There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 5 Vote(s) - 4.4 Average
The Birmingham Males

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(10-31-2021, 06:18 AM)Timbavati Wrote: Tinyo of the Birmingham males in Ngala Private Game Reserve in 2012
Photo by: Terry Allen

*This image is copyright of its original author

Do you know which month in 2012 was this taken?
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(10-31-2021, 09:05 AM)Slayerd Wrote: The Souther Matimbas lost it very quickly after running from the Bboys to the Matshipiri.
That is because of direct competition, not because of the location. Prime Matshapiris were not to be mess with and the Birminghams especially not quite in their prime anymore rather wouldn't do better than Matimbas if they were at their place. Your list of coalitions defeated by Birminghams some absurd. Neither PC males or Nwalungu or Nwas ever challanged Birminghams. Each of them moved to the other arenas to contest other lands. You even mentioned in your post some transpasing youngsters mentioned by Mala Mala. They weren't even photographed. They easly would be just some 2 and half or so year olds. They also definitelly were not challangers to Birminghams lands. The only challanges Birminghams faced in the last 2 years were single Othawa male and 2 Avocas. Also even Avocas did not pushed on them too hard and still focus more around Nkuchuma pride insteed on taking over Kambula pride.

(10-31-2021, 09:05 AM)Slayerd Wrote: Western Sabi Sands that the Mapogos, Majingilane and the Southern Matimbas held at the end of their reigns was far easier to hold.

Lol you must be joking. Holding from 6 Matimbas (it that case it was rather just recon mission similar to 4 Nwas vs Birminghams, but still rather we would all agree to Matimbas were much stronger coalition than Nwas) and from 4 Salatis was easy and holding from 2 Avocas was very hard xD Times at the end of Mapogos reign (2011/2012) were the times of the strongers competition in Sabi Sands in the last 2 dekades, maybe even by far, while last years 2018-2021 were one of the easiest if not the easiest in terms of the male lions competition in Sabi Sands. Now the competition is a bit stronger with arrival of Imbali male, coming of age of PC males and N'was getting older and stronger, but those are still rather easy times with even big piece of land (Singita) being still at vacat. The current times are not even comparable to 2011/2012.
2 users Like Potato's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 10-31-2021, 02:55 PM by Tr1x24 )

In past 2 years, Nhenha and Tinyo have more reports/sightings of chasing/clashing with other males (regardless if they directly challenge them or not, if they didnt show teeth to N'ws for example they would challenge them shortly after, and lets not pretend this was not "serious" clash, Nhenha/Tinyo would definitely kill N'ws male if they manage to caught 1, you could see that in their looks) then all other coalitions in Sabi Sands combine.

But @Potato will still try his hardest to discredit them.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

I think you are giving them a bit too much credit here.

Tinyo was in a very bad shape for a while and seperated from the rest. If any of those coalitions found him back then, it wouldnt have been much of a fight.

And while Nhenha alone could have chased off a young nomadic coalition. Challenging a coalition of lions in their prime like the 2 Avocas or 4 Nwaswitshakas without backup would have been a different story.

Formidable coalition or not. It really was down to luck they werent forced in a big fight in that period. Ultimately, time is not on their side.
2 users Like Duco Ndona's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Also Tinyo was in bad shape for just like 2 weeks and apart from that he is and was in good shape. Saying that Birminghams gave up territory because Tinyo was/is in no shape to defend it doesn't make sense.

South Africa Slayerd Offline
( This post was last modified: 10-31-2021, 04:50 PM by Slayerd )

(10-31-2021, 01:44 PM)Potato Wrote:
(10-31-2021, 09:05 AM)Slayerd Wrote: The Souther Matimbas lost it very quickly after running from the Bboys to the Matshipiri.
That is because of direct competition, not because of the location. Prime Matshapiris were not to be mess with and the Birminghams especially not quite in their prime anymore rather wouldn't do better than Matimbas if they were at their place. Your list of coalitions defeated by Birminghams some absurd. Neither PC males or Nwalungu or Nwas ever challanged Birminghams. Each of them moved to the other arenas to contest other lands. You even mentioned in your post some transpasing youngsters mentioned by Mala Mala. They weren't even photographed. They easly would be just some 2 and half or so year olds. They also definitelly were not challangers to Birminghams lands. The only challanges Birminghams faced in the last 2 years were single Othawa male and 2 Avocas. Also even Avocas did not pushed on them too hard and still focus more around Nkuchuma pride insteed on taking over Kambula pride.

(10-31-2021, 09:05 AM)Slayerd Wrote: Western Sabi Sands that the Mapogos, Majingilane and the Southern Matimbas held at the end of their reigns was far easier to hold.

Lol you must be joking. Holding from 6 Matimbas (it that case it was rather just recon mission similar to 4 Nwas vs Birminghams, but still rather we would all agree to Matimbas were much stronger coalition than Nwas) and from 4 Salatis was easy and holding from 2 Avocas was very hard xD Times at the end of Mapogos reign (2011/2012) were the times of the strongers competition in Sabi Sands in the last 2 dekades, maybe even by far, while last years 2018-2021 were one of the easiest if not the easiest in terms of the male lions competition in Sabi Sands. Now the competition is a bit stronger with arrival of Imbali male, coming of age of PC males and N'was getting older and stronger, but those are still rather easy times with even big piece of land (Singita) being still at vacat. The current times are not even comparable to 2011/2012
It is the location, the Matshipiri Males pushed them into other males, in fact they pushed them north into the Bboys who in early 2017, Nhenha and Mfumo sent them running in Cheetah Plains. Next point I never said defeated not once in my post like some type of war, I was speaking to the defense of their territory and pushing other males out in order to protect their territory. Why do you think the PC boy, Nwalungu Males and Nwaswitshaka moved to compete for other lands? Was it just a feeling? You say the 4 Nwaswitshaka wasnt challenging the Bboys? They were clearly making noise or the Bboys wouldn't have even come south and the Bboys sent them running south as 2 vs 4. The Bboys did exactly what the Mapogos did with the 6 Matimbas, they sent possible challengers running. Im not going to compare this coalition to that coalition like you do. I'm comparing location, western Sabi Sand can be pushed from far less choke points then central. That's obvious. You don't even realize why lions even push territories. It's not because this lion is stronger than that lion, it's because of pressure and presence. You don't know how all these things would have played out in other times. You're just using a time where lion warfare was more extreme to judge the Bboys when you have no idea.
3 users Like Slayerd's post

United Kingdom Hairy tummy Offline

Hi potato, i have great respect for your knowledge on lions but it seems like you tend to focus on the negatives when it comes to the Birmingham boys.you dont seem to do this with any other coalition, Is there any particular reason for this?
3 users Like Hairy tummy's post

(10-31-2021, 03:47 PM)Duco Ndona Wrote: I think you are giving them a bit too much credit here.

Tinyo was in a very bad shape for a while and seperated from the rest. If any of those coalitions found him back then, it wouldnt have been much of a fight.

And while Nhenha alone could have chased off a young nomadic coalition. Challenging a coalition of lions in their prime like the 2 Avocas or 4 Nwaswitshakas without backup would have been a different story.

Formidable coalition or not. It really was down to luck they werent forced in a big fight in that period. Ultimately, time is not on their side.

Luck or a strong presence, like I said Nhenha and Tinyo turned the Nwaswitshaka away from the north. I doubt they will even try to push north unless the Bboys are pushed out or die. It's all about presence, the Avocas didn't push further because the Bboys still had presence further south. It's not like Tinyo wasn't roaring.
1 user Likes Slayerd's post

WildRev Offline

(10-31-2021, 04:54 PM)Slayerd Wrote:
(10-31-2021, 03:47 PM)Duco Ndona Wrote: I think you are giving them a bit too much credit here.

Luck or a strong presence, like I said Nhenha and Tinyo turned the Nwaswitshaka away from the north. I doubt they will even try to push north unless the Bboys are pushed out or die. It's all about presence, the Avocas didn't push further because the Bboys still had presence further south. It's not like Tinyo wasn't roaring.

Or they (Avocas/N'waswitshakas) don't push further because they are satisfied with what they have at the moment.
1 user Likes WildRev's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(10-31-2021, 04:29 PM)Slayerd Wrote: Why do you think the PC boy
Because they had easier territory to take near by. There is no reason to take risk of fighting with Avocas or Birminghams when they can just easly take uncontested Singita without taking any risk.

(10-31-2021, 04:29 PM)Slayerd Wrote: Nwaswitshaka moved to compete for other lands?
Perhaps by the time they had that run in with Birminghams they didn't feel confident enough or did not want to take extra risk while they already had recured territory in Sabi Sabi and now maybe for they prefere to push in other direction or are contend with amount lands and pride they have. That this coalition of 4 males in prime are scared of 2 ageing Birminghams are among least expected reasons for them not to expand north.

(10-31-2021, 04:29 PM)Slayerd Wrote: Im not going to compare this coalition to that coalition like you do. I'm comparing location
That is way your way of thinking doesn't make sense and is leading to claims like Mapogos had easier way to defend their territory than Birminghams have.
(10-31-2021, 04:29 PM)Slayerd Wrote: That's obvious. You don't even realize why lions even push territories.

Ofc lol
(10-31-2021, 04:37 PM)Hairy tummy Wrote: Hi potato, i have great respect for your knowledge on lions but it seems like you tend to focus on the negatives when it comes to the Birmingham boys.you dont seem to do this with any other coalition, Is there any particular reason for this?

That is just your imperssion. I imagine that is because if I write somethink good about Birminghams or somethink good/bad about just about anyother coalition it goes quiet and might be unnotice, while when I say somethink bad about Birminghams there in tons of sh*it storm from Birmingham's fanboys and such thinks never go unnotice.
(10-31-2021, 04:54 PM)Slayerd Wrote: It's all about presence, the Avocas didn't push further because the Bboys still had presence further south. It's not like Tinyo wasn't roaring.
Birmingham's presence wasn't stopping Avocas so far and now they are supposed to get more worry? It doesn't make sense.
1 user Likes Potato's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(10-31-2021, 12:26 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(10-31-2021, 06:18 AM)Timbavati Wrote: Tinyo of the Birmingham males in Ngala Private Game Reserve in 2012
Photo by: Terry Allen

Do you know which month in 2012 was this taken?

No, Unfortunately, I don't know in which month these pics were taken. However, I'll try to find the month of the pics
3 users Like T I N O's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

The Birminghams spend that time largely seperated. So even if they roared together. It would still gave away that they are alone and vulnerable. So it wasn't presence.

I am just saying it was a period where the coalition could have been easily evicted if an attack took place and that they were lucky none took place. Not that its to blame for territorial changes that did occur as they mostly occured outside that time period.

They are a formidable coalition. But not superlions that could single handly wipe out an entire coalition with a single paw. They have their limits.

T I N O Offline
Moderators

Hi guys.  At this stage. I think it would be good if we just stop with this debate to avoid flooding “The Birmingham males thread" with these non-stop discussions about these coalitions. Each of us will have a different point of view of the lion dynamics and that is normal as long as it’s totally respectable.  Note, We should not call each-other hater or fanboy. It's disrespectful behavior on this forum and unnecessary.
10 users Like T I N O's post

( This post was last modified: 10-31-2021, 09:42 PM by Slayerd )

(10-31-2021, 06:37 PM)Duco Ndona Wrote: The Birminghams spend that time largely seperated. So even if they roared together. It would still gave away that they are alone and vulnerable. So it wasn't presence.

I am just saying it was a period where the coalition could have been easily evicted if an attack took place and that they were lucky none took place. Not that its to blame for territorial changes that did occur as they mostly occured outside that time period.

They are a formidable coalition. But not superlions that could single handly wipe out an entire coalition with a single paw. They have their limits.

I didn't call them superlions and I don't think they're unstoppable. I'm just giving them the credit they deserve. It doesn't matter if they're separated on occasion. A presence is a presence.  It's disrespectful in my opinion to discredit them and call their reign luck or to say they aren't doing a good job. Not to mention that people have been waiting for their end for 2 years now. And it's pretty weird how Potato finds every loop hole in order to discredit them. I won't argue anymore. It's pretty useless.
3 users Like Slayerd's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 10-31-2021, 10:45 PM by Duco Ndona )

I am not calling their entire reign luck though. Just them getting through that sickness. And the superlion thing was more to the idea that one single Birmingham could defeat both Avocas.

But anyway, lets move on.