talematis area. This incursion was S8 and the Talamatis venturing a little too far south into BDMs area.
3 users Like BA0701's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 08-17-2023, 01:03 AM by Tr1x24 )

(08-17-2023, 12:06 AM)Mapokser Wrote: Talamatis now in a very similar situation to Othawas from a year ago. 1 male, 1 female and 5 subs of the same age the Othawas were pressured by 2 males who finally got enough confidence.

Talamatis and S8 are not pressured by any males, this happened at Chitwa airstrip, on BDM's territory.

Since BDMs establish themelves here, they never ventured further north of Djuma, which is S8 and Talamatis core territory.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

S8 male after BDMs encounter, he is not happy :

12 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

(08-17-2023, 01:00 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote: S8 male after BDMs encounter, he is not happy :

King S8/Imbali is so brave that bet he wanted to intimidate both of the BDMs
4 users Like afortich's post

Friarfan619 Offline

His best bet trying to separate them?? How would 1 male separate 2???

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 08-17-2023, 10:37 AM by Mapokser )

He wouldn't. When a duo is strong enough to not run from a solo male, there's no way to separate them in a clash.

What could happen if he's lucky is that he could find 1/2 BDM patrolling alone ( it's not exactly unusual for this to happen ) and then he could attack him.

But while I don't doubt S8 would whoop any BDM in a 1v1 fight, actually killing or even seriously injuring another adult male 1v1 is nearly impossible, very very rarely has this happened. Just look at Red Road v Mandevu recently. RR got a perfect position and seemingly a good grip to Mandevu's face for a long time, not allowing him to fight back AND a report said Nharhu females helped RR chase him off ( after the fight Mandevu was seen with bites to his back ) still Mandevu left without any serious injuries.

The only occasions ever that I recall a single male defeating a coalition was when the Gwarrie Bush Male Nhlanguleni challenged the 2 dominant males of the Western Sector in 2005, apparently he chased them from a kill in the Sand River and killed one, later ousting the other.

And the other example is Dozie. After Mapogos killed his brother and ousted him from Sabi Sands in 2008, he moved north, killed one of the 2 dominant males in Manyeleti and ousted the other.

So even if S8 ( who may get pressured in the future ) get this amazing chance out of pure luck, what'd most likely happen is what happened in the RR v Mandevu fight or the Tumbela v Nhenha fight. Tumbela also got lucky to fight Nhenha when NK male was off. Tumbela won but in the end it was a meaningless victory since he couldn't deal a strong enough blow to his rival, and once Nhenha rejoined NK, it didn't took them long to oust Tumbela.
4 users Like Mapokser's post

Tylermartin! Offline

(08-17-2023, 02:28 AM)Mapokser Wrote: He wouldn't. When a duo is strong enough to not run from a solo male, there's no way to separate them in a clash.

What could happen if he's lucky is that he could find 1/2 BDM patrolling alone ( it's not exactly unusual for this to happen ) and then he could attack him.

But while I don't doubt S8 would whoop any BDM in a 1v1 fight, actually killing or even seriously injuring another adult male 1v1 is nearly impossible, very very rarely has this happened. Just look at Red Road v Mandevu recently. RR got a perfect position and seemingly a good grip to Mandevu's face for a long time, not allowing him to fight back AND a report said Nharhu females helped RR chase him off ( after the fight Mandevu was seen with bites to his back ) still Mandevu left without any serious injuries.

The only occasions ever that I recall a single male defeating a coalition was when the Gwarrie Bush Male Nhlanguleni challenged the 2 dominant males of the Western Sector in 2005, apparently he chased them from a kill in the Sand River and killed one, later ousting the other.

And the other example is Dozie. After Mapogos killed his brother and ousted him from Sabi Sands in 2008, he moved north, killed one of the 2 dominant males in Manyeleti and ousted the other.

So even if S8 ( who may get pressured in the future ) get this amazing chance out of pure lucky, what'd most likely happen is what happened in the RR v Mandevu fight or the Tumbela v Nhenha fight. Tumbela also got lucky to fight Nhenha when NK male was off. Tumbela won but in the end it was a meaningless victory since he couldn't deal a strong enough blow to his rival, and once Nhenha rejoined NK, it didn't took them long to oust Tumbela.
He’s gotta be At least 10 in a half years old right?
2 users Like Tylermartin!'s post

United States T_Ferguson Online

(08-16-2023, 04:23 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(08-16-2023, 03:58 PM)Horizon Wrote: Yes, I realize this is not a takeover attempt but first time I have seen S8 pushed like that. First time shown a sign of weakness in SS.

I dont think its a sign of weakness, when 2 adult males (BDM's will be 6 in few months) run at you, there is nothing you can do, yet run to save your life.

Solo males play "intimidation card" when dealing with these kind of situations against multiple opponents.

They will try to appear confident, they roar, scent mark, they will charge and chase them, trying to show their opponenents that they are "boss" here, in hope that these things will be enough for their opponents to give up and run away.

But, when opponents "figure" things out, become old and confident enough, they will not get "bluffed" anymore, and tides turn.

When this happens, there is nothing anymore for solo male to do.

I am sorry.  Did I miss something?  Is it expected that the BDM's will grow?  Do they have more partners coming to Sabi?  That would spell trouble for all of Sabi Sands if so, and especially the Kambula's and N'Was.

Mwk85 Offline

(08-17-2023, 05:06 AM)T_Ferguson Wrote:
(08-16-2023, 03:58 PM)Horizon Wrote: Yes, I realize this is not a takeover attempt but first time I have seen S8 pushed like that. First time shown a sign of weakness in SS.

I dont think its a sign of weakness, when 2 adult males (BDM's will be 6 in few months) run at you, there is nothing you can do, yet run to save your life.

Solo males play "intimidation card" when dealing with these kind of situations against multiple opponents.

They will try to appear confident, they roar, scent mark, they will charge and chase them, trying to show their opponenents that they are "boss" here, in hope that these things will be enough for their opponents to give up and run away.

But, when opponents "figure" things out, become old and confident enough, they will not get "bluffed" anymore, and tides turn.

I am sorry.  Did I miss something?  Is it expected that the BDM's will grow?  Do they have more partners coming to Sabi?  That would spell trouble for all of Sabi Sands if so, and especially the Kambula's and N'Was.

Believe he was referring to their age. As in they'll be six (6) years old in a few months.
1 user Likes Mwk85's post

United States T_Ferguson Online

(08-17-2023, 06:43 AM)Mwk85 Wrote:
(08-17-2023, 05:06 AM)T_Ferguson Wrote:

Believe he was referring to their age. As in they'll be six (6) years old in a few months.

Ah.. Thank you.  Not sure why I didn't read it that way.

Australia Horizon Offline
Moderators

(08-17-2023, 12:42 AM)BA0701 Wrote: I only hope that this does not cause the BDMs to begin venturing further north into S8 and the Talematis area.

I was thinking the same when I first read this. There is a chance this could have repercussions as BDMs might feel he was sized up.
1 user Likes Horizon's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

@Tylermartin! Yeah, in fact, IIRC, he is even older than that as there was an old photo of him with Senior Mbiri's brother. He's probably past 11 by now.

He's in an amazing shape though, he has good genes for age, a bit out of his prime, sure, but still a very powerful lion, The problem is that he is outnumbered.
1 user Likes Mapokser's post

Tylermartin! Offline

(08-17-2023, 10:43 AM)Mapokser Wrote: @Tylermartin! Yeah, in fact, IIRC, he is even older than that as there was an old photo of him with Senior Mbiri's brother. He's probably past 11 by now.

He's in an amazing shape though, he has good genes for age, a bit out of his prime, sure, but still a very powerful lion, The problem is that he is outnumbered.

Has he been in any fights in the past I don’t know of any time he’s had a fight with other males since he came to sabi sands and while he was with the Imabli pride that might also be why he’s in great condition lack of fights maybe but he’s definitely an older lion
1 user Likes Tylermartin!'s post

Australia 1999gc8 Offline

(08-16-2023, 02:26 PM)criollo2mil Wrote:
(08-16-2023, 02:07 PM)1999gc8 Wrote:
(08-16-2023, 02:01 PM)criollo2mil Wrote:
(08-16-2023, 01:18 PM)Horizon Wrote: Chased away by BDMs?

Yes.   Here’s some footage of the chase

Edit:  doesn’t seem the twitter is working too good so you’ll have to copy link.   I will post the Imgur link later when I am at a computer since I cannot do so off my phone.  

I fixed the link for you :)

I still can’t seem to see it but I was able to get to the computer and add the Imgur video

It will only work in my reply as I don't have access to fix it in your original link.
1 user Likes 1999gc8's post