There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Lions of Timbavati

criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

Anyone recognize this invader?   Its crazy to think Skokorro stood up to him and did that.  WoW.  

We were front centre in the hair-raising action this morning right here at the Motswari soccer field. Early hours, we heard some commotion and naturally investigated on game drive. An intruder from the North, we are not 100% certain who, came into our Nharhu male’s territory. Injury and all, our Nharhu male held his ground and protected his own like you cannot believe. He was hot on the heels of this intruder and chased him all the way back where he came from. The trespasser had bloody wounds on his face, whilst our resident male had neither a scratch nor a drop of blood on him. Even the giraffes swiftly got out of the way of this fight. Astonishingly, our resident Nharhu male defended his territory, walked away in victory and proved just how much endurance and strength he has despite being physically injured. What an incredible sighting, the adrenaline was pumping as we got caught up in the middle of the chase! ?

•••

#motswari #nharhumale #lion #africanlion #wildestafrica #greaterkruger #timbavati #southafrica #wildlife #safari #wildlifesafari #capturethewild #lionsightings #wildafrica #animalkingdom #instawild #natgeowild #bbcearth #wildlifereels #wildplanet #lionking #lionsoftimbavati

Attached Files Image(s)

12 users Like criollo2mil's post

United Kingdom lionuk Offline
Contributor

(10-18-2022, 09:57 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: Anyone recognize this invader?
Could it be one of the one of the three River pride males?
3 users Like lionuk's post

criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

(10-19-2022, 04:02 PM)lionuk Wrote:
(10-18-2022, 09:57 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: Anyone recognize this invader?
Could it be one of the one of the three River pride males?

Yes,   That’s been the consensus.    His half-brother.
4 users Like criollo2mil's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

We were very fortunate to have seen the  Young Scorro male a few times again in September 2022.

*This image is copyright of its original author

10 users Like Potato's post

criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

(10-19-2022, 05:23 PM)Potato Wrote: We were very fortunate to have seen the  Young Scorro male a few times again in September 2022.

The Orpen son.   Can’t wait till he’s able to find a partner or two.    He’s one beautiful Boy!
6 users Like criollo2mil's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(10-19-2022, 05:23 PM)Potato Wrote: We were very fortunate to have seen the  Young Scorro male a few times again in September 2022.

Skorro breakaway looks so regal!!
4 users Like T I N O's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

Vuyela male at Simbavati Waterside. Image by Richard Krige, October 17, 2022

11 users Like T I N O's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

The larger Mbiri male was seen at Ngala with the white sub-adult Birmingham lioness 
Image by: Nick

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

The Young Avoca Male is starting to see his last days on the Thornybush Reserve with the pressure of the Guernsey Male and the ever present Black Dam Male Coalition.

We are in for a few very exciting weeks to come here @waterbuckgamelodge .

9 users Like Potato's post

SalemMagi Offline
Lunar Leo

(10-23-2022, 01:38 PM)Potato Wrote: The Young Avoca Male is starting to see his last days on the Thornybush Reserve with the pressure of the Guernsey Male and the ever present Black Dam Male Coalition.

We are in for a few very exciting weeks to come here @waterbuckgamelodge .

Stay safe Young Avoca Male. He is beautiful and the black and white portrait is pretty magnificent. What is this boys story? I am only familiar with the 3 Northern Avocas and the 2 Southern Avocas. Thank you
5 users Like SalemMagi's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(10-23-2022, 02:22 PM)SalemMagi Wrote: Stay safe Young Avoca Male. He is beautiful and the black and white portrait is pretty magnificent. What is this boys story? I am only familiar with the 3 Northern Avocas and the 2 Southern Avocas. Thank you

He is son of Mapoza male, he is coming to an age where he will go nomadic and leave the pride (or forced to do so), unlucky for him, he doesn’t have brothers.
7 users Like Tr1x24's post

United Kingdom lionuk Offline
Contributor

(10-23-2022, 02:47 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: he doesn’t have brothers.
He can join up with the Skorro Breakaway male..
7 users Like lionuk's post

SalemMagi Offline
Lunar Leo

(10-23-2022, 02:47 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(10-23-2022, 02:22 PM)SalemMagi Wrote: Stay safe Young Avoca Male. He is beautiful and the black and white portrait is pretty magnificent. What is this boys story? I am only familiar with the 3 Northern Avocas and the 2 Southern Avocas. Thank you

He is son of Mapoza male, he is coming to an age where he will go nomadic and leave the pride (or forced to do so), unlucky for him, he doesn’t have brothers.

Ahh, THANK YOU for sharing his backstory. May the Young Avoca Male know Peace and Protection during his journey. He does come from a STRONG lineage <3
5 users Like SalemMagi's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Tanda Tula update

I usually like to start with my highlight of the week, but there were just so many magical moments during my week of driving that it will be difficult to choose a favorite. So, I guess I will start the way I usually do with the lions, and the fact that the Giraffe Pride continued to spend time within our concession was no doubt a highlight. By the time they eventually moved off the property, they had spent almost two full weeks in our concession. Considering that they usually only pop in for a few hours at a time, it was an absolute treat to have them as a daily presence on the game drive. What has undoubtedly led to this behavior was that the seven little cubs of the pride are now getting more mobile and moving with the pride, and being taken to kill. Following these kills, the pride usually returns to a nearby waterhole and spends time around there, leaving the cubs in the vicinity when they go off hunting again, only to return to the cubs to fetch them for a kill, or to give them milk. With the addition of the seven cubs, the pride is now standing at 25 members – two males, six females, ten sub-adults, and seven cubs – and an absolute treat to spend time with, as there are lions everywhere. The wildebeest and zebra herds are probably less excited about their presence, and the pride was found with the remains of one of each of them during the week, as well as other occasions when they simply had full bellies, but no kill was found. Towards the end of the week, the pride did leave the seven cubs on our side and move off but returned to fetch them and take them to a zebra kill they had made.

It was just as well that the Giraffe Pride was so cooperative, as the Mayambula Pride in the east was far less so. Reports were received that one of the adult lionesses has a seriously injured – possibly broken – leg and is very immobile about a kilometer to the south of our boundary. With her in this state, the pride has been spending its time outside of our concession, and we can only hope that she makes a recovery and the pride begin moving within our area again. The Skorro males did make a few trips north and deeper into our area of the Timbavati, and it is a good idea that they do, as both the Vuyela (three males) and Birmingham Breakaways (six males) were seen walking around in the western part of their territory. The Vuyela males were found finishing off the remains of a kill that they had possibly stolen from the Birmingham Breakaways. The River Pride also spent two days in the area to round off a great week of lion viewing in central Timbavati.

12 users Like Potato's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

A fantastic sighting of Skorokoro and the Western pride in the Timbavati crossing on Ingwelala.
Photo courtesy of: Max Schiller