There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Lions of Timbavati

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

(10-28-2022, 09:55 AM)Timbavati Wrote: The Mongawane males relaxing after a meal.
PC: Ziggi Hugo

*This image is copyright of its original author

My favorites lions are looking great. Nice pics!!
4 users Like afortich's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

"A tough reminder of the cruel but necessary cycle of life. Rest in peace.

"On the morning of the 12th of October, the Guernsey male was seen mating with another Avoca Female, and one of the six Black Dam males was also in the area. The Monwana male was nowhere to be seen. I then saw a spotted hyena running with a male lion's paw in its mouth!

I went to the Timbavati River and found the carcass of a male lion. It took a few days of image comparison and monitoring to get a full confirmation that it was, sadly, the Monwana Male" - a recollection from Royal Malewane guide, @b.davis.wildlife.

It is believed that the Monwana male was killed by the Black Dam males the previous night over territory and mating rights. What will this mean for his coalition partner, the Guernsey male? It is only a matter of time before he is chased away, or meets a similar fate."

9 users Like Tonpa's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 10-28-2022, 07:47 PM by Tonpa )

Seems they did infact catch him yesterday, they gave him a beating and he managed to escape

"4 of the black dam males heard the rival Guerney male roaring and they shot off in the direction of the roars! They found him and gave him a good beating, the Guernsey male managed to slip away and the 4 black dams continued hot on his trail roaring constantly until a large heard of elephant's entered the scene and steered the black dams off his scent!
To end it off the sunset was also magic!"

8 users Like Tonpa's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

(10-28-2022, 05:20 PM)Tonpa Wrote: "A tough reminder of the cruel but necessary cycle of life. Rest in peace.

"On the morning of the 12th of October, the Guernsey male was seen mating with another Avoca Female, and one of the six Black Dam males was also in the area. The Monwana male was nowhere to be seen. I then saw a spotted hyena running with a male lion's paw in its mouth!

I went to the Timbavati River and found the carcass of a male lion. It took a few days of image comparison and monitoring to get a full confirmation that it was, sadly, the Monwana Male" - a recollection from Royal Malewane guide, @b.davis.wildlife.

It is believed that the Monwana male was killed by the Black Dam males the previous night over territory and mating rights. What will this mean for his coalition partner, the Guernsey male? It is only a matter of time before he is chased away, or meets a similar fate."

How old was the death Monwana?? Didn't him and Guernsey chase the Black Dam young males a little while ago?? Thanks!
2 users Like afortich's post

DARK MANE Offline
Banned

(10-28-2022, 05:20 PM)Tonpa Wrote: It is believed that the Monwana male was killed by the Black Dam males the previous night over territory and mating rights. What will this mean for his coalition partner, the Guernsey male? It is only a matter of time before he is chased away, or meets a similar fate."
Ohhh.... 
This is so cruel. He was very good looking boy. Here numbers play vital role. 
Where is 6th black dam boy. Is he fine? 
And young skorro boy is still with avoca girls?
1 user Likes DARK MANE's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

(10-28-2022, 09:06 PM)afortich Wrote:
(10-28-2022, 05:20 PM)Tonpa Wrote: "A tough reminder of the cruel but necessary cycle of life. Rest in peace.

How old was the death Monwana?? Didn't him and Guernsey chase the Black Dam young males a little while ago?? Thanks!

Born 2018 I read, not sure which month
2 users Like Tonpa's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

(10-28-2022, 09:10 PM)DARK MANE Wrote:
(10-28-2022, 05:20 PM)Tonpa Wrote: It is believed that the Monwana male was killed by the Black Dam males the previous night over territory and mating rights. What will this mean for his coalition partner, the Guernsey male? It is only a matter of time before he is chased away, or meets a similar fate."
Ohhh.... 
This is so cruel. He was very good looking boy. Here numbers play vital role. 
Where is 6th black dam boy. Is he fine? 
And young skorro boy is still with avoca girls?

I think he was mating with one of them in September, not sure where he is at the moment. The guernsey male was mating with them after him in October

There should be six BDMs around yeah, but seems only five seen recently? Not too sure
4 users Like Tonpa's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

The four Black dam young males seen today at RoyalMalewane in Thornybush. Finally, the four boys got their nicknames by the Thornybush ranger 
PC: Brendan Davis

8 users Like T I N O's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 10-29-2022, 12:53 AM by T I N O )

(10-28-2022, 09:06 PM)afortich Wrote:

He was born very likely in early to late 2018. He was still young, approaching to his heyday...
2 users Like T I N O's post

Germany BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator
( This post was last modified: 10-29-2022, 01:06 AM by BA0701 )

(10-29-2022, 12:21 AM)Timbavati Wrote: The four Black dam young males seen today at RoyalMalewane in Thornybush. Finally, the four boys got their nicknames by the Thornybush ranger 
PC: Brendan Davis

All those nasty wounds, seems they were indeed the ones who ended the young Monwana male's life.
4 users Like BA0701's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 10-29-2022, 01:00 AM by Tr1x24 )

(10-29-2022, 12:21 AM)Timbavati Wrote: The four Black dam young males seen today at RoyalMalewane in Thornybush. Finally, the four boys got their nicknames by the Thornybush ranger 

So 2 spliting brothers again split?

Looks like occasionaly they reunite with this 4 on a kills when they are in the same area, but dont stick around for long.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(10-29-2022, 12:56 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:

So 2 spliting brothers again split?

Looks like occasionaly they reunite with this 4 on a kills, but dont stick around for long.

It seems. Interesting behavior within the Black dam coalition. They recently chased the Guernsey male off. Let's see what will happens. Hope that big boy didn't meet the same fate that his partner had...
6 users Like T I N O's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 10-29-2022, 01:13 AM by Tr1x24 )

Any info about Xikukutsu's?

Are they back south/Sandrigham?

They appear further north in Thornybush giving chase to 4 BDM's and had interaction with Mapoza month or so ago, but nothing after that.

And by the looks of it, BDM's are starting to establish themselves in Thornybush, feeling quite confident and overpowering young Monwana/Guernsy coalition.

Will be interesting to see if will Xikukutsu's again respond to this, or will they stay south.
5 users Like Tr1x24's post

Gavskrr Offline
magVarseVE

Are the limping monwana male and the young giraffe far from this area? it was once reported that they were on a killing spree with the male guernsey and monwana, it would not be a bad business for Guernsey to join them or the male Scorro
4 users Like Gavskrr's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(10-29-2022, 01:12 AM)Gavskrr Wrote: Are the limping monwana male and the young giraffe far from this area? it was once reported that they were on a killing spree with the male guernsey and monwana, it would not be a bad business for Guernsey to join them or the male Scorro

Not far, yesterday or these recent days they where seen just north of this area, in Giraffe pride territory, getting chased by Hercules/Sumatra.

Yea, they are familiar with Guernsy, hope they link again, both parties would benefit at this point.
5 users Like Tr1x24's post